Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FrankieADZ

Buonanotte - joined on loan.

Just now, CosbehFox said:

A more than valid view but it doesn't really explain why we supposedly signed Golding for £5m. 

PSR trade off with Chelsea. They got us out the shit with KDH sale but we needed to help them out with £5m profit to balance out the amortisation for this seasons books for them. 

1 minute ago, CosbehFox said:

A more than valid view but it doesn't really explain why we supposedly signed Golding for £5m. 

That was more massaging the books with the KDH deal was it not?

1 minute ago, CosbehFox said:

A sweetner for Chelsea to do the deal by the time we needed it done no doubt. 

5 minutes ago, Micky said:

Developing Brighton's players.... Blah, blah, blah....

Have people forgotten that we were in the championship last season. 

If this comes as a shock you've been living with your head in the sand. This is where we are at and this season is all about survival. 

To add, we have money to spend but we are not going to risk blowing loads and being penalised again. 

I don’t disagree.

if the clubs strategy is to bring in young developing players who withstanding a miracle will be championship ready in a year, that’s fine, sad but fine.

This doesn’t seem to have a strategy behind it. It’s more that than me thinking we are better than we are.

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

PSR trade off with Chelsea. They got us out the shit with KDH sale but we needed to help them out with £5m profit to balance out the amortisation for this seasons books for them. 

And in the process used some of our transfer kitty. 

I am playing largely devil's advocate here but I think the signing of Buonanotte is solid. Just think there's a way we can do it where we are more innovative and clever. 

Edited by CosbehFox

28 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I go to a lot of Brighton matches. Another year to wait and then I'll have a season ticket. Distance from Leicester and life commitments means I can't get to many of our games. 

He's a moments player and lacks consistency throughout games. In that way, he's similar to Mavididi in that he's either a 5/10 or a 9/10. Very tidy on the ball, movement is great and doesn't shirk tackles. At his current level of progress he'd deliver 4 goals a year, all amazing. But he has the talent and skills to develop in this area - he's lacked a consistent, long run in the team so a season with us will help him (and Brighton). I think Brighton will be extremely pleased with the deal especially seeing as there's no option to buy. However, there have been a few cases in recent years where their players have gone out on loan and kicked off when they had to return to the club, so there is a possibility we could retain him if it goes well. 

Appreciate the input, cheers 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

We could just go to the source direct? 

Ie. Pick a player direct from South America - Buonanotte's initial fee was just £5.3million supposedly. 

Low wages, small fee, develop at our benefit 

Absolutely  - but comparing our DoF/Recruitment strategy with Brighton's is a no contest. The best run EPL Team against the 2nd worst run Club??

Just now, pmcla26 said:

We might have asked and they either said no or silly money, we don't know. 

Even if it's silly money, it's worth having the option. It's football. Stranger things have happened than him coming here and being our top scorer and best player.

With no buy option we have all of the risk but have no real option of getting the reward. It's a great deal for Brighton.

54 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We were really lacking staid midfield options so he'll complement Winks, Ndidi, Soumare and Choudhury excellently 

Screenshot2024-08-08at09_21_02.thumb.png.c3a92aed0bb48f3961769f2efb33e0d3.png

To countenance the above, I think he's probably more of a central midfielder than AM/winger. So his profile at Rosario probably a bit more like his true potential (caveated by it being a weaker league and the percentiles are only calculated from Argentina so it's easier to be higher compared to the 'Next 7' leagues FBref uses).

However the 4 goals and 2 assists in 23 PL starts aren't the sort of numbers that'll keep us up.

Screenshot2024-08-08at10_16_44.thumb.png.fd870a1afd30b5327a2f482d8f28c4a6.png

5 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

It's a low risk move. Something Brighton, Forest and Palace have all done pretty well at. The latter two staying up in the process fielding these players. 

So all of those players are established, high performing premier league players now? 

6 minutes ago, les-tah said:

At this point in time does this guy go into the starting 11 as our attacking CM? I have no idea if hes good or not

He plays more on the right for Brighton but can play in the centre

18 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

2 years ago the idea of loaning a young relatively inexperienced player from Brighton with no option to buy and effectively develop him for them would be crazy

What a fall off

Big fall. 

But time to be positive. And be on the up! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Financial doping. 

We paid Chelsea £4m for Goulding so that they could increase their offer for KDH to a level that let us avoid a second points deduction without them also being non compliant. 

Goulding is an accounting trick, I'll personally be surprised if he ever plays for us. 

Last season we used 5 attacking midfielders

Dewsbury-Hall was great but had to be sold for FFP.

Ndidi did ok but is not an attacking midfielder.

Akgun worked hard but was too lightweight and has returned to Turkey.

Casadai was not good enough for the championship and recalled.

Praet was injured or poor when used and never wanted to be here and finally gone.

So this season that leaves us with

Golding never played a top flight match

Alves never played a top flight match

Buonanotte played 50 games for Brighton and played for Argentina

So ideally we could still do with 2 more experienced attacking midfielders before the start of the season.

9 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Last season we signed a lad on loan called Fatawu.

No we didn't. 

Last year we bought a player called Abdul Fatawu on the condition we got promoted and used the loan system to circumnavigate PSR regulations for the 23/24 season. 

(I don't disagree that this is a sensible deal btw but I think Fatawu doesn't prove your point, if anything he hurts your argument because he was exactly what people want this deal to be.)

Edited by Finnegan

14 minutes ago, davieG said:

I accept the injury but not his age or experience as an excuse when you look at Buonanotte's age and experience he must have been playing in the Argentine top league at 17ish and there are plenty of example of younger players being given much better opportunities than Alves and even Braybrooke who seems to be the only cover we have for Winks.

This leads fans to think either we don't want to develop him further and hope he leaves for a few £s to help the budget or they don't think he's good enough. He's not even getting a decent run out in the pre-season games to see if he's ready. Braybrooke is nowhere to be seen.

That's not even going into the crazy idea of developing competition players. I guess the Liverpool lad will be the next transfer in. I think loans between clubs at the same level should be banned.

Why is it so black and white with people on here? We need bodies in the squad, we need options - it's a long, long season. Alves has played about 30 mins of senior football - ever! Is it fair on him to just throw him into top flight football, ahead of one of the club's most challenging seasons in recent years, with no other real options in his position, and go 'here you go mate, crack on'? 

The most likely scenario seems to be one where Buonanotte comes in, and Alves is used in rotation with him over the course of the season - why does Buonanotte coming in mean Alves' development is halted, or that we suddenly think he'll never be good enough for senior football? It's mad. If anything, Alves should be encouraged that this is a loan and not a permanent signing - it gives him space to develop this season, and if he takes it - there's a role open and waiting for him at the end of the season.

Cole Palmer is an absolute phenom - he played almost 20 games for Man City before moving to Chelsea and did nothing - even when he went to Chelsea it took him 4-5 games to get up to speed - and this is likely a player with a much higher ceiling than Alves. Can we afford to gives Will Alves that kind of time, with no other options in that position in the squad?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Buonanotte is a 19year old attacking midfielder/winger.

Will Alves is a 19 year old attacking midfield/winger

Sure Buonanotte has more experience but how is Alves going to get his if we keep putting obstacles in his way?

Have I misunderstood their relative situations?

I think, in all honesty, Buonanotte is a better player and with more first team experience. Hopefully I'm wrong.