Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

UK Riots

Here's an interesting one, not so much about the offence itself or sentencing but that you can get £1,400 a month just for posting right-wing stuff on Twitter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c5y3gre3y9yo

Once again I find myself wondering of the extent to which people really actually have genuinely extreme views, and how much of the stuff they come out with is to curry favour with those they think also have these views (basically trying to get into Club Racist), or gain £££

23 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Here's an interesting one, not so much about the offence itself or sentencing but that you can get £1,400 a month just for posting right-wing stuff on Twitter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c5y3gre3y9yo

Once again I find myself wondering of the extent to which people really actually have genuinely extreme views, and how much of the stuff they come out with is to curry favour with those they think also have these views (basically trying to get into Club Racist), or gain £££

Could be a bit of both tbh.

Start with it as a means to make bank, and end up actually buying into the ideology wholesale.

The rather sad thing is that the money trail is clear and obvious to anyone interested in the matter (leading back through London to Moscow and the evangelical southern US) but no one has the power and inclination to really address it.

46 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Laughable. Why bother? I get £4,750 per month to post nonsense on here.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Could be a bit of both tbh.

Start with it as a means to make bank, and end up actually buying into the ideology wholesale.

The rather sad thing is that the money trail is clear and obvious to anyone interested in the matter (leading back through London to Moscow and the evangelical southern US) but no one has the power and inclination to really address it.

...although most folk seem gloriously unaware of this. It's one of those things though that you can actually get buy in from people; saying that funding and influence from overseas, foreign ownership of UK media etc are less than ideal isn't something I find that anyone really argues with.

I think it's an angle that should be made more of - nobody likes being exploited but it's also important to let people down gently as they don't readily admit to it either. "I fell completely for a grifter's nonsense" is not something you hear to often is it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Laughable. Why bother? I get £4,750 per month to post nonsense on here.

I consider this good value FOR NOW but I should remind you this is a tap I can and will turn off if I should ever feel our interests are....no longer fully aligned

• Haha 2

On 18/08/2024 at 16:01, Tuna said:

35?

Tough paper round.

If you'd been oppressed by the white-hating, tree-hugging, queer-loving, matriarchy like he has been, you'd look like that too.

Can't believe I nearly missed loads of out and out racists and right wing grift Twitter accounts posting a glorious cut and paste "disclaimer" about their activities that has about as much legal clout as those that your Gran posts on Facebook in an effort to stop Mark Zuckerberg using her data.

Makes them easier to find, at least

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Can't believe I nearly missed loads of out and out racists and right wing grift Twitter accounts posting a glorious cut and paste "disclaimer" about their activities that has about as much legal clout as those that your Gran posts on Facebook in an effort to stop Mark Zuckerberg using her data.

Makes them easier to find, at least

It did, and my block list is all the healthier for it. lol

38 minutes ago, Daggers said:

It did, and my block list is all the healthier for it. lol

A crueller version of me would reply to them all saying that now they've posted that they can actually say whatever they want and really go to town with no risk of anything bad happening AT ALL

• Haha 1

Honestly shocked to discover that yet another Far Right, rioting, "protek are kidz", "oh tommeh tommeh" paedo is in fact a convicted paedo.

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2024-08-21/a-self-proclaimed-freedom-fighter-caught-by-sickening-video-of-racist-attack

"The court was also shown a video of him wearing a helmet with a camera on it chanting “England, England, England - take it back” and “Save our kids"."

The defendant runs his own social media channel in which he describes himself as a "freedom fighter" and "critical thinker".

"The court heard how Gilchrest had 31 previous convictions including sexual offences against children under the age of 13."

It's always the ones you most suspect.

• Sad 3

16 hours ago, Daggers said:

GVhNXe4WEAAXuZE.jpeg

To be serious for a minute it is shocking how much serious news organisations like the BBC are underplaying these crimes, pandering to the Daily Mail / Express reading outrage merchants. 

Oh the guy this refers to was also out on licence from a 20 year sentence for drug smuggling. A total wrong un.

Or...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

To be serious for a minute it is shocking how much serious news organisations like the BBC are underplaying these crimes, pandering to the Daily Mail / Express reading outrage merchants. 

Oh the guy this refers to was also out on licence from a 20 year sentence for drug smuggling. A total wrong un.

Or...

Sadly the general public will just get sucked into the headline. 

You'd think an org like BBC would avoid clickbait in this current societal climate and not mislead people as such. People latch on to 'in prison for changing' but won't look into the detail behind it. Wouldn't surprise me if several of the offenders were perhaps all in similar situations - previous convictions, out on license, on suspended sentences? Big generalisation, I know. 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Sadly the general public will just get sucked into the headline. 

You'd think an org like BBC would avoid clickbait in this current societal climate and not mislead people as such. People latch on to 'in prison for changing' but won't look into the detail behind it. Wouldn't surprise me if several of the offenders were perhaps all in similar situations - previous convictions, out on license, on suspended sentences? Big generalisation, I know. 

Sadly it’s just another reflection of poor journalism - this time at the beeb.  I’m afraid that standards are dropping and we have to get used to it 

• Like 1

"He said the 56-year-old “doesn’t know why he involved himself” in the violence having gone into the city to buy a suit"

We keep slagging these folk off but it could happen to anyone really, couldn't it? You head into town to buy a nice new bit of clobber or whatever, one thing leads to another and before you know it you're front and centre of a massive racist riot. 

"Did you get that suit you were after, love?"

"No but I did get something else (that you might actually prefer on the balance of probability) - 20 months inside!"

• Haha 2

The problem now is children don't know what to do with themselves.

In the 19th century they would have been working down mines.

In the 21st century they play Minecraft all the time.

Children crave mining!

We should listen to them and give them what they want.

• Haha 2