Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FrankieADZ

Buonanotte - joined on loan.

Haven't the premier league tightened up on the loan market?  To try and stop clubs like Chelsea buying young talent, stockpiling them, and then just loaning them permanently out, never ever intending to play them in their first eleven.

I don't know if they have?  Or is there a now permitted amount of loans a club can have?

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

To be honest I wouldn’t mind if most of our signings were loans, given our current situation. Saves us wasting 10m+ on average players.

there is a bit of a misconception about loans though. When you sign from a position like ours you tend to pay 3m odd in a loan fee, which is still the same as amortizing a 12m deal except no resale. 

Im not saying we shouldn’t do it for the right player but we’d be no better off loaning an okoli, than signing him in this years books. All comes down to the player , obviously if the loan players are a higher standard because the clubs want to keep them then it’s worth it. This seems like a sensible move but if we had too many i’d worry. 

Wouldn’t be surprised to see someone like borja come here on loan if we’re still struggling to find a striker 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

You can still buy players you have loaned without having an option in place at the start too. Negotiation would just happen next summer rather than now.

Yes, but no option/obligation means there is a danger other clubs can get involved and nab the player from under your nose.

It's desperate stuff isn't it. Sort of player we should've bought a few years ago on the cheap when we were in a position to and now we're signing him for our first side because a team we were miles ahead of haven't had a great start with him. It isn't to say there's no chance he can be good for us but it's a signing that really hammers home how badly we've fallen and how quickly.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

I don't think your arguments work even with this not so subtle switch to this being about the long term.

Dealing with the spectrum of outcomes;

• Outcome 1 - shelling out for an option to buy would have been a mistake. Especially shelling out silly money (which you suggested). 
    • Outcome 1b - injured for a big chunk of the season. Ditto
  • Outcome 2 - If we're just keeping an eye on him, by defnition we're not buying. So, again, we've wasted (silly) money on an option to buy.
  • Outcome 3 - I'll give up now trying to explain to you why if he did indeed help keep us in the league, "I don't see any point in taking youth on loan" seems like a (performatively?) dense take.
    • The 'point' in taking this particular youth on loan will have been 'keeping us in the league'. Quite a big point, that
    • If you want to talk in terms of long term gains, I'd say staying in the PL next year would be a dial shifter.

Not sure what you mean by "not so subtle switch to the long term". It's always been about the long term. It's the sole reason for buying a young footballer like Buonanotte.

What do you mean shelling out for an option to buy? It would be free. An option we either take or don't take.

I don't understand why you think it's reasonable for us to take this punt on a teenager for a year in a position we need to get right with absolutely no long term benefit.

If you think we should be signing players exclusively for this season then there is a longer list of players I'd be looking at first who have already proven that they have what it takes to make a difference at a Premier League level. Players that won't get a look in at their club but would do an almost guaranteed job for us. Someone like Emi Buendia for instance. Won't start for Villa but would probably instantly be our best midfielder.

Buonanotte is a needless punt on a player that is untested and unproven. I could stomach it if we were getting something long term from it but we're likely not going to.

Edited by AKCJ

What seems odd is, if Brighton are looking to snap up MOR from Celtic, Dodgers allegedly wanted this lad on loan.  So why let him come to us instead?  I suppose they figure one season of pub Football is unlikely to improve their player:dunno:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

What seems odd is, if Brighton are looking to snap up MOR from Celtic, Dodgers allegedly wanted this lad on loan.  So why let him come to us instead?  I suppose they figure one season of pub Football is unlikely to improve their player:dunno:

You’ve answered your own question.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

I know we're not confident of ourselves next season but calling us a pub team seems a bit harsh.

• Haha 2

I like that the IP has said we are still hunting 3/4 more players on tip of this because I think that's about right. 

This.

LB.

Winger.

CM.

Striker.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Is this a comparable signing to Casaedi? Or is this lad further down the track in his development/ability?

Played quite a few more games at the top level and played for Argentina.

Edited by teblin

He's talented but still quite raw, which is understandable given his age. Without a buy option, though, this deal seems unfavorable. We're essentially developing Brighton's talent for them while also freeing up a spot in their squad.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FoxTimmy2 said:

He's talented but still quite raw, which is understandable given his age. Without a buy option, though, this deal seems unfavorable. We're essentially developing Brighton's talent for them while also freeing up a spot in their squad.

We would only be developing their players if he plays well and contributes to some wins. we benefit plenty from sending younger players out on loan. Besides, we need to do whatever it takes to stay up. If this is one thing we need to do, in all for it!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Gravel said:

I know we're not confident of ourselves next season but calling us a pub team seems a bit harsh.

Very good Jock!

We need to contact Anderson Perry to set up a South American scouting network.  Brighton have been very successful in that part of the World as have many Italian and La Liga Clubs.  Seems a better option than the help the aged approach.

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Yes, but no option/obligation means there is a danger other clubs can get involved and nab the player from under your nose.

That could happen with an option too. Obligation or purchasing now the only way to stop that. They aren't thrown into the loan deal as a bit of charity from Brighton either.

2 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I might be hugely in the minority, but I would actually prefer braybrooke, nelson and alves spent the season out on loan.

We are likely to have a rough season and that might not be ideal for their development. My main concern is that if they do show what they are capable of, they would just be poached in the summer. We’d be better off getting them prepped for next season where we’ve either blagged survival or we build a championship team around them. 

Completely agree. They have very little league experience yet people want to chuck them in at the deep end in a season that's very likely going to be a relegation scrap. Seems like madness to me, better that they go out on loan and prove themselves at Championship level and then we can reassess in the New Year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's desperate stuff isn't it. Sort of player we should've bought a few years ago on the cheap when we were in a position to and now we're signing him for our first side because a team we were miles ahead of haven't had a great start with him. It isn't to say there's no chance he can be good for us but it's a signing that really hammers home how badly we've fallen and how quickly.

Why is it desperate? Why do people just assume it’s desperation when a signing comes out of nowhere….. he’s a talented player, Brighton probably wanted him to put on loan, we’ve caught wind and know that he’s a good prospect, and financially it makes sense. Just because it’s Brighton doesn’t mean it’s “desperate”….. if he played for Man City we would be foaming at the mouth.

4 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Why is it desperate? Why do people just assume it’s desperation when a signing comes out of nowhere….. he’s a talented player, Brighton probably wanted him to put on loan, we’ve caught wind and know that he’s a good prospect, and financially it makes sense. Just because it’s Brighton doesn’t mean it’s “desperate”….. if he played for Man City we would be foaming at the mouth.

But, he doesn’t play for Man City. 

I think people’s frustrations are that 3 years ago we were being touted for regular European football and top half finishes and we are now loaning players from Brighton (who are slowly regressing from the heights they hit and personally I think they’ll continue to do so) a club that we were absolutely fuming were interested in signing one of our best players, as many thought it would’ve been a sideways step. 

Don’t get me wrong, you make some valid points of course. 

Edited by Bert
  • Like 1

We have to look a little short term here.

Can this guy go straight into the starting 11 and improve us?  Yes he can.

Anything after that is moot at this point.  Priority 1 is giving us the best chance of staying up.

• Like 4