Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Saturday 3 August v FC Augsburg pre-season friendly

1 minute ago, The Quick Brown Fox said:

I remember another pre season where we lost every game and every lost their heads, can someone remind me what happened that year? 

Well I think we can put that to bed this season ,we'll be saying do remember we were shit pre season and people  said don't worry .....then we were relegated without a whimper 😵‍💫😵‍💫

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Quick Brown Fox said:

I remember another pre season where we lost every game and every lost their heads, can someone remind me what happened that year? 

Which pre-season was that?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

For me that half wasn't bad. Pre-season isn't about results, it's about understanding the style fo play, the structure and fitness. Getting realtionships working together and improving on them. In this game it's clear what the attacking and defensive strcutures are, we are going back-to-front a lot better and in general have controlled the game pretty well. Creativity is not the greatest, but better, but I can see what we are trying to do at least.

So my notes.

• Nominally we are a 4231.
  • We have a defensive 5 and an attacking 5, just like last season.
  • When off the ball, we press and defend in a compact 442 shape.
  • However, the difference is that one of the fullbacks pushes up to become a winger, with the starting winger drifting in to become a 10/8.
  • In this game, that player is Kristiansen, and we have found him a lot.
  • The 10's make the inside channel runs like Ndidi and KDh used to make last season.
  • A big difference from last season is that Mads is not coming out to make an additional CB. That means that we don't quite have the box midfield from last season to play out from.
  • However, we are still clearly trying to play the ball out from the back, using Winks as the main person to build through. Ndidi is more of a destroyer compared to the way Ricardo used the ball a lot more last season.
  • We are running a high press with the front 5, and the back 5 are stepping up like last season. We didn't do this as much in the last few friendlies, but it's notable today. We have turned the ball over to make chances a few times, but also got caught out once or twice on transition too.

As the half went on we got more and more control and did start making chances. But the biggest frustration was Viktor Kristiansen. He got the ball so many times, but always turned back in! Vary it with some first time crosses, try and attack the full back from time to time, then vary it with coming back inside. Moving Stephy inside *could* work, but if the player out wide doesn't pose the same ability to beat a man, or support the inside player, then it's a waste. Last season Mavididi and KDH combined really well.

I am sure many will be disapointed with the display but for me there's a lot to work with here. The season is only two weeks away which is a worry, but from a coaching / tactical perspective there is a clear identity. Someone needs to tell off Kristiansen!

I think the comment about Mads is a concern for me. It's clear he loves being involved in possession - if he doesn't get to do so, that might be an incentive for him to seriously consider offers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah you're right the teams we'll play this season will be much better than Augsburg.

We lost to Peterborough last season..

We draw with Sheff W and Blackburn the year we won the FA Cup.

The year we won the PL we draw with Mansfield.

Friendlies mean jack shit.

Edited by coolhandfox

Even if you absolutely must play like this, why on earth is it Kristiansen as the attacking full back and the right back just say back making a makeshift 3 given that we've got JJ and Ricardo in the squad who are two excellent attacking full backs? 

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

We might well finish bottom, but the facts are todays game is entirely meaningless in terms of a barometer for where we’ll finish.

It happens every season, people cry about preseason results and say we are doomed, and plenty of times we’ve gone on and confounded those predictions. 

Not using foxes talk logic, a defeat = folding of the club.

• Like 2

Just now, Finnegan said:

Even if you absolutely must play like this, why on earth is it Kristiansen as the attacking full back and the right back just say back making a makeshift 3 given that we've got JJ and Ricardo in the squad who are two excellent attacking full backs? 

Seemingly because he wants that attacking fullback up the side of the winger he wants to play inside, and he must favour Mav doing that over Fats.

14 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Really, we have gone from Enzo + backroom staff to this.. last season we had an identity I just can't see the same this season.

Losing Enzo is a massive dent and then replacing him with a polar opposite

To be fair, lots of people wanted shot of Enzo after he went shite after Xmas........

Maybe he'll come back when Chelsea sack him in late September

9 minutes ago, Jacnah said:

I know its a friendly so i'm not going to take to much from it, but I've got to be honest with you davieG, cant defend and cant score doesnt sound like general play is ok.

Its a version of enzo ball thats less effective and considerable more boring...which to be frank takes some doing

I was referring to passing and keeping the ball control in the middle of the pitch. In both penalty areas we lose it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gazza M said:

Stowell said on RL we never won a game preseason before 15-16 title win. 

That's the sort of thing I'd expect him to say. 

The problem with that statement is that we had a world class player coming in that nobody seemed to have a scooby was the best midfielder in the world - so much so that he made his debut for us on the left wing until the bleeding obvious became apparent