Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SafewayFox

Too soon to hit the panic button?

4 minutes ago, frany104 said:

Okoli looks bang average. When the balls at his feet he hasn’t got a clue. 

I think he was bought for his physicality and pace rather than his ball-playing ability. Unfortunately defenders with pace, physical presence and good ball skills tend to be expensive.

Looks that way. Though it's a weird one as you'd expect Maresca got us onto scouting him and yet he's nothing like what you'd call a Maresca defender.  But then given his attributes you'd think maybe he was brought in on the basis we'd be expected to have less of the ball and more defending to do so we need a more physical defender in there.  Saying that he's not exactly fast is he?

1 minute ago, JimJams said:

Looks that way. Though it's a weird one as you'd expect Maresca got us onto scouting him and yet he's nothing like what you'd call a Maresca defender.  But then given his attributes you'd think maybe he was brought in on the basis we'd be expected to have less of the ball and more defending to do so we need a more physical defender in there.  Saying that he's not exactly fast is he?

I wonder if he was scouted to play the hybrid left back/left centre back role in the Maresca system, effectively the Callum Doyle replacement. And the club in its infinite wisdom decided to press ahead with  the deal despite Enzo leaving. 

6 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I wonder if he was scouted to play the hybrid left back/left centre back role in the Maresca system, effectively the Callum Doyle replacement. And the club in its infinite wisdom decided to press ahead with  the deal despite Enzo leaving. 

Maybe, but he doesn't look like he has the passing range for that role really, nor is he left footed which is something Maresca wanted for that position. I think as some have said he was brought in for an expected outgoing. A sale of Faes? If Vesty hadn't renewed? Although he had by the time Okoli signed...

Of course it could have nothing to do with Enzo and him being a young Italian is pure coincidence. Cooper may have asked the recruitment team for a more physical defender and he was offered up as a gettable option.

Edited by JimJams
  • Like 1

I think that the time to hit the panic button has actually passed.  It is time to accept  grim reality, sit back and mentally prepare for the inevitable. 

Maybe take up a hobby, write that novel or learn a new language this year and come back reinvigorated for the big  promotion push next year. 

Edited by murphy
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, murphy said:

I think that the time to hit the panic. Button has actually passed.  It is time to accept  grim reality, sit back and mentally prepare for the inevitable. 

Maybe take up a hobby, write that novel or learn a new language this year and come back reinvigorated for the big  promotion push next year. 

It’s frustrating that we know we’re going to get a points deduction sounds like that will be given in the new year, so we have at least  5 months of football to try and get as much points on the board and get a few more decent players in before the inevitable takes place !

The buck has to stop with Jon Rudkin he’s the one who sorts out contracts etc dragging his feet trying to wear down agents and players offering contracts some would probably laugh at that’s what’s probably happened with Hlozeck why the lad suddenly stayed in Germany, we need to get in a DOF who just is a DOF for one club concentrating on City rather than having Lueven the Horse racing and City to look after we need someone to put 100% into City and not spend time elsewhere therefore missing out whilst he’s sorting his other projects out !

• Like 1

On 16/08/2024 at 23:23, Wortho said:

Was it worth signing him for £15m or keep Souttar🤷‍♀️

Based on what I’ve seen in pre season, I’d have saved the money and kept Souttar based on footballing ability alone. I guess we don’t know if Souttar is a bad Apple, however nothing to suggest that. 

Hamer and O’Hare both would have improved our midfield options. In fact I’m not sure we’d beat Sheffield United in our current state and they finished bottom last season. 

• Like 3

If the club have decided that we need to be (finally) financially prudent and so transfers are unlikely, I wish they’d come out and make a statement to the fans. As is, just seems like we’ve given up before we’ve kicked a ball. What does it do for the current players’ mentality seeing everyone else recruiting and us seemingly failing repeatedly?

To be this ineffective at securing purchases shows either our recruitment processes are at fault or there’s a willingness for them to fall through. 

• Like 3

Go with what we have and hope for the best seems like the clubs plan A .. and we talk about panic buttons .. its like your house being on fire and leaving it cuz you don't think the damage will be so bad 

it's the hope that kills you, and the complete silence since all these transfers fell apart, no rumours or speculation at all. nothing to get excited about, nothing to inspire the fans, and nothing to think the club are actually doing anything at all. i can see monday being absolutely vile if we go a couple of goals down early

This squad is such a mess and they’ve wasted huge portions of the window again that even if they fix it on deadline day, we’ve wasted 3 games already to try and be competitive. With impending points deduction(s), that’s a really really shit strategy.

• Like 3

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Spent almost 40m on a centre back and a defensive midfielder. Not how I saw the summer playing out tbh.

The club were briefing we needed an attacking midfielder, Number 10 and a left back a week ago as well as saying we didn't have much budget left.

Hopefully we've got another 60m left for the areas we really need 🤣

Funny how my panic has now just become numbness to the situation.

Cooper could leave tomorrow but the main problem remains - a terrible upper management that Enzo called out and completed their own review on their underperformance.

• Like 2