Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Also in the news

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

It's a cow-girl: Gujarat man plans big ceremony

City

|

TNN | Apr 11, 2017, 10:01 IST

It's a cow-girl: Gujarat man plans big ceremony

Follow us

AHMEDABAD: Last year, Vijay Parsana, the owner of a fitness chain, grabbed headlines when he organized a grand wedding for his Gir cow, Poonam. The partner he had chosen for her was Arjun, a bull from Kotiya village of Bhavnagar district. Parsana spared no expense for the bovine nuptials: the ceremony was elaborate and he spent lakhs to deck up the cow in a sari and gold jewellery.

Im sure someone is related.to this dude in Leicester.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

You don't think that's the case with a lot of what's happening now?

Obviously the extent and violence of the two sets of protests was quite different.

You're right that people went out to cause harm in those protests too. I understand that while I might say that nearly everyone in a BLM protest is motivated by compassion (whereas it's clear to me that it's not the case here), others will come back with totally the opposite point of view. I also understand that if, as I saw suggested somewhere, we created an Extremists Register of people who resort to violence and vandalism in these events - in the way there's the name-and-shame element of the Sex Offenders Register - then you'd have to include the Just Stop Oil people on it too, for example. 

Even so, I think these protests have more in common with the 1950s riots against black communities than with the protests you're mentioning. Maybe the Duggan riots were a better example of something which is close in character to this and yet with a very different political motivation. For two reasons: one, they were most notable for looting and violence which had little to do with what happened. Two, because most protesters weren't sure whether they were protesting against the police, poverty or the government in general. That climate of not really knowing why you're there obviously makes it easier for things to fly off the tracks.

In the case of BLM it's pretty clear what people were marching about. 99% of people would have been able to answer the question 'why are you here?' with answers that closely resembled one another. In this case, some think they're protesting about illegal immigrants and the dangers they pose. Others about the oversights that led to three little kids being killed. Or just the culprit. Others about people arriving on small boats. Others about all asylum seekers. Others about government policy on immigration in general. Others about Muslims. Others about too many non-whites knocking around. When you get that 'enough is enough' atmosphere, without being able to put your finger on what you've had enough of exactly, it encourages anyone who's a bit peeved, and perhaps harbours a few racist sentiments, to join in without particularly feeling out of place.

But I'm not sure, even setting aside the sentiments and whether they're right or wrong, that you can easily compare the nature of these protests with most of those we've seen in the past decade, even if there are snapshots which make them seem comparable.

As for solutions, I honestly don't know. I suspect they lie in better schools rather than bigger prisons. Or perhaps in how we try to educate (without indoctrinating) the hordes of people who'll be passing through those 24 hour courts. Immigration policy, over time, is bound to be key. And people can complain about how soon COBRA or Parliament meets, or how soon we can process prosecutions, but to me it seems that the real big, bright ideas that have to come won't be as emphatic or immediate as most hope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jgtuk said:

Stood behind some young lad yesterday, about 19 years old, had a tattoo “MAGA 2022” on his back. Had a North East accent. 
Scratching my head trying to work out why? 

There wasn't even an election in 2022!! These people don't have a brain cell to rub together

• Like 1

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

There wasn't even an election in 2022!! These people don't have a brain cell to rub together

It stands for Make Alnwick Great Again. There were tough local elections in the north east that year!

• Haha 1

Random thought, but a bit of a shame that protesters in Leicester didn't set fire to Lee Circle / Sky Plaza hotel and the old International hotel..

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Random thought, but a bit of a shame that protesters in Leicester didn't set fire to Lee Circle / Sky Plaza hotel and the old International hotel..

Lee Circle is gorgeous.

3 hours ago, jgtuk said:

Stood behind some young lad yesterday, about 19 years old, had a tattoo “MAGA 2022” on his back. Had a North East accent. 
Scratching my head trying to work out why? 

Must have had a great holiday in Magaluf

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

"Off out mum"

"Where you going?"

"Riotin' "

"Don't forget to take your balaclava so that nobody can identify you when you're doing all the lawbreaking"

"Howay etc"

GUNdqxbXsAAnT4a?format=jpg&name=medium

Who knew Ian Holloway is a Reform voter? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

i'll put a bally on my head but leave my arm with a very unique identifying mark on visible to all. the absolute state of these lot

The British far right are without doubt the stupidest in Europe. I suppose we should be thankful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

Lee Circle is gorgeous.

Just need to get the owners to maintain it properly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

They probably did. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference. 

This thread is providing a public service with out it enabling FTs to vent there'd be riots on here.

The forum would be torn to threads.

A lot of people in this country are just alcoholic yobs. You see the destruction every weekend. We are an aggressive and often a very racist society that likes smashing stuff. Don't know whether it's always been like this but as I posted the other there is a greater tolerance for this kind of thing here than anywhere I've been.

At the same time there's increasing poverty, poor education and now ethnic grievances. Not an ideal mix. It's like 19th century Odessa

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1