Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

UK Riots

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Absolute state of some of these cvnts getting banged up for rioting.

Interesting how many of them are reported as crying in court when the judge reads their sentences out.

I'm not one to judge, but there's some tough paper rounds that have been had... 

Screenshot_20240814-161511.png

Screenshot_20240814-161432.png

Screenshot_20240814-161339.png

Screenshot_20240814-161314.png

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

100%. They won't ever see it that way because they've been taught to believe they've been wronged. 

We've had the Age of Enlightenment.

Welcome to the Age of Entitlement.

29 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'm not one to judge, but there's some tough paper rounds that have been had... 

Screenshot_20240814-161511.png

Screenshot_20240814-161432.png

Screenshot_20240814-161339.png

Screenshot_20240814-161314.png

Interesting on the last one with Julie:

The court heard that Ms Sweeney had led a 'quiet, sheltered life' and had 'not troubled the courts in her long life'. 

Goes to show that for every repeat offender with 170 convictions there's the quiet keyboard warrior casually calling for the death of people who thinks nothing of it. Actions have consequences.

Daily Mail comments of her sentencing are wild, btw. Completely ignoring the actual content of her post.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

youth clubs, scouts/guides, DofE, community groups

Often seen as 'not cool' by today's youths probably because they are run by adults so not that different to home.

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

Interesting on the last one with Julie:

Goes to show that for every repeat offender with 170 convictions there's the quiet keyboard warrior casually calling for the death of people who thinks nothing of it. Actions have consequences.

Daily Mail comments of her sentencing are wild, btw. Completely ignoring the actual content of her post.

What I find interesting is there is a lot of social media derision of the sentences being handed out relating to tweets or Facebook posts with the usual suspects being the ring leaders.

And to a degree, there are some cases I’ve seen the fringes of that I wonder… “hmmm, should that be attracting a conviction, let alone a sentence.”

However - those exclaiming the death of free speech aren’t doing anything practical to help the people they’re tweeting about.

Not one crowd funder. No offers of legal assistance. 

It’s almost as if it’s all performative group think rage - something which both sides of the political spectrum are guilty of.

2 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

What I find interesting is there is a lot of social media derision of the sentences being handed out relating to tweets or Facebook posts with the usual suspects being the ring leaders.

And to a degree, there are some cases I’ve seen the fringes of that I wonder… “hmmm, should that be attracting a conviction, let alone a sentence.”

However - those exclaiming the death of free speech aren’t doing anything practical to help the people they’re tweeting about.

Not one crowd funder. No offers of legal assistance. 

It’s almost as if it’s all performative group think rage - something which both sides of the political spectrum are guilty of.

Imagine Dave Gorman creating a 'Found Poem' out of that.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Benguin said:

I can’t believe people are going to jail for comments on facebook and people are okay with it. I have seen people spout worse stuff than What some have got sent down for on here. 

Context is important.  If you post something inflammatory during public disorder it is easy to foresee the consequences.  

• Like 1

Also when dealing with this kind of thing it is important to consider a proportionate response. Why? Because we are in the realms of dangerous precedent setting.

Look at Ricky Jones - high degree of influence, said to a big crowd, direct call for violence. Compare that with someone with 200 followers on X. You could argue that because the latter case gets 30 months, Ricky should get 5 years plus! But does anyone serious believe Ricky actually wants to cut everyones throat? Does he deserve 5 years plus for what he saiid?

20 minutes ago, Benguin said:

I disagree that the consequences originate from an inflammatory post. That presents a number of problems that have seemingly been disregarded by the courts. 

13 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Also when dealing with this kind of thing it is important to consider a proportionate response. Why? Because we are in the realms of dangerous precedent setting.

Look at Ricky Jones - high degree of influence, said to a big crowd, direct call for violence. Compare that with someone with 200 followers on X. You could argue that because the latter case gets 30 months, Ricky should get 5 years plus! But does anyone serious believe Ricky actually wants to cut everyones throat? Does he deserve 5 years plus for what he saiid?

I take your point, but words have consequences. And I think that there is a danger that unless strong action is taken to provide a genuine deterrent, the schoolyard culture of 'I want all the rights and none of the responsibilities' will continue to get out of hand.

I do NOT think you are saying/doing this, but there is enormous denial amongst many, that what one posts as 'fact' can do enormous damage - one only need look at the aftermath of Southport to see that in action. We live in an age where disinformation is rife, and for some is a political industry in itself.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

This is not new

in past times of riots, the courts impose strong sentences quickly and that serves as deterrent 

I recall someone being sent down in 2011 for stealing a cream bun during a riot ??

Don't some countries chop their hands off for similar incidents or is that a bit archaic now?

15 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Don't some countries chop their hands off for similar incidents or is that a bit archaic now?

I'm sure those rioting would be strongly in favour of taking an Sharia approach to justice.

• Haha 1

The thing is, lots of people are saying that this is a "loss of freedom of speech" without actually realising what freedom of speech means.   It isn't limitless and it isn't without consequence, especially if it's deemed to risk national security. 

it "may" be a stretch to say a 53 year old women is causing a risk to our national security.... but... the riots could have escalated much more and become much more insidious than they were, and it's those type of comments online that add fire to the flames. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

The thing is, lots of people are saying that this is a "loss of freedom of speech" without actually realising what freedom of speech means.   It isn't limitless and it isn't without consequence, especially if it's deemed to risk national security. 

it "may" be a stretch to say a 53 year old women is causing a risk to our national security.... but... the riots could have escalated much more and become much more insidious than they were, and it's those type of comments online that add fire to the flames. 

Agreed.

It’s the domino impact from such things in reality. 

If you’re already standing around a massive bonfire, you don’t start to put petrol on it.

I’d been out of the country largely why this all kicked off and was quite blind to it all. I think I missed the worst of it, however having now seen some of the footage, it would appear it was a convent excuse for people just to smash stuff up. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sly said:

Agreed.

It’s the domino impact from such things in reality. 

If you’re already standing around a massive bonfire, you don’t start to put petrol on it.

I’d been out of the country largely why this all kicked off and was quite blind to it all. I think I missed the worst of it, however having now seen some of the footage, it would appear it was a convent excuse for people just to smash stuff up. 

The courts are having nun of it!!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

The courts are having nun of it!!

Sorry, did I make you “cross” :ph34r:

I’ve made myself look like a right “monk”.