Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Transfer Talk changes & source tier list suggestions

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Transfer Talk is a nightmare for casual posters who want to dip in and get the latest and who aren't chronically on twitter. 

Going to start tidying it up so it's a bit more organised and accessible. 

One of the first steps is going to be implementing a tier list of sources. 

Most football social media that does this agrees on four tiers so we'll use that as a starting point, tier four sources won't get their own threads, we'll repurpose the twitter rumours thread and chuck the rubbish in there. The remaining threads will be tagged by a mod with the tier of the source, in larger threads we'll also try and use the recommended posts feature to make it easier to see the latest verified news when a thread gets derailed with fish puns and medical 'jokes'. 

Before we do this, want to reach out to all of you and ask for your input in agreeing on the tier list so it's not just simply something a couple of us have pulled out our arses. 

So some initial suggestions:

Tier 1: Percy and Tanner, obviously. They might not know everything but they tend to only speak up on transfers when they are fairly certain. 

Fab Romano, I know he annoys people but he's got a close to 100% track record on Leicester when he says something is actually happening. 

Some specific, international sources - Kristof Terreur springs to mind who has a superb track record on our Belgian players and doesn't tend to chat rubbish. 

Tier 2: Probably the section we need the most suggestions, the Di Marzio, Tavolieris, etc of this world, post a bit of rubbish and probably do the bidding of a fair few agents but fairly consistently get things right. 

Tier 3: UK broadsheets, gazetta, l'equipe, potentially Sky (although they usually aren't a source in their own right)

Tier 4: muck. UK tabloids, rumour blogs, wannabe itks on twitter, the ten thousand Itlaian Fab impersonators, etc. 

To be clear, the likes of FosseHub, Football Insider or the Mercury that just re-post other sources won't be considered sources at all. A shit rumour doesn't become a valid one just because the Mockery or the BBC sports rumour page have re-posted it for clicks. 

@StanSP @moore_94 @LestaLad @Ric Flair @HankMarvin and anyone else absolutely glued to twitter (pretty sure moore_94 IS twitter) your input would be greatly appreciated. 

Will leave this thread up for a few days and take suggestions and feedback and then start actually actioning things and cleaning up the subforum after that. 

(Ps, tier five: Alan Nixon.)

Don’t forget the David Ornstein, probably tier 1 also

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Transfer Talk is a nightmare for casual posters who want to dip in and get the latest and who aren't chronically on twitter. 

Most football social media that does this agrees on four tiers so we'll use that as a starting point, tier four sources won't get their own threads, we'll repurpose the twitter rumours thread and chuck the rubbish in there. The remaining threads will be tagged by a mod with the tier of the source, in larger threads we'll also try and use the recommended posts feature to make it easier to see the latest verified news when a thread gets derailed with fish puns and medical 'jokes'. 

Before we do this, want to reach out to all of you and ask for your input in agreeing on the tier list so it's not just simply something a couple of us have pulled out our arses. 

Tier 1: Percy and Tanner, obviously. They might not know everything but they tend to only speak up on transfers when they are fairly certain. 

Fab Romano, I know he annoys people but he's got a close to 100% track record on Leicester when he says something is actually happening. 

Some specific, international sources - Kristof Terreur springs to mind who has a superb track record on our Belgian players and doesn't tend to chat rubbish. 

Tier 2: Probably the section we need the most suggestions, the Di Marzio, Tavolieris, etc of this world, post a bit of rubbish and probably do the bidding of a fair few agents but fairly consistently get things right. 

Tier 3: UK broadsheets, gazetta, l'equipe, potentially Sky (although they usually aren't a source in their own right)

Tier 4: muck. UK tabloids, rumour blogs, wannabe itks on twitter, the ten thousand Itlaian Fab impersonators, etc. 

To be clear, the likes of FosseHub, Football Insider or the Mercury that just re-post other sources won't be considered sources at all. A shit rumour doesn't become a valid one just because the Mockery or the BBC sports rumour page have re-posted it for clicks. 

@StanSP @moore_94 @LestaLad @Ric Flair @HankMarvin and anyone else absolutely glued to twitter (pretty sure moore_94 IS twitter) your input would be greatly appreciated. 

Will leave this thread up for a few days and take suggestions and feedback and then start actually actioning things and cleaning up the subforum after that. 

Just to point out, FosseHub will post anything that's been published so as long as it can be traced to a source to determine the tier is fine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

could you please crack down on posters spamming threads with discussions of our current players in transfer target threads,

nothing worse than when you see a transfer thread has gone hot and you click on it only to see a boring 2 page debate about Daka etc.

That's less about moderation and more about self control. 

I'll try my best. 👀

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Just to point out, FosseHub will post anything that's been published so as long as it can be traced to a source to determine the tier is fine.

Yeah I have no problem with people posting a FosseHub link, my point is just the value of the source will be the value of THEIR source. 

FosseHub sourcing Fab or Percy - 🥇

FosseHub sourcing Alan Nixon - 🚮

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I very much like this idea.

A lot of threads just get opened despite it being from the most dodgy source with no substance to it.

Which is why, if I’m ever posting anything I will put it in the transfer rumours thread if I don’t think it is from a reliable source. 

I agree with people saying Ornstein should be Tier 1. I would also add Mike McGrath and Matt Law from the Telegraph. They often do stories with Percy and are very reliable. 

Im sure some more names will come to me for the other tiers when I come across them from my endless hours of twitter. 

Great idea. It would be a lot of work, and I don't know if anyone does this already, but tracking some of the rumours to see if they come to fruition might be interesting and show which ones are more reliable.

As above, the likes of Ornstein, Percy, Law, Terreur, Moore_94 and Tanner probably should be Tier 1.

Di Marzio, Schira and similar in Tier 2.

Add SfE to tier 5.

• Like 1

@Danno @LestaLad @StanSP

Do we have examples (I don't mind if you have to go back a few windows) of Ornstein being specifically reliable on Leicester? 

I'd be inclined to put him in Tier 2 otherwise. I appreciate he's got a solid reputation but I feel like he has a habit of linking basically everyone to London clubs? 

I may be being harsh, mind. That's exactly why I'm asking for as much input as possible. I'm no kind of expert. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

@Danno @LestaLad @StanSP

Do we have examples (I don't mind if you have to go back a few windows) of Ornstein being specifically reliable on Leicester? 

I'd be inclined to put him in Tier 2 otherwise. I appreciate he's got a solid reputation but I feel like he has a habit of linking basically everyone to London clubs? 

I may be being harsh, mind. That's exactly why I'm asking for as much input as possible. I'm no kind of expert. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was the first to report on KDH to Chelsea? I think he's somebody like Terreur where he barely ever has anything about us but when he does it's grounded in reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

@Danno @LestaLad @StanSP

Seems to do a lot for Arsenal from memory. 

Quick search on Twitter where Ornstein has mentioned Leicester (ignore the actual tweeter, but they've referenced Ornstein) 

So not regular, but definitely gets the odd piece here and there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's consistent reliability that we're after ultimately. I'd much rather a source that speaks rarely but accurately than one that just throws a little of shit and hopes something sticks. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Seems to do a lot for Arsenal from memory. 

Quick search on Twitter where Ornstein has mentioned Leicester (ignore the actual tweeter, but they've referenced Ornstein) 

So not regular, but definitely gets the odd piece here and there. 

It was Ornstein who reported in January that we were about to sell KDH to Brighton at a discount price because we were desperate for the cash. Rob Dorsett then reported that we weren't inclined to sell midway through a promotion challenge and it would take an enormous offer to tempt us. I remember Ornstein expressing surprise at Dorsett's story on the radio, but in the end Dorsett was right and Ornstein was wrong.

Dorsett rarely gets any scoops of his own but his track record at shooting down false rumours is pretty good. What tier source that makes him I have no idea...

Edited by ClaphamFox

I'd probably be inclined to consider Dorsett a fairly higher Tier 2 source. 

Tier 1 should be sources we 99.9% don't dispute. 

Doesn't mean a deal will definitely happen but it's clearly a player we are looking at. Fab and Percy both chiming in on Soulé, for example. 

Roma Press tier 8.  Plus ban all threads involving loans to Italian Clubs with obligations to buy.  Always total bull shite.

Great idea all this👍.

Probably not the remit but could you please delete any excessive 'spotted him in Morrisons', 'our first [nationality]', any other overdone shit joke please. It makes transfer talk borderline unusable 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

It was Ornstein who reported in January that we were about to sell KDH to Brighton at a discount price because we were desperate for the cash. Rob Dorsett then reported that we weren't inclined to sell midway through a promotion challenge and it would take an enormous offer to tempt us. I remember Ornstein expressing surprise at Dorsett's story on the radio, but in the end Dorsett was right and Ornstein was wrong.

Dorsett rarely gets any scoops of his own but his track record at shooting down false rumours is pretty good. What tier source that makes him I have no idea...

I would put Ornstein as Tier 1.

What he said about KDH and Brighton was that they were in negotiations with us and that our valuations differed. That wasn't false – they just didn't meet our valuation.

14 minutes ago, 87fox said:

I would put Ornstein as Tier 1.

What he said about KDH and Brighton was that they were in negotiations with us and that our valuations differed. That wasn't false – they just didn't meet our valuation.

He tweeted on the subject a number of times in addition to the above and he seemed to think that a deal was probable. After a while it became clear that his source was at the Brighton end and he hadn't spoken to anybody at Leicester. Dorsett basically shut it down by saying we didn't want to sell at a crucial part of the season and it would take an offer closer to £40m to even tempt us.

Ornstein may be a very good source for other clubs, but I don't think he has any contacts at Leicester. Dorsett on the other hand does seem to have contacts at Leicester, but seems less inclined to leak transfer stories - however, when he shoots a rumour down, he's usually correct.

Edited by ClaphamFox