Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

UK Riots

18 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Don't forget the US elite attitude of "I made it by myself totally, apart from a massive bunch of cash and networking contacts from my parents but that doesn't count" too.

And the favourite American myth of their country being founded on freedom of speech and the rejection of tyranny. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

Elon Musk really is just getting more and more toxic. I remember him always being eccentric and outspoken but I don’t remember when he drank the alt-right koolaid.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Around the time he thought he could talk Trump round when he won in 2016, and then much more fully around the time he took ownership of Twitter.

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Went off him when he referred to one of the guys who helps rescue those Thai kids from a flooded cave as a paedo.

I think he's a psychopath with associated narcissism.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Starmer wants to be seen as tough on crime. Fair play, but don't bleat about the prison population rising.

I suppose the deterrent is a short term rise, but long term it should drop. 

I am loving watching the far right having their comeuppance. They have become condition into thinking that they could say and do anything they wanted for over a decade. The lid has been squarely slammed on that box.

But it's time the ones behind the ones got their 4am knocks. Those grifters who have been spawning an income off hate. Let's see some of them go down.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, bovril said:

Everybody trying to analyse why Musk is as he is when maybe the answer is just 'he's South African' 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That the difference between "information backed by scientific consensus that caused several orders of magnitude more good than harm" and "information based on no proof whatsoever that is clearly and deliberately designed to incite violence against a particular demographic" is not being grasped here is either incredibly ignorant or malicious.

Possibly both.

• Like 1

These guys are so far gone now that they’ll just say the most insidious crap and when they get pulled up for it, they’ll just say free speech is dead. 

“the nazi’s were right”

Starmer: “that’s a bad thing to say”

”communist starmer is killing free speech”

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

I love how they've decided he's a tyrant after just a month for simply upholding the existing law. They're going to be ****ing furious when they find out who actually brought in the Online Safety Bill.

I'm a little bit disappointed they've shat it so quickly and given up. Personally, I could watch far more woman eating tarmac while pushing burning bin/man hit in bollocks by brick/man with dog hanging off his arse videos.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

You'll see absolutely none of the rioters who chanted 'two tier Kier' mention this in any debate/argument.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robo61 said:

"The UK has a “two-tier approach” to extremism that fails to treat far-right attacks as seriously as Islamist ones"

I think Islamist attacks have killed far more in the UK and Europe in the last two decades than far right terrorism, so this seems sensible. 

• Like 1

I was in London this weekend.  Took the kids away for a couple of days (i now need to sell a kidney due to the cost if anyone wants to buy one!!) - But there were a couple of things that I noticed. 

Firstly.... there was absolutely no feeling of fear, aggro or danger.  Everyone was having fun. People of all colours, creeds and nationalities, getting on, mingling, being nice to each other. 

The other thing that I noticed is that the "london bubble" is a real thing.  We stayed in the Angel / Islington area and travelled into the city each 10 (like, a 20 minute tube right) - Even though is meant to be one of the poorer boroughs in London, it is a magnitude of difference in terms of provision and amenities when you compare it to places elsewhere in the UK.  No boarded up shops, no streets full of charity shops.  Just masses of great looking bars, restaurants, grocers, butchers etc. 

I live in a relatively nice Market Town in Leicestershire and our High Street is an absolute shower compared to what was about in Angel. 

I appreciate that London is our capital, but I wasn't staying in an area that was particularly touristy.   

If the REST of the UK could look like that, then lots of this aggro and narrative of "we've lost our country" would go away.

It shows just how much of our national wealth is concentrated into a very small area of the UK. It's like a different world in terms of provision. 

4 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

I was in London this weekend.  Took the kids away for a couple of days (i now need to sell a kidney due to the cost if anyone wants to buy one!!) - But there were a couple of things that I noticed. 

Firstly.... there was absolutely no feeling of fear, aggro or danger.  Everyone was having fun. People of all colours, creeds and nationalities, getting on, mingling, being nice to each other. 

The other thing that I noticed is that the "london bubble" is a real thing.  We stayed in the Angel / Islington area and travelled into the city each 10 (like, a 20 minute tube right) - Even though is meant to be one of the poorer boroughs in London, it is a magnitude of difference in terms of provision and amenities when you compare it to places elsewhere in the UK.  No boarded up shops, no streets full of charity shops.  Just masses of great looking bars, restaurants, grocers, butchers etc. 

I live in a relatively nice Market Town in Leicestershire and our High Street is an absolute shower compared to what was about in Angel. 

I appreciate that London is our capital, but I wasn't staying in an area that was particularly touristy.   

If the REST of the UK could look like that, then lots of this aggro and narrative of "we've lost our country" would go away.

It shows just how much of our national wealth is concentrated into a very small area of the UK. It's like a different world in terms of provision. 

I completely agree with this on the provision of amenities front - no amount of money would make me want to move to London though!

• Like 1

Just now, Tommy G said:

I completely agree with this on the provision of amenities front - no amount of money would make me want to move to London though!

oh I agree with you there. I worked in London for 3 years, but commuted from Leicester. The experience of rush hour on the tube, in the height on summer, is enough to put anyone off. 

it was more that there is a wildly different world down there when you compare it to elsewhere in the UK.   

Mass Transit systems make a huge difference, as it's easy to get anywhere.   

But more than that, even those areas on the outskirts of the city appear to be thriving.   I'm sure that's a really simplistic view, and no doubt there will be real poverty in certain places across the city, but I can't imagine that areas on the outskirts of Birmingham or Manchester, being quite such an attractive place to live.