Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FrankieADZ

Buonanotte - joined on loan.

Brighton aren't fools. They're hoovering up talent. They'll want to give the player the best chance of being ready for their first team or at the very least capable of making them some decent profit after the loan has ended.

Agreeing an option or obligation now is based on what both clubs would agree his valuation is now, which is uncertain.

It's entirely probable that they still really like him and just want him to get more minutes so he can slot in when some of their more experienced players leave.

• Like 2

3 options.

1. We get relegated and would have zero chance of a permanent signing anyway.

2. We stay up, but he's crap and we don't want him permanently

3. We stay up, he's great and goes back to Brighton. We might be able to afford him, but they'd be unlikely to want to sell.

Ultimately, he's Brighton's player so they will expect the better end of the deal if they have any faith in him coming good. The exact same as we'd be if/when Alves/Braybrooke/Nelson go on loan - we'd be fuming if there was an option/obligation attached to the deal. If we stay up then he's done his job and we'll be in a financially better position to afford a replacement, and having a player on loan for a year is essentially a year of zero amortised cost on our rolling PSR total, so about £5-10m 'saving' on the books compared to signing a player like Soule. Honestly, its not all that different to signing Kante, having a great season, and then selling him 12 months later when a bigger club comes knocking - we'll still get 12 months of benefit either way. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Ryy said:

We can’t afford it. Especially if we get relegated 

Depends how much they'd be willing to sell him for. We bid upwards of £20m + add ons for Soule.

I actually don't really want us paying loads for individual players anyway, would rather our scouts and recruitment team go and find these players at source. Brighton paid just £5m for Bouonanotte, we seem averse to doing so when we're in the Prem.

I imagine putting the option in causes a shitload of hassle and negotiation that could in the end, scupper the deal.

No option doesn't mean that we couldn't buy him if the player wanted to come here at the end of the loan and we wanted to sign him.  Just means there's nothing formal now to put that into place.

On reflection, this seems to be an occasion where the club have done the right thing in terms of a player negotiation.  If by some miracle we stay in the league, not only will we be financially more stable, we may be more attractive to other targets and not necessarily want to sign this guy permanently.  If we do and Brighton want £35m instead of £20m, the fact we'd stayed up, that difference is made up tenfold so it's not too big of a deal.

This is decent business.   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Xen said:

3 options.

1. We get relegated and would have zero chance of a permanent signing anyway.

2. We stay up, but he's crap and we don't want him permanently

3. We stay up, he's great and goes back to Brighton. We might be able to afford him, but they'd be unlikely to want to sell.

Ultimately, he's Brighton's player so they will expect the better end of the deal if they have any faith in him coming good. The exact same as we'd be if/when Alves/Braybrooke/Nelson go on loan - we'd be fuming if there was an option/obligation attached to the deal. If we stay up then he's done his job and we'll be in a financially better position to afford a replacement, and having a player on loan for a year is essentially a year of zero amortised cost on our rolling PSR total, so about £5-10m 'saving' on the books compared to signing a player like Soule. Honestly, its not all that different to signing Kante, having a great season, and then selling him 12 months later when a bigger club comes knocking - we'll still get 12 months of benefit either way. 

I was just thinking of the Kante comparison too

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Depends how much they'd be willing to sell him for. We bid upwards of £20m + add ons for Soule.

I actually don't really want us paying loads for individual players anyway, would rather our scouts and recruitment team go and find these players at source. Brighton paid just £5m for Bouonanotte, we seem averse to doing so when we're in the Prem.

It’ll happen one day pal

45 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

The obligation to buy deals can be extremely beneficial... IF we get the conditions right. Look at last season- we were locked in for Fatawu at what now appears to be a bargain, with Yunus not quite up to it despite us getting a good look at him. 

We've not got any sort of financial muscle compared to most clubs in the league currently, so we've got to be savvy (unfortunately on this occasion, Brighton are far more competent than we are).

Obligations are a risk. The Fatawu deal less so as, if reported correctly, the obligation was reliant on promotion. The club don't want to be saddled with a player that isn't going to make the grade. 

This season is all about survival. If this player helps us to achieve that then the one season loan will have been worthwhile even if we don't sign him up on a permanent contract thereafter. 

Fortunately we didn't have an obligation to buy with Casadei.

• Like 1

Wonder if we will see him in action tomorrow?

This video is well worth a watch. If you look at the positions he takes up in this video, as well as his skills, I think he'd be a great attacking 8 in the Enzo style system. He's also left footed! Now so far we haven't played that way, we've used two 10's and an attacking fullback instead. But maybe it will change back over? I think I am just projecting my own preferences, but it's still possible!

If we do keep to the two 10's, I think this guy has the skillset to make things happen, though he needs to up his end product for sure.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

This video is well worth a watch. If you look at the positions he takes up in this video, as well as his skills, I think he'd be a great attacking 8 in the Enzo style system. He's also left footed! Now so far we haven't played that way, we've used two 10's and an attacking fullback instead. But maybe it will change back over? I think I am just projecting my own preferences, but it's still possible!

If we do keep to the two 10's, I think this guy has the skillset to make things happen, though he needs to up his end product for sure.

Don't suppose you've got the same video but with appalling music over it instead please?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, JeffreyDiddum said:

Brighton & Hove Albion season ticket holder here - hi! First post in about 3-4 years I think, but wanted to give my opinion on Facundo after seeing a few posts asking for a Brighton perspective.

First of all, and this can’t be overstated, but he’s 19 years old. Despite this, he has played over 50 times for us and has a couple of Argentina caps. So while he is “one of the future”, he is not a rookie fresh from our PL2 set up. He is a break-through season away from being a very desirable asset. Obviously all parties are hoping it happens with you, this season.

Before Southampton and finally yourselves were linked, a deal looked all but done with Feyenoord for a loan with option to buy. Fans, including myself, were *not* happy about this as we pretty much all agree the lad has huge potential and couldn’t understand why we’d agree to sell such a prospect short of receiving a very large fee. We are far happier with a loan for the player to get further experience, and plenty more first team PL minutes. 

I’ve seen a few comments poo-pooing the idea of loaning a player from a perceived “lesser” club, which I feel I must address. In order to do that, I must talk a little about the player, his attributes and his role in the squad.

He is considerably physically stronger than when he joined as a 17 year old, and is surprisingly dogged and robust in the tackle. He is a reasonably short player at 5’9, but isn’t lightning fast. I’d describe his pace as moderate by PL standards - he won’t skin anyone. He is however in the Messi mould (in style, if not ability!) and has excellent close control and dribbling skills. He is not afraid to take on long shots and has scored a couple of cracking goals for us. 

He did have a tendency to sometimes over play in our system under De Zerbi, and would regularly dribble into dead ends before chipping an ineffective cross, or losing possession. However, he is still learning and sometimes would be the player to at least try creative things - often unsuccessfully - to unlock a defence.

He plays primarily as a right winger for us, and has filled in at right wing back. He can also play left wing and at number ten. He is not a pacy, traditional winger and is more of an inside forward. He consistently cuts in from the right wing onto his preferred left foot, crossing to the far post and attempting shots from range. Think a wide David Silva in style, constantly coming into the middle and not holding width.

He has a very impressive workrate, and runs his socks off in the press and tracking back. As mentioned, he’s surprisingly good in the tackle and works hard not to be luxury player. He will serve you well with workrate and team ethic.

After a strong summer of recruitment though, he would find his minutes limited here hence the move. Ahead of him are Minteh, March, Cozier-Duberry and Adingra (RW) and Mitoma, Adingra, and Cozier-Duberry (LW), and our new system doesn’t really feature a “ten” based on pre-season so far, so I think he would struggle to feature for us. This is more a reflection of a very positive summer of recruitment than anything else. 

If you have any questions please ask away, otherwise I wish you - and Facundo - good luck for the season.

Summarising your post I read the words ‘Messi’ and ‘David Silva’. Gerrimin

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

He looks great tbf but majority of that video he is playing out wide. We have no time and no room for messing about this season and we still need a proper ready to go attacking and creative CM and he is no KDH replacement and with a week to go until the season its a tragedy that we havent purchased anyone.

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JeffreyDiddum said:

Brighton & Hove Albion season ticket holder here - hi! First post in about 3-4 years I think, but wanted to give my opinion on Facundo after seeing a few posts asking for a Brighton perspective.

First of all, and this can’t be overstated, but he’s 19 years old. Despite this, he has played over 50 times for us and has a couple of Argentina caps. So while he is “one of the future”, he is not a rookie fresh from our PL2 set up. He is a break-through season away from being a very desirable asset. Obviously all parties are hoping it happens with you, this season.

Before Southampton and finally yourselves were linked, a deal looked all but done with Feyenoord for a loan with option to buy. Fans, including myself, were *not* happy about this as we pretty much all agree the lad has huge potential and couldn’t understand why we’d agree to sell such a prospect short of receiving a very large fee. We are far happier with a loan for the player to get further experience, and plenty more first team PL minutes. 

I’ve seen a few comments poo-pooing the idea of loaning a player from a perceived “lesser” club, which I feel I must address. In order to do that, I must talk a little about the player, his attributes and his role in the squad.

He is considerably physically stronger than when he joined as a 17 year old, and is surprisingly dogged and robust in the tackle. He is a reasonably short player at 5’9, but isn’t lightning fast. I’d describe his pace as moderate by PL standards - he won’t skin anyone. He is however in the Messi mould (in style, if not ability!) and has excellent close control and dribbling skills. He is not afraid to take on long shots and has scored a couple of cracking goals for us. 

He did have a tendency to sometimes over play in our system under De Zerbi, and would regularly dribble into dead ends before chipping an ineffective cross, or losing possession. However, he is still learning and sometimes would be the player to at least try creative things - often unsuccessfully - to unlock a defence.

He plays primarily as a right winger for us, and has filled in at right wing back. He can also play left wing and at number ten. He is not a pacy, traditional winger and is more of an inside forward. He consistently cuts in from the right wing onto his preferred left foot, crossing to the far post and attempting shots from range. Think a wide David Silva in style, constantly coming into the middle and not holding width.

He has a very impressive workrate, and runs his socks off in the press and tracking back. As mentioned, he’s surprisingly good in the tackle and works hard not to be luxury player. He will serve you well with workrate and team ethic.

After a strong summer of recruitment though, he would find his minutes limited here hence the move. Ahead of him are Minteh, March, Cozier-Duberry and Adingra (RW) and Mitoma, Adingra, and Cozier-Duberry (LW), and our new system doesn’t really feature a “ten” based on pre-season so far, so I think he would struggle to feature for us. This is more a reflection of a very positive summer of recruitment than anything else. 

If you have any questions please ask away, otherwise I wish you - and Facundo - good luck for the season.

Personally don't see Brighton as a lesser club. 

You've taken the Leicester model of a few years ago and continue to be successful with it - replacing star assets and having a fantastic scouting network. 

Unfortunately for us, LCFC seems very broken at present with little strategy, a recruitment and financial plan that seems very unclear, and seemingly little actual football knowledge at the top of the hierarchy. We could learn a lot from Brighton 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, les-tah said:

He looks great tbf but majority of that video he is playing out wide. We have no time and no room for messing about this season and we still need a proper ready to go attacking and creative CM and he is no KDH replacement and with a week to go until the season its a tragedy that we havent purchased anyone.

Yep I think most of the forum shares those concerns. Hard to believe that the second best CAM in the Championship, who was left footed and the same age as KDH in Gabriel Sara was not signed for a reasonable 20M euro by Galatasaray.

The club said they were working on Buonanotte for several weeks, so I can only hope they are going to bag someone for the CAM position. Chelsea still have a squad of about 100 players so could see one of their many midfielders ending up here. Hopefully it's someone a bit better than Casadei!

23 minutes ago, JeffreyDiddum said:

Great analysis, don’t know where the lesser club thing came from your miles ahead of us now