Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

US Presidential Election 2024

29 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

Good on her. It probably doesn't help that the perception is that Texas will always be Red, so why bother, but it seems like Texas is becoming more and more of a toss-up nationally. 

I definitely grew up in an era where enlightened centrism, of "both sides suck" was very prevalent. Now, I think that couldn't be farther from the truth. The ideological divide between the two major parties has grown exceptionally over the last decade. 

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who still haven't got the memo there.

58 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cly8y27dwgpo

And introducing a member of the Trump circle, Laura Loomer.

Riddle me this: just how far gone do you have to be when Marjorie Taylor Greene thinks you go too far?

MTG is probably jealous, she loves Trump after all in that cringey Dorries/Johnstone way.  On a sidenote I see Trump has repeatedly said he doesn't want another debate.  Any bets he has a last minute change of heart?

Edited by Torquay Gunner

We could really do with one of them pulling away in the polls in the swing states 

a close contest right out to polling day is just going to lead to the right shouting foul and unrest if/when they lose. If it becomes clear that they are going to lose then less of them will think it’s been ‘stolen’. 

A strong indication that Harris is going to prevail might also help move along ongoing global events.  Big players out there are waiting to see if trump can win because it will change their calculations. 

however, the choice the Americans have remains hugely underwhelming.  I’m not keen to see trump elected but I also don’t see his second term being much different to his first. The rhetoric was generally way uglier than the actions last time,  I haven’t checked if we’re due to see any Supreme Court judges retire in the next four years. That would be v concerning. 

harris doesn’t inspire me either - to be fair, I havent see enough of her to make any judgments. I have noted that she has sometimes attended events with/endorsed a few people that she’d probably wish she hadn’t in retrospect.  Those with eyes on the ultimate prize would be expected to be pretty careful in this regard (unless you’re trump). I assume she’ll be a safe pair of hands following most of biden’s policies. whether that means the world will be safer and more prosperous over the next four years is open to conjecture. It could be that this election is more important regarding who sits in the WhiteHouse when the decade flips over into the thirties than the next four years. That term could be more critical than the next one for us all. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

We could really do with one of them pulling away in the polls in the swing states 

a close contest right out to polling day is just going to lead to the right shouting foul and unrest if/when they lose. If it becomes clear that they are going to lose then less of them will think it’s been ‘stolen’. 

A strong indication that Harris is going to prevail might also help move along ongoing global events.  Big players out there are waiting to see if trump can win because it will change their calculations. 

however, the choice the Americans have remains hugely underwhelming.  I’m not keen to see trump elected but I also don’t see his second term being much different to his first. The rhetoric was generally way uglier than the actions last time,  I haven’t checked if we’re due to see any Supreme Court judges retire in the next four years. That would be v concerning. 

harris doesn’t inspire me either - to be fair, I havent see enough of her to make any judgments. I have noted that she has sometimes attended events with/endorsed a few people that she’d probably wish she hadn’t in retrospect.  Those with eyes on the ultimate prize would be expected to be pretty careful in this regard (unless you’re trump). I assume she’ll be a safe pair of hands following most of biden’s policies. whether that means the world will be safer and more prosperous over the next four years is open to conjecture. It could be that this election is more important regarding who sits in the WhiteHouse when the decade flips over into the thirties than the next four years. That term could be more critical than the next one for us all. 

Given the events of 2020 where a pretty conclusive victory led to serious unrest anyway, I think that's going to happen this time round again regardless of the margin of victory for Harris (should she win). The cult of personality surrounding Trump will simply not accept him losing.

WRT the future, long term policy decisions had an effect during his last four years and they likely would have still more of an effect were he to win again. And ask Heather Heyer just how ugly the actions were last time round.

22 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Given the events of 2020 where a pretty conclusive victory led to serious unrest anyway, I think that's going to happen this time round again regardless of the margin of victory for Harris (should she win). The cult of personality surrounding Trump will simply not accept him losing.

WRT the future, long term policy decisions had an effect during his last four years and they likely would have still more of an effect were he to win again. And ask Heather Heyer just how ugly the actions were last time round.

If the polls have moved markedly away from him pre November then hopefully it’s only the real nutjobs who won’t accept defeat 

13 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I wouldn’t bet on that. Guy will try everything in his power to change the law in his favour in that regard.

It's impossible to do. Won't happen no matter what he thinks he wants to do.

Besides, he is old and seems less fit then biden (outside of foggy biden look stuff) and I wouldn't be surprised if he or biden didn't  make it through their next term given their ages. 

It's more concerning that Vance guy could become a president in that scenario seems like a right knob.

Edited by Jattdogg

25 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

hmmmm ….. good point 

Could trump claim theft if the polls are markedly against him pre polling day?  Maybe he’ll just have to suck it up this time 

Is there any suggestion at all that he, or more pointedly his supporter base, will do this?

20 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think it's fanciful to think that there won't be huge disturbances surrounding the election. 

It's a hope, rather than an expectation, for me.

The expectation is that there will be violence, as there was post-2020 election.

I guess the problem is that between now and beginning November there isn’t going to be a dramatic swing to either candidate. So it will be tight in the polls and trump’s base will stick their hard hats on and cry foul 

if Harris was 5% ahead in the swing states then even trump would find it tough to call a defeat out as irregular 

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I guess the problem is that between now and beginning November there isn’t going to be a dramatic swing to either candidate. So it will be tight in the polls and trump’s base will stick their hard hats on and cry foul 

if Harris was 5% ahead in the swing states then even trump would find it tough to call a defeat out as irregular 

I really think he would,  he doesn't believe in polls that show him losing.  

So Trump has just announced that if he was elected, he would end all taxes on people working overtime. So anyone working more than 40 hrs a week won’t pay taxes on those hrs.  

can’t argue with that, personally!

except of course it’s from Trumps own mouth so hard to tell if it would ever happen.

10 minutes ago, MPH said:

So Trump has just announced that if he was elected, he would end all taxes on people working overtime. So anyone working more than 40 hrs a week won’t pay taxes on those hrs.  

can’t argue with that, personally!

except of course it’s from Trumps own mouth so hard to tell if it would ever happen.

And quite apart from the above, public services that might actually benefit those worse off can clearly go hang. Not that public services in the US apart from those that involve shooting or blowing people up (sorry,  "defense" and "serve and protect") are in any kind of shape anyway.

Edited by leicsmac

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

And quite apart from the above, public services that might actually benefit those worse off can clearly go hang. Not that public services in the US apart from those that involve shooting or blowing people up (sorry,  "defense" and "serve and protect") are in any kind of shape anyway.

I don’t think public services depend on wether the average Joe works overtime or not….

43 minutes ago, MPH said:

I don’t think public services depend on wether the average Joe works overtime or not….

By itself? No.

As a part of an overall tax structure that's supposed to help the most vulnerable in society? Yes.

Mind you, as above, I don't suppose it matters much given the state of such "help" Stateside anyway, so this measure probably won't make much difference. I know it's just the way things work over there.

Edited by leicsmac