Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
iancognito

Jordan Ayew (interest confirmed by Percy)

48 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Its extremely unfortunate and I do not blame the club in this instance, but the league and its two tier behaviour.

Oh, it’s not the club. It’s the position the club find themselves in. It’s not us alone, everybody is incentivised to sell academy players which will in later years also have affect on the national team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

The collective meltdown on this thread is extraordinary even by foxestalk standards. It truly is one for the ages.

Jordan Ayew is an experience pro who seems to be very highly respected at his current club for his attitude, his work ethic and his contribution to the team. He presses hard, constantly hassles and harries the opposition, wins fouls and can move the ball up the pitch. We were crying out for somebody with that profile in the first half against Spurs, and we'll need that type of player in many games this season. Some players improve the team without it being shown in their stats and Ayew is one of them. We might not need him every game, but there will be plenty of times where his particular skill set will come in very useful.

I'm with you - I've got a sneaky feeling that some of those currently having full-scale emotional breakdowns about this transfer may be feeling more than a little embarrassed in a few months' time... 

Same question that I asked the OP Micky, does your sentiment also work if he turns out another aging flop that were lumbered with for 3 years? 

I think the meltdown that you reference is down to the fact that we’ve had since April to identify targets and our desperation appears that our scouting/DoF’s hopes rely on a nearly 33 year old who won’t add what we desperately need…..goals.

• Like 1

WE WERE GOING DOWN, SIGNED JORDAN AYEW

CLOSED MY EYES, FLASHBACK STARTS 

IM STANDING THERE

GREAT ESCAPE IS IN THE AIRRRRR

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Same question that I asked the OP Micky, does your sentiment also work if he turns out another aging flop that were lumbered with for 3 years? 

I think the meltdown that you reference is down to the fact that we’ve had since April to identify targets and our desperation appears that our scouting/DoF’s hopes rely on a nearly 33 year old who won’t add what we desperately need…..goals.

Ayew was first linked with us in July, so it's likely he's not a desperate last-minute choice but has always been a target. At the same time, we've also been consistently linked with a number of exciting young players with high potential resale value. It's therefore fair to assume that the plan has always been to bring in both battle-hardened PL veterans and exciting prospects from overseas, but that the latter type of deal has been harder to do so far. This might be because we're aiming a bit higher than Ipswich etc and are competing with clubs that have qualified for Europe, and it may also be because our looming points deduction is putting players off. Whatever the reason, the point is that we are still targeting those types of players in addition to Ayew - it's not an either/or situation. It's likely that we'll bring in some more exciting names, including a striker and an attacking midfielder, towards the end of the window when the market opens up.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

Ayew was first linked with us in early August, so it's likely he's not a desperate last-minute choice but has always been a target. At the same time, we've also been consistently linked with a number of exciting young players with high potential resale value. It's therefore fair to assume that the plan has always been to bring in both battle-hardened PL veterans and exciting prospects from overseas, but that the latter type of deal has been harder to do so far. This might be because we're aiming a bit higher than Ipswich etc and are competing with clubs that have qualified for Europe, and it may also be because our looming points deduction is putting players off. Whatever the reason, the point is that we are still targeting those types of players in addition to Ayew - it's not an either/or situation. It's likely that we'll bring in some more exciting names, including a striker and an attacking midfielder, towards the end of the window when the market opens up.

So the bell strikes at 00:01 on deadline day and those players that you admit that we need don’t join (history suggests that could be very likely) or we have more 3/4th targets join which Ayew IMO is…then you’d be happy with our transfer window??

Again considering the head start we had on other clubs.

3 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

So the bell strikes at 00:01 on deadline day and those players that you admit that we need don’t join (history suggests that could be very likely) or we have more 3/4th targets join which Ayew IMO is…then you’d be happy with our transfer window??

Again considering the head start we had on other clubs.

Of course I wouldn't. The point I'm making (though obviously not clearly enough) is that if we fail to sign those players it won't be because we've signed Ayew instead - it will be because of factors entirely unrelated to his transfer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

shinji never scored many and that was in a team that won the league,but was a great for us. Ayew will be a great signing , works his socks off. of course we need another striker as well, but the drivel on here about how poor Ayew is,is embarrassing. We are desperate to finish 17th and muppets whinging about signing an established prem player. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Claridge said:

shinji never scored many and that was in a team that won the league,but was a great for us. Ayew will be a great signing , works his socks off. of course we need another striker as well, but the drivel on here about how poor Ayew is,is embarrassing. We are desperate to finish 17th and muppets whinging about signing an established prem player. 

Shinji used to get criticised all the time on here too, forgotten about now.

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Posts like this make me want to abuse the moderator functions. 

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Shinji is a great comparison. It's about the blend. How the parts come together. Not just individual pieces. 

• Like 3

Just now, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Shinji is a great comparison. It's about the blend. How the parts come together. Not just individual pieces. 

Exactly Peter Beardsley for England is another example. Hardly scored any, but what a contribution. Helped make Lineker a star

• Like 1

Rudders will be trying to outsmart himself to give Fulham as late possible notice of the signing as possible. Only to realise that he has missed completing all the docs, so will announce Monday 

• Like 1

Just now, Claridge said:

Exactly Peter Beardsley for England is another example. Hardly scored any, but what a contribution. Helped make Lineker a star

I get people's point that Shinji was in a team that had Prime Vardy and Mahrez, so the pressure wasn't on him to score as much. But I don't think we are looking to win the league. 

If he can contribute 4 or 5 goals and 6 or 7 assists then I'd be very happy with that return. But again, it all really hangs on getting in another player who is going to contribute more upfront and provide that reliable cover for Vardy when he invariably can't play. 

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I get people's point that Shinji was in a team that had Prime Vardy and Mahrez, so the pressure wasn't on him to score as much. But I don't think we are looking to win the league. 

If he can contribute 4 or 5 goals and 6 or 7 assists then I'd be very happy with that return. But again, it all really hangs on getting in another player who is going to contribute more upfront and provide that reliable cover for Vardy when he invariably can't play. 

I’ve not seen a single person suggest that we should sign Ayew and then shut up shop. Even Cooper has constantly said that he wants two attacking players. He’s a good addition to the squad but we need guaranteed goals (or as guaranteed as a team predicted to finish 20th can manage to attract - which is a situation I don’t think many realise we are in).

Just now, AKCJ said:

I’ve not seen a single person suggest that we should sign Ayew and then shut up shop. Even Cooper has constantly said that he wants two attacking players. He’s a good addition to the squad but we need guaranteed goals (or as guaranteed as a team predicted to finish 20th can manage to attract - which is a situation I don’t think many realise we are in).

I think it's more the fact we clearly aren't an attractive proposition at the moment, and we might not get a transfer over the line. Rather than us not wanting to. 

We've obviously already been gazumped at the last moment and that can happen again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I think it's more the fact we clearly aren't an attractive proposition at the moment, and we might not get a transfer over the line. Rather than us not wanting to. 

We've obviously already been gazumped at the last moment and that can happen again. 

Don't know why everyones worrying, Micky says everything is great.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Posts like this make me want to abuse the moderator functions. 

You want to ban somebody because they have a different opinion to you? Sounds healthy. (And I completely disagree with their opinion as well)

• Like 1

So those happy with Ayew aren’t concerned of another player on a long term contract that will likely run out a couple of months before his 36th birthday?

Also, can the Shinji comparisons stop as he came at 29 and when his physicality started waning he was quickly found wanting.

We have pending PSR charges and another signing that will NOT add to our squad’s resale value should be considered for any permanent signings IMO.

Edited by SafewayFox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

No doubt but the signing of Ayew makes no impact on that.

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I honestly think the irresponsible media coverage of our PSR situation has shafted us when it comes to transfers. The ridiculous headlines predicting multiple deductions amounting to 15+ points etc, based on zero actual evidence, have created a widespread perception (even among some of our own fans) that we're going to be hit very hard when in reality it will likely be around six points max. It's very likely that some deals that ordinarily would be achievable are not getting over the line because of this.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

It makes an impact on how happy I'd be about the window though and the position of the squad. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

That's not necessarily true though is it.  If we have allocated 5 million of our budget on the transfer fee, another wadge on his salary and another lot for the agent then, that is money we don't have to spend elsewhere. Therefore we may not be able to match any other club in a transfer.

I'm not saying this transfer is right or wrong. personally I think there are arguments to be had both ways.

It is obvious he adds a lot of experience and nous which is undoubtedly useful. However, he doesn't add what we really need which is goals. My main concern really is financial if we are relegated. He's not good enough to drive a promotion push and at his age will have no resale value. This means we will be stuck with him until his contract runs out. A diminishing asset.

Indeed I'd say that this is becoming more of a concern with each passing season. If we go down we have very few saleable players that could either bring in revenue or help to significantly offset falling revenue.