Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
iancognito

Jordan Ayew (interest confirmed by Percy)

On 16/08/2024 at 09:44, The Doctor said:

god I hope Rudkin pulls off one of his disaster classes in these negotiations 

What does he do, negotiate one clause a day? We move at the pace of a snail!

3 minutes ago, markko said:

What does he do, negotiate one clause a day? We move at the pace of a snail!

I know there are a couple of Rudkin defenders still out there. Very odd.

But this deal in particular highlights just how slow we move, there's barely any competition, we've known about it for literal weeks and even with us grossly over paying, cooper said a few are basically done on Monday....and it's still not done.

Not a signing to get excited about. Remember Claridge? Journeyman. He played out of his skin. Held the ball. Won it back and that is exactly what we will need to stay in this league. It is not going to be pretty. We can't spend our way to safety so battle it out will have to do. We got a point Monday. I thought we would get walloped but there is a spirit there and we need to add to that. The fee is not horrendous. Let's hope he is on a sensible wage. Welcome and good luck JA!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, murphy said:

I think it's precisely because we have seen him kick a ball that many of us are so horrified that a big chunk of our budget has been spent on this 32 year old journeyman, in the last year of his contract.  Palace must be laughing!

We know exactly what Jordan Ayew does and doesn't bring.

I understand your points, but there seems to be an opinion that he'll fail here before he's even pulled the shirt on. From what I can gather, Palace fans really rate him, particularly his work ethic. I don't see him as a journeyman really, I think he's only played for Swansea and Palace (I maybe wrong). I'm not sure £5m is a huge chunk of our budget, unlike Skipp who cost £20m. Sometimes older journeyman players come here and do well - Huth, Simpson, Fuchs, Cottee, Solano et al. I've never analysed his performances for Palace, but yes he's not a goal scorer, but maybe his role will be akin to that of Okazaki. Sometimes it's completing the jigsaw that is required.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markko said:

Not a signing to get excited about. Remember Claridge? Journeyman. He played out of his skin. Held the ball. Won it back and that is exactly what we will need to stay in this league. It is not going to be pretty. We can't spend our way to safety so battle it out will have to do. We got a point Monday. I thought we would get walloped but there is a spirit there and we need to add to that. The fee is not horrendous. Let's hope he is on a sensible wage. Welcome and good luck JA!

Stop talking positively will you. Thats just not on ok! :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, Iwebema said:

I know there are a couple of Rudkin defenders still out there. Very odd.

But this deal in particular highlights just how slow we move, there's barely any competition, we've known about it for literal weeks and even with us grossly over paying, cooper said a few are basically done on Monday....and it's still not done.

Or... the player takes time to think about it, or we're actually juggling several transfers at a time and if your preferred target drops though, you progress one of the others.  What Cooper said "We’re intending to, and we have to bring in more players before the end of the window. Hopefully this week before Fulham" 

There are plenty of reasons, but let's not ignore another chance to moan. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Or... the player takes time to think about it, or we're actually juggling several transfers at a time and if your preferred target drops though, you progress one of the others.  What Cooper said "We’re intending to, and we have to bring in more players before the end of the window. Hopefully this week before Fulham" 

There are plenty of reasons, but let's not ignore another chance to moan. 

Like I say, very odd.

2 minutes ago, Iwebema said:

Like I say, very odd.

It's not odd, you quoted him incorrectly and completely ignore very good reasons as to why an interest we knew about weeks ago has only just converted into a transfer. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

It's not a play on words - skint means we have no money. I'm suggesting we have money, but just can't spend it.

Lets hope your right about the money situation because a decent forward will be atleast £20mill

• Like 1

Just now, Dr The Singh said:

Lets hope your right about the money situation because a decent forward will be atleast £20mill

I do concur regarding a decent forward and we may have to pay £30m, but it may well have to be a loan, with obligation to buy if we stay up, so that we stay within the rules this year.

I definitely know a few Palace fans who are positive about him. They agree he us overpriced, but ultimately, its what he brings to the team.

He maybe brings okazaki vibes, and if so, all good. It might help fatawu too, bring Ghanaian... not that he really needs it!

Anyone willing to join the 'Fight' is good by me.

No doubt about it, we've lost players in this window because of the points deduction threat. 

It's just a pity Cannons not getting a chance to prove himself. :dunno:

• Like 2

I’ve calmed down and realise whilst this signing isn’t sexy it’s probably necessary in terms of filling the squad but also with our ultimate goal of staying up he brings a skillset and experience we need.

yes he’s not the right side of 30 but players are looking after themselves nowadays. He’s not Wayne Rooney where at the age of 32 he can’t run or play the same as before, he’s pretty consistent 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

£5m is a lot of money for a 32-year-old, as I said before, so was £500k for Cottee, though. So long as he contributes well for a couple of years and we don't hand out a silly contract, then frankly, the money is nothing in football terms. Let's get in an exciting young striker as well to supplement it. 

Anyone whining about what he brings, remember you are the same people who say you should trust what other fans say about their players.

"Ayew is the perfect player to see a game over the line. A right pain in the arse."

"I will miss his dogged dedication, and so I fear will the team."

"However, whist it's good business for a guy who is 33 in a few weeks i will miss him a bit and his ability to play anywhere across the front 3 was invaluable. He deputised well for Olise last season, which is a big compliment."

"Good Luck Jordan...... great servant to the club who always gave his all for the shirt."

"Absolutely. Any team with a few players with his attitude wouldn't go far wrong. Always willing to do whatever and play wherever he was asked. A real team player and as you say anyone who can score a goal like his against WHam isn't short on ability either. "

"sad to see him leave. His tenacity and determination were second to none. Plus his work rate was amazing."

"Ayew is an experienced head he is one of the most fouled players in the division for a reason, he is a pest."

cottee was a proven goal scorer, Ayew is proven to be incapable of finding the net, not the same at all

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

cottee was a proven goal scorer, Ayew is proven to be incapable of finding the net, not the same at all

Yet Palace have played him 35+ games a season for 5 years.  Maybe he brings something else to the attack?

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

Yet Palace have played him 35+ games a season for 5 years.  Maybe he brings something else to the attack?

And we're notoriously one of the lowest goalscorers in the league even with players like Zaha up there too. That is not a positive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Another thing that irks me about this deal is we'd never be able to push a club to do the same to us for a player at a similar stage to Ayew in their career. We had title winning heroes like Okazaki, King and Ulloa begging to leave and thr best we got for them was a nominal fee or a loan.

We aren't a serious football club

Ric with the greatest of respect it is a different time in football now, prem teams pay premiums to other prem teams. 

5 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Ric with the greatest of respect it is a different time in football now, prem teams pay premiums to other prem teams. 

That's been the case for a long while and yet we've never been able to. Although it's no surprise as we struggle to sell players as rule. We are without doubt on of the worst clubs in the Premier League in the last 5+ years at moving players on. I did the research a while back, it's astonishing.

This signing just show how low we are as a club and this shows they will literally sign anyone that wants to join! You would have to say under Enzo this signing wouldn’t be happening I think the only reason cooper got the job is because he’s a yes man simple as that 

Edited by Thebluefox85

13 minutes ago, 1972 Fox said:

Recent history tells us that this is not likely to happen. :(

How recent you talking? Because we signed Cannon, Fatawu and Mavedidi last season. Contrary to what people would like us to believe, we mix it up.