Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
iancognito

Jordan Ayew (interest confirmed by Percy)

5 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

Yep, could definitely be the plan, in which case we’re worrying about nothing.

I’m just not convinced we’ve brought Ayew in for decent money at his age to play second fiddle.

Fair point.  

For the record I actually really like Ayew as an option and have no issue with him coming into the squad.  I think he will be popular with fans.  

But I can't get my head around the price.  Maybe that's accentuated by the fact we seem totally unable to shift our own players when they've got a year left.  I also don't want it to stifle younger player development.  

A very weird transfer window.  If we got in a decent number 9, that Greek dude for example, I'd say it's been pretty good.  A 9 and 10 it's been very good.  Neither of those and it's been shite imo because we will have used our resources in areas that aren't as critical.  With Daka out a 9 is absolutely essentially surely.

Hopefully CoolHand is right and there's more cash to burn.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

True, but not if he plays second fiddle to a Bobby Reid or Jordan Ayew.

As I said though, it may not pan out that way and Mavididi will end up starting more than he doesn’t. Just a bit of a concerning transfer in my opinion for more than one reason.

Not moaning for moaning sake by the way, just a discussion!

I don’t see that he will be second fiddle but ultimately if he’s not scoring or assisting then he won’t be playing ahead of those two because they offer more outside of goals.

id expect us to play Skipp and Mavididi tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Another thing that irks me about this deal is we'd never be able to push a club to do the same to us for a player at a similar stage to Ayew in their career. We had title winning heroes like Okazaki, King and Ulloa begging to leave and thr best we got for them was a nominal fee or a loan.

We aren't a serious football club

This annoys me more than the player himself. This should clear up the Rudkin debates anyway.

People need to chill out, Percy said we are looking to add two more players in addition to Ayew. I don’t understand this constant need to micro analyse everything, moan about everything and question the money that’s being spent. We have no idea, what’s being planned or what money there is to spend so why get angry about it🤷🏻‍♂️

We are building a squad, in that squad you need young players and also players with experience to guide them. Not every player should be a young kid with a high resale value! 

Edited by wignalll2007
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lesta Legend said:

Well that’s not true. Christ alive   

Go into the thread. I’ve been sent a 3 minute highlight video to convince me lol 

19 minutes ago, ronnup said:

People on here think Soumare is good...proves nowt

I don't think there is a single person that says he's done well for us; they just believe there is a player in there somewhere. A bit different. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

The collective meltdown on this thread is extraordinary even by foxestalk standards. It truly is one for the ages.

Jordan Ayew is an experience pro who seems to be very highly respected at his current club for his attitude, his work ethic and his contribution to the team. He presses hard, constantly hassles and harries the opposition, wins fouls and can move the ball up the pitch. We were crying out for somebody with that profile in the first half against Spurs, and we'll need that type of player in many games this season. Some players improve the team without it being shown in their stats and Ayew is one of them. We might not need him every game, but there will be plenty of times where his particular skill set will come in very useful.

I'm with you - I've got a sneaky feeling that some of those currently having full-scale emotional breakdowns about this transfer may be feeling more than a little embarrassed in a few months' time... 

Because there is more to it than the footballing aspect. 

As we speak, we are awaiting the discipline for our prior financial irresponsibly. Spending up to £8m on a player we won't get any monetary return on whilst paying him, what I'd imagine to be around £7m (assuming he signs for 3 years on 50k a week) is worryingly familiar and anyone ignoring that, I believe is being niave. 

Ofcourse we would all like to believe that the people running the club know what they are doing but past events seem to argue otherwise. 

Just now, Babylon said:

I don't think there is a single person that says he's done well for us; they just believe there is a player in there somewhere. A bit different. 

"A player in there" 

Means good. 

Just now, ronnup said:

"A player in there" 

Means good. 

The Palace fans are reviewing what he's actually done on the pitch and not suggesting they believe he COULD be a good player. 

Can't wait til he drops both of our star wingers from last year to start BDCR and Ayew either side of whatever poverty 5 goal a season striker we're going to panic buy next week. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Scotch said:

Because there is more to it than the footballing aspect. 

As we speak, we are awaiting the discipline for our prior financial irresponsibly. Spending up to £8m on a player we won't get any monetary return on whilst paying him, what I'd imagine to be around £7m (assuming he signs for 3 years on 50k a week) is worryingly familiar and anyone ignoring that, I believe is being niave. 

Ofcourse we would all like to believe that the people running the club know what they are doing but past events seem to argue otherwise. 

People are making wild guesses over the overall transfer budget, which seems to be making them panic that buying Ayew for an initial fee of £5m will somehow mean we can't now buy a striker or attacking midfielder. I think that's very likely an incorrect assumption. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

We paid £500k nearly 30 years ago, the best players in the world were going for £10-£20m back then. Taking transfer inflation into account, it's pretty much exactly the same. 

And we didn't have to contend with P&SR or even FFP in those days.

10 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

The state of the negativity on here. I think it's a good singing. 

Surely we have not signed him for his Karaoke skills have we???

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

People are making wild guesses over the overall transfer budget, which seems to be making them panic that buying Ayew for an initial fee of £5m will somehow mean we can't now buy a striker or attacking midfielder. I think that's very likely an incorrect assumption. 

I personally think we need two strikers. Daka not good enough.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wignalll2007 said:

I don’t understand this constant need to micro analyse everything, moan about everything and question the money that’s being spent. 

You do get that this is Foxestalk, right 😊

Edited by Philkeavo

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

And we didn't have to contend with P&SR or even FFP in those days.

If it's affordable, then there's no big issue. If it's a two year contract it adds a couple of million a year to the amortisation and bit of wages, so long as there is a large wage reduction for relegation in place, then I don't see the problem there. 

10 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I think both will come in too but regardless of how much we do or don't spend on them, it doesn't change the fact that this one is still financially suspect. 

That anxiety is justified considering that being stuck with players that add nothing to the team whilst paying them substantial amounts and not being able to shift them has very much been instrumental in our financial problems and this one looks like it could very well turn out that way.