Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
iancognito

Jordan Ayew (interest confirmed by Percy)

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I feel like I'm lobbing a sausage down Gallowtree Gate with my moaning. 100% agree. I don't think fans realise the diminishing squad value we have and how perilous that is for a club that finds it difficult to sell anyone other than the very best occasionally. The strategy at this club hasn't had the reset we were all hoping for.

Isn’t the first priority survival at this point? Not who we might sell in the future, because being in the PL is our biggest source of revenue. Skipp, Golding and Okali we’ve no idea at this point. Reid and Ayew surely seen at short term options to do a job. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I feel like I'm lobbing a sausage down Gallowtree Gate with my moaning. 100% agree. I don't think fans realise the diminishing squad value we have and how perilous that is for a club that finds it difficult to sell anyone other than the very best occasionally. The strategy at this club hasn't had the reset we were all hoping for.

It short term that’s for sure , but the plan the club has you would imagine is short term at the moment make sure we stay up in the premier league and then the owners can sell up..

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

Mavididi is worth 3 times as much as a Premier League player as he is in the Championship. We can't afford to go down.

True, but not if he plays second fiddle to a Bobby Reid or Jordan Ayew.

As I said though, it may not pan out that way and Mavididi will end up starting more than he doesn’t. Just a bit of a concerning transfer in my opinion for more than one reason.

Not moaning for moaning sake by the way, just a discussion!

• Like 1

For me, this all depends on that last sentence of Percy's tweet and those two other attackers. Ofcourse it makes no financial sense, that goes without saying but we can't expect anything less under this regime, all we can hope for is it works on the pitch whilst being financially moronic. 

The plan was clearly Ayew on two of Zaha and Hlozek. I would have been fine with that. It would have given us a strong array of attackers for a relegation candidate whilst allowing us to loan out a few. So it really depends on getting two players around the same level as those two. If we don't get them in or they are below the level of quality we need then the Ayew deal will be far worse than it could be. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I was trying to think along these lines last night in my attempt to rationalise this.

We paid £7.5 million for Coady who’s hardly played - and yet, I’d argue he’s been value for that fee based on what he’s brought to the club off the pitch.

I’m certain a key aspect that appealed to the club with Ayew is that he’s a leader.

When we were at our most successful in recent years, we had former captains all across the pitch.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Micky said:

I'll love it when you are all eating your words!

If he ends up being brilliant and a great bit of business, most people will be happy to eat their words. We want the club to do well after all.

But surely you at least understand the opposite point of view on transfers like this? Obviously you don’t have to agree.

11 minutes ago, PNM said:

Simply…give the guy a chance. If it doesn’t work out then fair enough. Surely us Leicester fans realise high cost ‘exciting’ transfers don’t equal quality on the pitch, and often low cost ‘uninspiring’ transfers go on to do really well.

I don’t think a good chunk of the fanbase want us to splurge £20-30 million on high cost ‘exciting’ transfers. I just wish the club would be smarter in their transfer approach, go back to the approach that served us well in the past, signing young talents for moderate fees then making good profit on them, we have seemingly moved away from that approach and it’s bloody annoying.

Over the years the team has been sprinkled with profitable assets, one of which we stupidly let go for free in Tielemans. 

From our first team squad(Discounting some of our academy players), who are our profitable assets right now? I’d say we only have two in Hermansen and Fatawu. While we’ll also be praying that the likes of Faes and Kristiansen have the seasons of their lives. 

This squad is too littered with ageing players, signing Ayew is yet another signing that won’t help us long term, and it’s also littered with assets that you just know we’ll struggle to get rid of in a few years time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

lol

This is the place to discuss transfer strategy etc, I don’t see it as moaning. Your points are fair.

It’s not as worrying with Fatawu as he’s young and we have time. But Mavididi is 26…we really can’t be wasting time with him. Next couple of years are crucial in terms of his development.

Of course we could be concerned about nothing and they’ll be the main men and the newcomers just rotation options. Time will tell I guess.

Hoping it's a case of Ayew and Bobby being used when we need some control/ experienced heads depending on game and game situation.   Coops has mentioned numerous times he wants different options for different moments in games and different sorts of opposition.  

Weren't we all crying out for flexibility in a manager?

Of course this coping mechanism won't work out for me when we start with Ayew and Bobby in our next game.  

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

How recent you talking? Because we signed Cannon, Fatawu and Mavedidi last season. Contrary to what people would like us to believe, we mix it up. 

I'll concede on Cannon (although so far not stepping up as exciting) but Fatawu and Mavedidi are not strikers.

Edited by 1972 Fox

I hope people realise that with all this cynicism that we've indulged in with this transfer (myself included), absolutely guarantees that Ayew will score/assist a last last last gasp winner that will help keep us up?

With that in mind:

cdb.jpg

• Haha 1

More from Palace fans...

Ayew is my player of the season. Some of his ball control and skill yesterday was sublime and a joy to watch.

It is such a relief to be safe from relegation (99%) with 9 games left.

I'd like to see us press for a best ever points and league finish. Looking at the fixture list, I think we could get 9 points...it's hard to say though, but given the pressure is less now I hope that transpires to a continued good run, touch wood.

His close ball control skills are as good as Wilfs. I think he needed to feel the love and be wanted, as he didn't look this type of player whilst he was on loan. I wonder if we should reunite him with his brother we might bring the best out of him too?

hope he’s with us for a very long time. I just love his passion and he is also a fantastic football player. What a bargain he has turned out to be.

I think if JA had have left over the summer, we collectively would have shrugged our shoulders, muttered "oh well" and moved on.

He's had a n extraordinary season compared to last, probably our best player with the ball at his feet and a contender for "player of the season" for us.

One of his great assets is that he rarely gives the ball away cheaply - something many of his team mates do all too commonly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Micky said:

More from Palace fans...

Ayew is my player of the season. Some of his ball control and skill yesterday was sublime and a joy to watch.

It is such a relief to be safe from relegation (99%) with 9 games left.

I'd like to see us press for a best ever points and league finish. Looking at the fixture list, I think we could get 9 points...it's hard to say though, but given the pressure is less now I hope that transpires to a continued good run, touch wood.

His close ball control skills are as good as Wilfs. I think he needed to feel the love and be wanted, as he didn't look this type of player whilst he was on loan. I wonder if we should reunite him with his brother we might bring the best out of him too?

hope he’s with us for a very long time. I just love his passion and he is also a fantastic football player. What a bargain he has turned out to be.

I think if JA had have left over the summer, we collectively would have shrugged our shoulders, muttered "oh well" and moved on.

He's had a n extraordinary season compared to last, probably our best player with the ball at his feet and a contender for "player of the season" for us.

One of his great assets is that he rarely gives the ball away cheaply - something many of his team mates do all too commonly.

People on here think Soumare is good...proves nowt

4 minutes ago, Micky said:

I'll love it when you are all eating your words!

The collective meltdown on this thread is extraordinary even by foxestalk standards. It truly is one for the ages.

Jordan Ayew is an experience pro who seems to be very highly respected at his current club for his attitude, his work ethic and his contribution to the team. He presses hard, constantly hassles and harries the opposition, wins fouls and can move the ball up the pitch. We were crying out for somebody with that profile in the first half against Spurs, and we'll need that type of player in many games this season. Some players improve the team without it being shown in their stats and Ayew is one of them. We might not need him every game, but there will be plenty of times where his particular skill set will come in very useful.

I'm with you - I've got a sneaky feeling that some of those currently having full-scale emotional breakdowns about this transfer may be feeling more than a little embarrassed in a few months' time... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Hoping it's a case of Ayew and Bobby being used when we need some control/ experienced heads depending on game and game situation.   Coops has mentioned numerous times he wants different options for different moments in games and different sorts of opposition.  

Weren't we all crying out for flexibility in a manager?

Of course this coping mechanism won't work out for me when we start with Ayew and Bobby in our next game.  

Yep, could definitely be the plan, in which case we’re worrying about nothing.

I’m just not convinced we’ve brought Ayew in for decent money at his age to play second fiddle.

• Like 1

I have a question for every poster on here who believes that signing players like Ayew = survival in the PL. Where is the evidence? Genuinely what makes you think that adding Ayew to this team will suddenly allow us to start grinding out wins?

In Crystal palace's case last season in the 8 games where Ayew did not start they won 6 and lost 2 for a 75% win ratio. In the games where he did start they won 7 drew 10 and lost 13 which is a 23% win ratio. It's not a coincidence that Crystal Palace's run of form last season coincided with Ayew falling out of favour.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

So far, over the last two summers, we have signed ten players. Of these, 60% have been under 23, and 50% have been bought in the 3-10m range.

Tom Cannon (21)

Hermansen (23)

Mavididi (26)

Okoli (23)

Golding (18)

Skipp (23)

Five of those players could easily be developed and sold at a profit.

Skipp is an outliner who would need to play well for us to make a profit. 

McAteer, Nelson, Alves, and Braybrooke are the next taxis of the rank to be the next KDH, Barnes or Chilwell.

We have only brought in 3 players with no resell value: Coady, BDCR, and Ayew if he signs, I argue we could get our money back on Winks. 

What do you want to see as a reset? 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

So far, over the last two summers, we have signed ten players. Of these, 60% have been under 23, and 50% have been bought in the 3-10m range.

Tom Cannon (21)

Hermansen (23)

Mavididi (26)

Okoli (23)

Golding (18)

Skipp (23)

Five of those players could easily be developed and sold at a profit.

Skipp is an outliner who would need to play well for us to make a profit. 

McAteer, Nelson, Alves, and Braybrooke are the next taxis of the rank to be the next KDH, Barnes or Chilwell.

We have only brought in 3 players with no resell value: Coady, BDCR, and Ayew if he signs, I argue we could get our money back on Winks. 

What do you want to see as a reset? 

In the past few weeks we've also apparently attempted to sign Matías Soulé (21), Adam Hložek (22) and Yaser Asprilla (20). We've not abandoned the policy of targeting young talent with a high potential resale value - they're just proving to be harder deals to do.

• Like 1