Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Also in the news

15 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Anyone else quit fast food?

It used to be quite good value, but is now seen as quite expensive,” says independent retail expert Clare Bailey. "You can have a sit-down plated meal in a pub for not much more than a meal deal from a fast-food chain."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz474lgw11xo

We used to have a Friday night splurge but a combination of shitty service and soaring prices has seen us knock it on the head. I'd rather whip up a fakeaway at home than visit a drive-thru now. They may be doing offers - but the VFM just isn't there.

I think you're now mainly paying for the speed of service above anything else in these places. A meal from KFC is probably costing you ~£15 in 2024 which is really hard to justify even though I'm a colonel fan. Never really been a vice for me but like that article says, you can have a full meal in a pub for the same price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Use one topic for news, we don't need a new Lets have a news thread, topical events thread and The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread. All these topics, like the latter did yesterday will just end up with conflict and politcal nonsense that saw the news topic locked. And the reason it was locked was because I've not got all day to monitor it and sort out all the reports where at least 70+% are all from the same kind of debates. So whats it to be?

And therein lies the problem as looking through the news there is a lot of what you call "political nonsense". 

You've only to watch PMQs on a Wednesday!!

Also I find your comment about monitoring somewhat strange as you are Admin.

The fact is that a select few on these boards can start a topic without issue whereas others have them removed. I suppose it's something to do with how many posts you've clocked up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A lot of mates I have are just giving up going out for food and I even begrudge getting a coffee out. They just charge a fortune for absolute guff. 

I get a free coffee each week as a reward with my energy supplier. Honestly, they just stick a cup under a machine and press a button. Wouldn't pay for it. 

• Like 1

I often get a hamburger from Burger King as I pass it on my way home. It’s quite small but tasty enough, £1.49 for a few bites of a tasty burger is all I can manage now. The fact a meal from McDonald’s is a tenner+ now is just robbery. Only eat out rarely at places I know are great quality and reasonable or on special occasions. Everything just seems like a total rip off now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raj said:

I would respectfully suggest reopening up the news thread and merge this or any other similar ones opened since the news one was locked?

I wasnt around to see what was posted in the news one for it to be locked but your right the random threads which end up being the news is abit daft.

Anyone/ posts which are out of order just get deleted/ warned/ banned.

Just make Raj a moderator.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Yeah, it became too much of a habit in lockdown and ended up being weekly for us. The timing of us getting sick of it was fortunate really as it coincided with the cost of living crisis, as knocking it on the head was pretty easy by then.

I can still make myself feel terrible by buying shite food with no nutritional value from the supermarket AND be quids in, ha ha wheeeee etc

:thumbup: IN YOUR FACE DIETARY REQUIREMENTS!

33 minutes ago, bovril said:

I need to move where you live

Well he's got a massive garden (albeit infested with bees), so I'm guessing somewhere posh, hence lack of deliveroo.

But the Waitrose van comes by often.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I think you're now mainly paying for the speed of service above anything else in these places. 

The last time I ordered a cheeseburger at a McDrivethru I had to wait for it to be cooked.

A cheesebuger.

And it was awful because the cheese wasn't melted.

If McDs can't have one of them waiting to dispense instantly then what is the point to them? It's like going into a corner shop and having to wait while they go fetch you a pint of milk and a loaf of bread from out back.

Last time we went to KFC I swear someone was sent out to go buy chicken from the nearest town as we had to wait so long.

From price to taste to service, I think they've all forgotten what they are there for.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Well he's got a massive garden (albeit infested with bees), so I'm guessing somewhere posh, hence lack of deliveroo.

But the Waitrose van comes by often.

Definitely not posh, secluded and full of birds and insects though. 
I *think* Waitrose do deliver locally but I’ve never even been in their store never mind had a delivery. 
Nearest Mcchickenking is nearly an hour away though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Only fish n chips or Indian for me these days. 

Fast food is not a value proposition anymore 

Both of which are also nowhere near as cheap as they used to be. 

When buying for 3 of us puts it into the £50 region, it isn't even like its a cheap treat at this point. And if you get it delivered you can pay upto a tenner in delivery fees. 

Just now, ramboacdc said:

Both of which are also nowhere near as cheap as they used to be. 

When buying for 3 of us puts it into the £50 region, it isn't even like its a cheap treat at this point. And if you get it delivered you can pay upto a tenner in delivery fees. 

Bloody hell, that’s unbelievable…

Iran are saying that they don’t care if their response launches a regional war - tbf, via their various proxies across the region they’ve managed to avoid becoming directly involved but the reality is that they have been because they’re responsible for the strategy. 

I went to McDonald's recently and was surprised by how pricey it has become. The quality has always been rock bottom, but at least when it was so cheap you could kind of justify it.

I think it's one of those juggernaut brands that it kind of invincible because it's so ingrained in the public mindsets.

If it came out tomorrow, brand new, I reckon people wouldn't actually like it. 

Just now, DennisNedry said:

I went to McDonald's recently and was surprised by how pricey it has become. The quality has always been rock bottom, but at least when it was so cheap you could kind of justify it.

I think it's one of those juggernaut brands that it kind of invincible because it's so ingrained in the public mindsets.

If it came out tomorrow, brand new, I reckon people wouldn't actually like it. 

Yeah it’s so hit and miss too. When it’s bad it’s absolutely shite. 

• Like 1