Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Transfer Talk changes & source tier list suggestions

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

This is starting to take shape. 

Can I get a bit of info on Mike McGrath, Matt Law, Simon Peach and James Sharpe from the people that suggested them please? 

McGrath and Law work with Percy yeah?

Isn't Sharpe with the Mercury? Going to need some convincing on that front. 

He’s ex Mercury and was a lot more credible. He’s been the podcast with the BSLB and he’s now with the Mail. 

Funny story, when the story broken of the Pearson sacking / then re-instalment, we’d just finished a six a side league game and he basically left in a hurry to get the info! I’m not sure if you remember that @TheSharpeEndlol

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Can I get a bit of info on Mike McGrath, Matt Law, Simon Peach and James Sharpe from the people that suggested them please? 

It's called Transfer Talk. I think you are getting a little carried away with asking for more information on respected journalists I understand on some of the websites that were previously mentioned, but do you really need to pre-vet guys from the Independent, and Telegraph?

Some people enjoy the speculation, irrespective of whether it the transfer is completed. Most people take the links with a pinch of salt.

Also, isn’t it counterproductive for a website that relies on engagement to potentially reach a point where users only look for what has been labelled as tier-one sources to engage in the Transfer threads?

This is even more noticeable during the close season when nothing is really happening on the main forum. The tiering system is a great idea for the big clubs that need to filter out the crap but still have a lot of good, reliable sources that break transfers/speculation.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

I think you are getting a little carried away with asking for more information on respected journalists I understand on some of the websites that were previously mentioned, but do you really need to pre-vet guys from the Independent, and Telegraph?

I don't particularly know who they are, that's why I'm asking. I'm not expecting their full credentials and a list of all their sources, I'm just asking why they were suggested. That's the whole point of this thread. There are journalists working for national newspapers that have a track record of posting extremely inaccurate rumours for clickbait and engagement. There are also respected journalists that are consistently accurate, I'm just asking which category these fall into.

Some people enjoy the speculation, irrespective of whether it the transfer is completed.

And they'll absolutely still be free to speculate to their heart's content. Nothing is going to be deleted that currently gets posted. 

Most people take the links with a pinch of salt.

I think we can plainly see that that isn't true. There's an enormous amount of over-reaction to literally everything that gets posted and that's just within FoxesTalk. I know people that believe pretty much everything they read on the internet, especially people that aren't overly social-media or forum savvy. There are people that haven't been here since 2007 and don't have 12'000 posts that are a lot less forum-literate who do find this place hard to navigate and it difficult to separate credible rumours from absolute nonsense.

Also, isn’t it counterproductive for a website that relies on engagement to potentially reach a point where users only look for what has been labelled as tier-one sources to engage in the Transfer threads?

There's an LCFC subreddit, it's not super active compared to FoxesTalk in any regard (probably because FoxesTalk exists) but it has a rumour tier list for sources. The threads about Tier 4 sources are just as active as the ones for more credible ones. Even here we have a Twitter Transfer Rumours thread for Z list sources and it's a pretty active, 200 page megathread.

I said this post was here for feedback, I don't mean to jump on you and shout any criticism or objection down but I do think you're maybe over-reacting slightly? It's not huge changes being proposed it's just a bit of sign-posting to make it easier for more casual posters to dip in and quickly get the latest on rumours. Nothing that's currently posted will be deleted, it's not being suggested that any content be banned or censored and none of the suggestions made are anything that loads of other football clubs' social medias don't do already?

:dunno:

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't particularly know who they are, that's why I'm asking. I'm not expecting their full credentials and a list of all their sources, I'm just asking why they were suggested. That's the whole point of this thread. There are journalists working for national newspapers that have a track record of posting extremely inaccurate rumours for clickbait and engagement. There are also respected journalists that are consistently accurate, I'm just asking which category these fall into.

Sly and Lestalad posted those journalist names and where they work, into a thread you have created about avoiding clickbait and engagement, that why I said I think you are getting a little carried away asking for more info on those type of Journalists it seemed fairly trivial.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

There is a lot less forum-literate who do find this place hard to navigate and it difficult to separate credible rumours from absolute nonsense

How would they have possibly survived 10-15 years ago reading a rumour in a national paper :ph34r:

54 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

There's an LCFC subreddit, it's not super active compared to FoxesTalk in any regard (probably because FoxesTalk exists) but it has a rumour tier list for sources. The threads about Tier 4 sources are just as active as the ones for more credible ones. Even here we have a Twitter Transfer Rumours thread for Z list sources and it's a pretty active, 200 page megathread.

Fair enough, it was a question. I wasn’t aware of any alternatives that implement it.

57 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I said this post was here for feedback, I don't mean to jump on you and shout any criticism or objection down but I do think you're maybe over-reacting slightly

No offence taken,

maybe it’s how you perceive the message is written, just offering a different opinion and you have answered those questions.

I think most of the main ones have been mentioned by now

If we are linked with players who West Ham who are also supposedly interested in (like Reiss Nelson), then ExWHUEmployee would be Tier 1

https://twitter.com/ExWHUEmployee

Ekrem Konur needs to be bottom tier (maybe even his own tier at the bottom along with SfE)

https://twitter.com/Ekremkonur

FosseHub and SportWitness need to be down as just aggregators unless you can easily find the original article / news source through them (Sport Witness tend to include it in the article, Fosse Hub don't link anything other than the of the source)

https://twitter.com/FosseHub

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Mike McGrath has done a lot on Leicester if you type his @ on twitter and then out Leicester next to it. 

Same with Matt Law. 

They do also both do stories with Percy quite often yea. Sure it was Law and Percy who broke the Cooper news.

3 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Is there a risk of taking the fun out of Transfer Talk with all this analysis??

Surely everyone realises that we’re reading rumours, and some are more likely to happen than others??   

You can't make everyone happy with any one situation. I'm sure there's probably a couple of people who might be annoyed by the proposed adjustments. 

I think the positive responses to the suggestions significantly outweigh any complaints, however, and a reasonable amount of posters don't necessarily find Transfer Talk all that fun to navigate at the moment. 

Mostly though, as I replied to Hank, I do think it's possible to over state how big a change this will really be. If we'd just started adding tier tags with no announcement then a lot of people wouldn't have even noticed and if I hadn't wanted input on establishing a tier list that's probably what would have happened. 

And, hey, if people don't like it Mark can just turn the feature off and not bring it back next window. No big deal really right? 

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

You can't make everyone happy with any one situation. I'm sure there's probably a couple of people who might be annoyed by the proposed adjustments. 

I think the positive responses to the suggestions significantly outweigh any complaints, however, and a reasonable amount of posters don't necessarily find Transfer Talk all that fun to navigate at the moment. 

Mostly though, as I replied to Hank, I do think it's possible to over state how big a change this will really be. If we'd just started adding tier tags with no announcement then a lot of people wouldn't have even noticed and if I hadn't wanted input on establishing a tier list that's probably what would have happened. 

And, hey, if people don't like it Mark can just turn the feature off and not bring it back next window. No big deal really right? 

Arghhh ok so it’s just a flag system for new posts, doesn’t affect how they’re posted / ordered etc?

1 minute ago, 5waller5 said:

Arghhh ok so it’s just a flag system for new posts, doesn’t affect how they’re posted / ordered etc?

Not really no. I think in a busier window we'd probably really clamp down on tier 4 posts filling up the forum but it's so ****ing slow at the moment I'm not sure that's a priority. 

Just now, Finnegan said:

Not really no. I think in a busier window we'd probably really clamp down on tier 4 posts filling up the forum but it's so ****ing slow at the moment I'm not sure that's a priority. 

Therein lies the problem I guess - right now I’m craving a “my mate bumped into someone who knows X player’s mum, who reckons he’s having a medical next Tuesday”.

If the system made TT any quieter it would be a bad thing now…. You’d need to believe that we’re likely to suddenly start doing loads of business or that we’d actually get rumours for it to warrant action. Seems optimistic to me! 

2 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Therein lies the problem I guess - right now I’m craving a “my mate bumped into someone who knows X player’s mum, who reckons he’s having a medical next Tuesday”.

If the system made TT any quieter it would be a bad thing now…. You’d need to believe that we’re likely to suddenly start doing loads of business or that we’d actually get rumours for it to warrant action. Seems optimistic to me! 

Yeah I fully acknowledge that since I posted this there's been almost no new rumours lol

That said, I do think that when it's quiet it does lead to people over reacting to rubbish a little bit more because it's only the real "news."

See the Ayew stuff which still has a very high chance of being complete rubbish. 

So, yeah, just sign posting. 

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

90% of the forum are running around like headless chickens because a Tier 4 source thinks we might like to sign Jordan Ayew. I would say it's a definite priority!

• Haha 1