Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sankey93

Sam Johnstone - signed for Wolves

Good keeper, seems a waste for a second-choice which could indicate Mads is on his way.

I love Mads and would prefer to see him as our keeper but - if we have to - I wouldn't be against having Johnstone as our #1 with Mads sold to bring in a load more cash to spend to strengthen the squad.

It would definitely represent a departure from last season's style of play though. I'd like us to play nice football if I had a choice but survival by any means has to be the #1 priority.

41 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Simply because losing Ward and Iversen and replacing them with Johnstone strengthens thee squad 

id rather have:

Hermansen

Stolaryxz

Johnstone

than

Hermansen

Ward

Iversen

Stolaryxz

Why would we spend £10m on a backup keeper when we have limited funds and have other areas that need strengthening? Are you John Rudkin?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Why would we spend £10m on a backup keeper when we have limited funds and have other areas that need strengthening? Are you John Rudkin?

I wouldn't spend £10m but if Iversen goes I definitely think we need a new number 2 ideally on loan or very cheap

We are just an injury to Hermansen away from Ward playing for us in the Prem again

43 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I wouldn't spend £10m but if Iversen goes I definitely think we need a new number 2 ideally on loan or very cheap

We are just an injury to Hermansen away from Ward playing for us in the Prem again

Bravo on a free

5 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

slightly different though. Picking the best young south american talents to sell on if they don’t work out is one thing… but they wouldn’t be taking a keeper from river plate as a first choice 

Their number two is arguably good enough to be their number one though. Problem is, Ederson is next level.

He ain't coming here is he. Just tabloid rubbish. He doesn't want to play second fiddle at a team likely to stay in the premiership, he isn't going to come do it for the favourites to go down either is he.

• Like 1

He’s average. Can’t see it happening, we don’t need another average keeper ffs. My concern with Cooper from his last season in the premier league with Notts Forest was that he was more than happy to select clearly bang average/poor keepers when we everyone could see that the American Turner and the Greek lad were both liabilities from day 1. As soon as he was sacked the goalie changed to Sels who was clearly a much more secure keeper. If Hermansen wasn’t at LCFC and based on the friendlies, I reckon Cooper would be more than happy to play fellow Welshman Ward despite his selection pretty much guaranteeing relegation. :dunno:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

He’s average. Can’t see it happening, we don’t need another average keeper ffs. My concern with Cooper from his last season in the premier league with Notts Forest was that he was more than happy to select clearly bang average/poor keepers when we everyone could see that the American Turner and the Greek lad were both liabilities from day 1. As soon as he was sacked the goalie changed to Sels who was clearly a much more secure keeper. If Hermansen wasn’t at LCFC and based on the friendlies, I reckon Cooper would be more than happy to play fellow Welshman Ward despite his selection pretty much guaranteeing relegation. :dunno:

He's not going to choose Ward over Mads, I doubt even Rodgers would. I also doubt there’s a club in today's market willing to pay what we're asking for Mads.

1 hour ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

You've done well to take a pop at Cooper here considering he was dismissed in December 2023 and Sels was signed last day of the Jan 2024 transfer window. Don't let the facts get in the way of your opinion though pal :thumbup:

Err you’ve had a mare here. You’ve merely reworded exactly what I said. Cooper was happy to play Turner and the Greek lad. Both were visibly not up to the job. He gets sacked, the new manager comes in and one of his VERY FIRST actions is to replace the poor goalies that Cooper trusted. Ignore the facts mate eh? 

1 minute ago, funkyrobot said:

Err you’ve had a mare here. You’ve merely reworded exactly what I said. Cooper was happy to play Turner and the Greek lad. Both were visibly not up to the job. He gets sacked, the new manager comes in and one of his VERY FIRST actions is to replace the poor goalies that Cooper trusted. Ignore the facts mate eh? 

Your reaching here.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Your reaching here.

The new manager comes in and he sees what was an obvious major problem and corrects it literally straight away? Where’s the reaching there then? Sells was visibly a way better keeper from the get go. Turner was never good enough, not many fans would’ve thought he looked good from his limited Arsenal career. Cooper selected him, & would’ve had some influence on the keeper he wanted in the transfer window. It was as bad as Rodger’s trusting Ward. I have no agenda against Cooper, I hope he does well but a link with Johnstone after trusting only Ward whilst Mads was away, coming after his last season obvious goalie errors is a worry. What happens if Mads gets poached? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

In the transfer window that opened after Cooper was sacked. Turner continued to play until Sels was bought on 1 February. Cooper never had the option of playing Sels.  He had the choice of two poor keepers and was picking the least bad one of the two. How do you know Forest wouldn’t have signed a new keeper in that transfer window if Cooper was still in charge? Maybe he’d already told them to target one…

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, trooky said:

No idea why we would waste money on a backup keeper when we desperately need starters in attacking midfielder and striker positions.

I imagine we asked about him because we were thinking that Hermansen might go.

3 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

In the transfer window that opened after Cooper was sacked. Turner continued to play until Sels was bought on 1 February. Cooper never had the option of playing Sels.  He had the choice of two poor keepers and was picking the least bad one of the two. How do you know Forest wouldn’t have signed a new keeper in that transfer window if Cooper was still in charge? Maybe he’d already told them to target one…

How many times do I have to go over this. Cooper happily went in to the start of that season with newly signed Turner as first choice and newly signed Vlachodimos as back up when both weren’t good enough to be top level keepers in the Prem - ask a Benfica fan about the Greek lad if you doubt what I say. Basically they signed two Danny Ward keepers. That was a very weak goalkeeping lineup and it proved to be a factor in Forest conceding soft goals. Are you seriously telling me that Cooper had no input into those signings? The new manager, a former keeper, corrects the obvious error straight away with a keeper that makes saves. Cooper was sacked in part because he was happy to go along with the signing of two keepers who were obviously not good enough. 

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

I imagine we asked about him because we were thinking that Hermansen might go.

Johnstone not being even near the level of Hermansen is the problem with that plan if true. 

3 minutes ago, BillyFOX12 said:

Surely we're not dumb enough in paying £10m for an untested back-up keeper, that would be abysmal business.

R - D -I-N………,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BillyFOX12 said:

Surely we're not dumb enough in paying £10m for an untested back-up keeper, that would be abysmal business.

Yes, £12m would be much more savvy 🤔

24 minutes ago, BillyFOX12 said:

No, we're not. We're getting the obligatory link to a player to generate clicks and interest.

If we were in for a backup keeper, I've said it before, and it makes even more sense now cos he worked with Cooper, Keylor Navas is a free agent.  We could have 37 year old serial winners at each end of the pitch.

We're mentioned again in this article, but I don't think it's anything new. More wanted to comment on how nice we are as a club, even to our detriment. No ruthlessness in forcing players out the door. Ward still shirt #1.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...