Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Starting lineup for spurs

Trialist A

Trialist B             Trialist C          Trialist D

Trialist E     Trialist F     Trialist G     Trialist H    

Trialist I                Trialist J

Trialist K

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SystonFox said:

Mads

Ricky P (right)

Okoli

Coady

Faes

Justin

Winks

Ndidi

Cordova Reid

Fatawu

Bergwijn

Mavididi

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-squad-being-pushed-9465323?fbclid=IwY2xjawEgfGZleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHRNUMcIDPUJWOdim3RuAdUyfz9BL50njwwML83fdTtWwHKLG84OQeG2LDw_aem_e4lQOUN0WKbk_2KwVf9icA

Leicester City squad 'being pushed higher' amid Steve Cooper's most difficult decision
Wout Faes discusses the competition for places at the back for City after he played his first pre-season game of the summer in the 1-0 defeat to Augsburg at the weekend

ByJordan Blackwell
10:48, 7 AUG 2024Updated11:42, 7 AUG 2024

Competition in the squad is pushing players to reach new heights, defender Wout Faes has said as he seeks to earn a spot in Leicester City’s most contentious position.

Faes only played for the first time this pre-season on Saturday, in the 1-0 defeat to Augsburg, with the Belgian afforded an extended break after his involvement at Euro 2024, and then suffering a minor toe injury on his return. He has a fight to keep his regular spot from last term.

Conor Coady, captain in City’s early pre-season games, looks to be in favour with Steve Cooper, while the club have paid £15m for Caleb Okoli this summer, with both able to make an impression before Faes and Jannik Vestergaard returned to training. However, last season’s regular duo at the back will still have a strong chance of starting against Tottenham, as Cooper has been keen to ensure there is a fair amount of continuity from the Championship-winning campaign.

Centre-back is the one position in the squad where City are well-stocked. They’ve now let Harry Souttar leave for Sheffield United on loan, while Ben Nelson could also depart, with plenty of Championship loan interest in him.

Faes told the club: “It’s exciting. Everyone’s excited to get started again in the Premier League. Everybody wants to show their qualities to the new manager and the new staff.

“Everyone’s on a clean sheet, let’s say, and that’s a good thing. There’s a lot of competition in the group which will push everyone higher, and then it’s up to the manager to make choices.

“It’s amazing (being back in the Premier League). That’s where all players want to be. It’s a big achievement to be back straight away, but we know we have to be competitive at that level as well, so we’re working hard to be ready for the Tottenham game.”

With Cooper’s set-up in defence mirroring Enzo Maresca’s, with one of the full-backs dropping in to form a back three when City are in possession, it’s likely Faes is in direct competition with Okoli to play in one of the wider roles. Then it’s between Coady and Vestergaard to take on the role in the centre.

The club's final pre-season friendly against Lens, a dress rehearsal for the new Premier League season, should reveal more as to Cooper's thinking. There remains a slight chance the manager could opt for a back five, with three centre-backs and two wing-backs.

Yeah there's certainly a stigma attached to Vesty from his days under Rodgers.

He will never set the world alight, but last season overall he was decent. I'd probably take him over Faes all things considered.

If nothing else, the way Vesty has come back from essentially being frozen out of the squad, to being very professional and pretty consistent, is admirable.

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AKCJ said:

lmao, no idea how i've done that. Okay Ricardo on the right, Justin on the left and Kristiansen off the bench.

I'm very disappointed here I thought that was deliberate lol 

To be honest i am absolutely dreading the start of this season, its gonna be horrifical. Half of me says dont spend the money on 3rd and 4th targets and keep it for nrxt season like sheffield united have.

The last time i felt this bad was under Peter Taylor and history speaks for itself, a 5-0 home drubbing to newly promoted Bolton.

I am getting to old for all of this now.

• Like 2

Unless we make a few late signings this is what I think is the line up we'll go with.

Okoli could be left out until he sees a Premership game or two as he's likely to be a risk not knowing the league.

It's a pity about Vesty's pace as he'd be certainty to start.

Hermansen

Ricardo Coady Okoli Justin

Winks Ndidi

Fatawu Reid Mavididi

Daka/Vardy

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Trialist A

Trialist B             Trialist C          Trialist D

Trialist E     Trialist F     Trialist G     Trialist H    

Trialist I                Trialist J

Trialist K

What are you smoking, Trialist G was absolutely wank against Augsburg 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

James McAtee (loan) and Elijah Adebayo. £15-20m in total?  

Not glamorous but decent players. 

Not sure we get either plus they won’t keep us up imo…..we need 3 or 4 quality starters in my opinion plus the bench attacking wise is weak - left back, attacking midfield, striker to start 

6 hours ago, Allenho11 said:

Right, with what we have got at the moment, how are people thinking we will lineup?

How do you like this? (Yes I know that Fatuwu isn’t a 10 and there is no Ndidi. The below is probably the best chance we've got at threatening their goal).

Herm

justin (right)

Faes

Okali

Kristensen (left)

Winks

Ricardo

Fatuwu (as the 10)

Mavididi (left)

Macateer (right)

Cannon

Are you for real what an awful line up

6 hours ago, Allenho11 said:

Right, with what we have got at the moment, how are people thinking we will lineup?

How do you like this? (Yes I know that Fatuwu isn’t a 10 and there is no Ndidi. The below is probably the best chance we've got at threatening their goal).

Herm

justin (right)

Faes

Okali

Kristensen (left)

Winks

Ricardo

Fatuwu (as the 10)

Mavididi (left)

Macateer (right)

Cannon

I’ve got as much chance of starting the game against Spurs as Cannon does. 

2 hours ago, stevostadium said:

To be honest i am absolutely dreading the start of this season, its gonna be horrifical. Half of me says dont spend the money on 3rd and 4th targets and keep it for nrxt season like sheffield united have.

The last time i felt this bad was under Peter Taylor and history speaks for itself, a 5-0 home drubbing to newly promoted Bolton.

I am getting to old for all of this now.

Completely agree. We clearly don't have the money to actually try and compete, or more correctly we aren't allowed to spend the money we need to. We have nowhere near enough quality and most weeks will just be trying to stay in the game. 

The reality we most likely need to prepare ourselves for:

Hermansen

Justin

Faes

Vestergaard

Ricardo

Ndidi

Winks

Choudhury

Fatawu

Mavididi

Daka