Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Also in the news

1 hour ago, Itsthejoeker said:

I’m out of the country at the moment, first time I’ve started seriously looking at property abroad. Sickening watching violent thugs drag down my home

I’ve been planning for a long time, lots of family already gone. 

17 minutes ago, davieG said:

There might be if ......

A prisoner who has served almost five times his original sentence for a laptop robbery still has no prospect of being released.

Abdullahi Suleman, 41, from Cardiff, is still in prison after being handed an Imprisonment for Public Protection, external (IPP) sentence in 2005.

These were handed out between 2005 and 2012 to try and keep the most dangerous criminals behind bars, but scrapped after criticism, such as the fact less serious offenders were getting caught up in the provision.

Suleman is one of the 2,734 prisoners who remain incarcerated after receiving an IPP sentence - 1,132 of whom have never been released, according to the latest data, external.

I read that article on the beeb website

basically their sentence is indeterminate so they are never really free.   BUT the examples they showed were people who had been released on parole several times and continued to re offend so taken straight back to jail.  There was a mobile phone thief who had been paroled three times and re offended each time so is now unable to get parole.   It’s not as if these people are just locked up forever as the headlines might be read. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Whilst I expect Starmer to help deliver the right framework to enact justice on these thugs, social media and especially Twitter must be clamped down upon, if he wants a suitable legacy from this vile display of right wing aggression. 
I see people on here claiming such and such about social media being quite frankly horrid over the last few days, as someone who doesn’t have any form of social media (except Foxes Talk and Untappd), get off it! Your life will be better for it.

A lot, maybe even most of these rioters operate on Facebook under their own names. The British government though seems keen to clamp down on social media anonymity and I'm sure they'll use this as an excuse.

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

While I agree it can be an absolute cesspit, you seem to be able to get a lot more information about things that mainstream news. 

The sad part about social media (especially X) is the sheer amount of bots (Russian?) that have infiltrated it and been able to inspire and dictate what happens on our streets... 

The only problem being that it's all completely unverifiable - mainstream media, for all it's faults, generally only publishes things that are verified fact. There's plenty of information out there on social, how much truth? If you believed social media last week, the Southport attacker was a boat migrant. That's my big issue with it. Musk has made Twitter (not calling it X) ten times worse by removing verification, and letting anyone pay for a blue tick - if you've got enough followers and a tick, you can really cause trouble.

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

A lot, maybe even most of these rioters operate on Facebook under their own names. The British government though seems keen to clamp down on social media anonymity and I'm sure they'll use this as an excuse.

23 minutes ago, StanSP said:

While I agree it can be an absolute cesspit, you seem to be able to get a lot more information about things that mainstream news. 

The sad part about social media (especially X) is the sheer amount of bots (Russian?) that have infiltrated it and been able to inspire and dictate what happens on our streets... 

It frustrates me that we have very little governance over social media, it can amplify voices of hatred and those who run it don’t have our best interests at heart. That’s before I even start with TikTok.

@StanSP The blue tick system has lost its legitimacy, so how do we now verify the information we see on Twitter? I agree it was useful for new snippets on stuff, or even perhaps signposting me towards journalists I might like. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, westernpark said:

It frustrates me that we have very little governance over social media, it can amplify voices of hatred and those who run it don’t have our best interests at heart.

Do people really want this? A government that is unable to fix societal problems will happily make it harder for us to talk about them. 

16 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

The only problem being that it's all completely unverifiable - mainstream media, for all it's faults, generally only publishes things that are verified fact. There's plenty of information out there on social, how much truth? If you believed social media last week, the Southport attacker was a boat migrant. That's my big issue with it. Musk has made Twitter (not calling it X) ten times worse by removing verification, and letting anyone pay for a blue tick - if you've got enough followers and a tick, you can really cause trouble.

16 minutes ago, westernpark said:

It frustrates me that we have very little governance over social media, it can amplify voices of hatred and those who run it don’t have our best interests at heart. That’s before I even start with TikTok.

@StanSP The blue tick system has lost its legitimacy, so how do we now verify the information we see on Twitter? I agree it was useful for new snippets on stuff, or even perhaps signposting me towards journalists I might like. 

I mean first-hand from people physically there taking videos etc. 

Not just journalists. But I can appreciate the lack of ability to verify things - I've fallen foul a few times on information that isn't 100% true, or has been twisted in a certain way. Happens many times across the board, no doubt. 

21 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I see Farage has started doing revisionism on the black lives matters protests calling the policing soft. They were powerful and most importantly peaceful in this country. 

Hmmm I think you might want to watch some of the videos back. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

Do people really want this? A government that is unable to fix societal problems will happily make it harder for us to talk about them. 

It’s about stopping outside actors from influencing. We don’t face an existential threat from people who want to better their lives and whose only choice is to seek asylum via boats, it’s China and Russia we must concentrate on. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I mean first-hand from people physically there taking videos etc. 

Not just journalists. But I can appreciate the lack of ability to verify things - I've fallen foul a few times on information that isn't 100% true, or has been twisted in a certain way. Happens many times across the board, no doubt. 

Having seen your posts on here, you’re clearly clever to engage in critical thinking when presented with a source! But there are so many people who just believe something because it’s on the internet, then amplify that with outside actors manipulating information.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, westernpark said:

It’s about stopping outside actors from influencing. We don’t face an existential threat from people who want to better their lives and whose only choice is to seek asylum via boats, it’s China and Russia we must concentrate on. 

I suspect this is the same reason the Russian and Chinese governments give for clamping down on free speech. 

Just now, bovril said:

I suspect this is the same reason the Russian and Chinese governments give for clamping down on free speech. 

Well, to some extent yes. Every country must look after their best interests but I actually believe stopping influence from China and especially Russia, strengthens our democracy. 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Yep. Every Starmer post will be met with some random account with an AI generated avatar, and spread hateful nonsense. 

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Hmmm I think you might want to watch some of the videos back. 

But they were mostly peaceful? Majority of arrests were for violation of Covid restrictions at the early protests. Even the US protests were 90% + peaceful according to the acled report

https://acleddata.com/2020/09/03/demonstrations-political-violence-in-america-new-data-for-summer-2020/ 

They didn’t go attacking randoms willy-nilly or burn hotels and loot shops over several days like this current lot are doing. 

10 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

But they were mostly peaceful? Majority of arrests were for violation of Covid restrictions at the early protests. Even the US protests were 90% + peaceful according to the acled report

https://acleddata.com/2020/09/03/demonstrations-political-violence-in-america-new-data-for-summer-2020/ 

They didn’t go attacking randoms willy-nilly or burn hotels and loot shops over several days like this current lot are doing. 

Because the majority marching weren’t competing for the same brain cell ………

this may seem to be flippant but it really isn’t. Sadly a lot of people on the EDL marches this weekend do not have the mental capacity to even begin to understand about immigration and its nuances. 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

He didn't say "mostly peaceful"; he said, "most importantly peaceful". 

And yes they did loot and smash up loads of shops, there were riot police out in force charging them FFS. Reporters attacked. 

It might not have been on the current scale, but you can pretend it didn't happen. 

As with all these things, an element of people take it too far. There are plenty of people out protesting about immigration who aren't smashing stuff up. Just as there were for BLM. 

COBR meeting today, a few days too late.

If we haven't used police reserves then why not, every video I've watched is the police getting completely overrun!

Hopefully it starts to quieten down this week and people start to get prosecuted quickly.

28 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He didn't say "mostly peaceful"; he said, "most importantly peaceful". 

And yes they did loot and smash up loads of shops, there were riot police out in force charging them FFS. Reporters attacked. 

It might not have been on the current scale, but you can pretend it didn't happen. 

As with all these things, an element of people take it too far. There are plenty of people out protesting about immigration who aren't smashing stuff up. Just as there were for BLM. 

And I’m pretty sure he wasn’t implying that it was 100% peaceful, not even sure any sizeable mass meeting could be. 
The police are always out in force for protests?
From what I can gather, all of the blm organisers online were calling for peaceful protests unlike this lot who are pretty much the opposite. I’m not sure the looting and smashing of shops were blm protestors, more like groups of disenfranchised opportunists out to cause mayhem. 
For the record, nobody is pretending things didn’t happen but they absolutely were mostly peaceful.