Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Wilf Zaha - loaned to Lyon

45 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

They signed him on a contract til 2026 and paid him ridiculous wages to go there. 

Nobody is going to buy him now and pay a 31 year old those wages or want to give him a 3, 4, 5 year contract. 

He's still probably in the back end of his prime and in fairly good shape but he's not getting another elite contract without going to be a marquee signing in a pub league like America.

If he wants to play in an elite league he either takes a loan or accepts a significant wage cut. 

Most settled clubs in better shape than us aren't looking to loan a 31 year old winger they've no interest in keeping long term or developing. But we're very specifically in a situation where we need to cover a lot of positions all at once. 

I'd say we're the perfect club for it to be a good deal for everyone involved. 

This is pretty spot on.

I don’t think this is good value at all, and I’d have rather us bought a few of ric flairs cheap tips in all honest. But, and I mentioned this rationale when talking about szmodics. The key question is, do we have a better chance of staying up with zaha in the side?

And that gets the easiest yes from me.

I think he’s good for the squad too and can be one of our leaders - him and vards will probably hit it off which is positive, that was one of my reasons for wanting szmodics too. Someone who can help get the best out of one of our best players. I think the young lads love him too, I think he will be good for the likes of Fatawu, Golding, alves etc.

Providing we’ve not spent all our budget and can bring a few more in, this is a good move.

• Like 1

He was exceptional  at times years ago.

Well past his best and would be another worrying signing but not surprising with our club atm.

2 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

A 31 year old Zaha becomes the best player on our books without question. He's good enough to win games on his own and we don't have any other player I put in that bracket currently. I can't even believe I'm seeing people in the "no", "past his best" camp to be honest. 

On that basis, even on loan, it is a resounding yes and he genuinely could keep us in the PL. Out of all the wingers linked, he's the one, you go all out for someone like Zaha. If Zaha signs, I genuinely believe we can stay up, if he doesn't I don't think we can. It is THAT important to get this done if we can. 

7 goals 2 assists in his last season with Palace,  it’s a season later and he is on loan it could go either way how he fits in, likes the manager etc 

Palace fans on Reddit didn’t seem bothered when linked apart for sentimental reasons and seem to feel like they have moved on. 
Ayew had more goal involvements last season (11) and that went down like a lead balloon 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

A 31 year old Zaha becomes the best player on our books without question. He's good enough to win games on his own and we don't have any other player I put in that bracket currently. I can't even believe I'm seeing people in the "no", "past his best" camp to be honest. 

On that basis, even on loan, it is a resounding yes and he genuinely could keep us in the PL. Out of all the wingers linked, he's the one, you go all out for someone like Zaha. If Zaha signs, I genuinely believe we can stay up, if he doesn't I don't think we can. It is THAT important to get this done if we can. 

I’m with you on this one. Word for word. 

He’s a master of the dark arts, which is exactly what we need. He bites, he moans, he showboats, he winds up the opposition and the opposing crows. Hes the perfect pantomime villain and the type of player you want playing for you rather than against you. 

He’s the type of guy to keep us up with a 99th minute of shithousery at the city ground to send the broccoli down and keep us up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

He's not the same player that was destroying us every time we faced him. There's a reason his team are sending him out on loan after a year, he's on the decline.

It's like if another team signed Ndidi and were expecting to sign one of the best midfielders in the PL, he's not that player anymore.

Just now, honeybradger said:

He's not the same player that was destroying us every time we faced him. There's a reason his team are sending him out on loan after a year, he's on the decline.

It's like if another team signed Ndidi and were expecting to sign one of the best midfielders in the PL, he's not that player anymore.

He’s fallen out with the club, that’s why he’s going. 

Zaha is an athlete, he is in great shape physically and won’t have lost his attributes at 31 he is exiting his prime yes but he isn’t past it. 

He had bags of experience, he has quality, he’s a master of shithousery and he’s probably still hungry to succeed after a pretty lame spell abroad.

Don’t be fooled by his time in Turkey, he’s still a class player, and he is a perfect fit for us at this moment in time.

• Like 2

The positivity on here about Zaha seems to stem from some older or idealised impression of him as a player. There is no doubt that some of these plaudits were absolutely warranted, but now? Obviously hope so if he signs.

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Even on the decline, is he still our best player if he signs? It's still a yes for me.

19 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

That's not particularly been demonstrated though.  He scored 9 goals in 30 games from the wing.  He's scored or assisted in very nearly all his starts.  But he did drop out of favour and out of the starting 11, which seems odd as he was putting the numbers up when he was starting.  If you look at his record it's actually very good.  I suspect that he's had a falling out with the manager or something along those lines or had a strop about being benched, as he's done very little off the bench, scoring once from 17 sub apps.

Edited by JimJams
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Clever Fox said:

I don't believe we need him as Mav has never let us down. Assuming he does come here though, What happens to Mav,  Does he move inside and take KDHs position. 

Can't rely on just Mav all season though, he had periods last season where he kind of disappeared in games and it wouldn't have helped that he had no one applying pressure on him to take his spot

Mav and Zaha for the season is brilliant depth

2 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I don't believe we need him as Mav has never let us down. Assuming he does come here though, What happens to Mav,  Does he move inside and take KDHs position. 

We do need someone like him. We need some experience. Even if it is for a year the likes of Mavadidi and Fatawu will learn from him. He will play a multitude of positions I imagine initially he may even be a 9. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Can't rely on just Mav all season though, he had periods last season where he kind of disappeared in games and it wouldn't have helped that he had no one applying pressure on him to take his spot

Mav and Zaha for the season is brilliant depth

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

We do need someone like him. We need some experience. Even if it is for a year the likes of Mavadidi and Fatawu will learn from him. He will play a multitude of positions I imagine initially he may even be a 9. 

Both very true, We definitely need experience in the Squad. Has he ever played as a 9.

I've heard he's a moody type of individual, I just hope Cooper can get him onboard like Roy did at Palace.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clever Fox said:

Both very true, We definitely need experience in the Squad. Has he ever played as a 9.

I've heard he's a moody type of individual, I just hope Cooper can get him onboard like Roy did at Palace.

Yeah and has also played quite a lot on the right wing, so could be first choice back up to replace Fatawu (rather than BDR)

image.png.9f7a9cfc849e63d809bffa4b29beed46.png

6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Yeah and has also played quite a lot on the right wing, so could be first choice back up to replace Fatawu (rather than BDR)

image.png.9f7a9cfc849e63d809bffa4b29beed46.png

I didn't know that. I thought he always played on the Left Wing. Or else I'm losing it.