Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
iancognito

Jordan Ayew (interest confirmed by Percy)

8 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Some thoughts from Palace fans on their forum

I like him and he's fun. Takes the ball to a group of opposing players and goes down, getting the foul and relieving any pressure. Also the occasional great goal.

V important squad player.

I don't want to lose him as I like his attitude and work ethic.

I love Jordan Ayew - one of my all time favourite palace players - untouchable in terms of commitment to the cause

He always works hard and I'd be happy to see him stick around

Ayew is still an important member of that squad. He is the perfect substitute when we are winning.

Jordan has rightfully earnt his place as Palace stalwart. He has tremendous energy, gets himself fouled at all the right times, appears to be indestructible and seems passionate,in his low key way, about playing for our club.

All very nice things for them to say. However we would say the same things about Albrighton.

Ayew is still going to be 33 years old in a few months time.

We absolutely shouldn't be signing him. It's the sort of short-termism that's put us in the FFP shit.

Edited by AKCJ
  • Like 1

No objection to this if the fee is below £6m (considering his age) on a three year deal 

Some of the comments in this thread indicate that too many of us are still stuck in the past - we aren’t that club anymore 

any established PL player is not below our level 

He’s also captained both Ghana and Palace. If he’s cheap and a 2yr deal he’s probably a good squad player and decent signing. I’m dreading the 3yr contract though!

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

No objection to this if the fee is below £6m (considering his age) on a three year deal 

Some of the comments in this thread indicate that too many of us are still stuck in the past - we aren’t that club anymore 

any established PL player is not below our level 

I do agree although one moment we are looking at an Argentinian starlet and competing with Roma then we are in for one of Palaces squad players, I’m not sure the club knows either.

3 minutes ago, brookfox said:

He’s also captained both Ghana and Palace. If he’s cheap and a 2yr deal he’s probably a good squad player and decent signing. I’m dreading the 3yr contract though!

He won’t be cheap, though, that’s the issue

3 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

because it's either a real scoop, or total horseshit 

well im of the view of the latter, as he hasnt got a great transfer news record in regards premier league transfers(if im correct)football league hes decent at times

someone of the age of Ayew, use paying a fee for him too; it just doesnt feel right, kinda like the KDH Brighton and them "paying! £30mil for him, which they never was

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Screams of Alan Nixon trying to con people into coughing up money for his crappy website to me…

If that was the case don’t you think he would’ve gone for a slightly more impressive player 

50 minutes ago, LeePhilpottsBaldSpot said:

People writing him off should remind themselves of Shinji Okazaki's goalscoring stats.

Cooper is all about split wingers and counter attacks. If Ayew can play that style better than what we've got, I can see the logic.

It’s not the ability, it’s not the lack of goals… it’s the age! 

He’s been a good servant for palace and helped their flair players thrive but he’s 32, which is when a player starts to slow down. 

We absolutely can’t have a team of coady, vestergarde, bdr, vardy and ayew it’s simply all built on days past. That’s not a way to grow the club and it wouldn’t be enough to survive even if we started on 0.

Why do we want players on the way down when we can buy someone with a little more risk but with resale value. There’s plenty of young players out there that can do what ayew does it’s a lazy signing and as we’ve seen with bertrand and even albrighton, the drop off around that age can be significant!  Particularly for a player that relies on athleticism. 

There’s a few things it signals, one is that we are still focused on this leadership all over the pitch angle and secondly that cooper wants to stick to what he knows… that’s dinosaur football management and a good manager would prefer talent over safety. 

Edited by Lambert09

4 minutes ago, Countesthorpe Fox 1884 12 said:

I do agree although one moment we are looking at an Argentinian starlet and competing with Roma then we are in for one of Palaces squad players, I’m not sure the club knows either.

I’m guessing we were trying to get soule ‘on the cheap’.  Percy reported our interest at 21m.   Roma didn’t pay a lot more than that before add ons

3 minutes ago, Phenom said:

He won’t be cheap, though, that’s the issue

he won’t be expensive 

1 minute ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Age is just a number. For those criticising the potential transfer, would you rather him start/come on or Mcateer/Wanya? 

Definitely McAteer thanks.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Age is just a number. For those criticising the potential transfer, would you rather him start/come on or Mcateer/Wanya? 

That’s not the only options though  is it? We have a scouting department. 

Nixon also adds that he doubts the fee would be substantial, but Ayew may demand high wages to depart Selhurst Park.

• Like 1