Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Wilf Zaha - loaned to Lyon

Undoubtedly a really good player - hopefully the price is right. I do worry he’s never really done it in England apart from at Palace and having him up top is yet another move away from last season’s successful tactics of pressing quickly to recover the ball fast and creating chances (although we’ve not seen any of that preseason anyway!). 

1 minute ago, joachim1965 said:

I get that , but if he is the difference between safety and relegation it will be money well spent .

Not saying he will be but who knows.

Yeah and if he scores the goals to keep us up then we'll happily wave him off next summer.

But these are risks we've been taking for years now and IMO they're exactly why we're in this mess. Feels like a gambler chasing the jackpot.

At some point we'll have to call it a day.

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I don't hate him lol

I just don't think he's worth blowing £9m on for one season. I think our precious budget is better spent elsewhere and with a better eye on the long term given the shit we're in!

tbf i see both sides of the coin with the zaha transfers

as stated already, his attitude is kinda subjective, do remember him have a right mardy on a few years back when he played us and shit wasnt going his way

he'll certainly add something to the squad as a whole though with his experience

while 9mil is alot, it might be worth the risk

16 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If you spend £10m fee on a player with wages it's more like £18m, and you are committed to paying that no matter what for 4 to 5 years. 

I know Rudkin is bad at his job but 8m a year is 150k per week. even he couldn't mess up and put someone like Philogene on that

10 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I don't hate him lol

I just don't think he's worth blowing £9m on for one season. I think our precious budget is better spent elsewhere and with a better eye on the long term given the shit we're in!

Yes, not 3 days ago, you said...

"If we need shorter term loans then we should aim for underutilised players that have proven their worth at this level"

Just now, Scotch said:

Yes, not 3 days ago, you said...

"If we need shorter term loans then we should aim for underutilised players that have proven their worth at this level"

Yeah, but not when they cost £9m and have a bad history of throwing a wobbly when things don't go their way!

Time to bring the nerdy stats out. Of all players to play over 1,000 minutes in the last five seasons that Zaha was in the Premier League, Zaha ranked for the following...

22/23 - 6.28 Successful Attacking Actions per90(Ranked 5th) 

21/22 - 7.26 Successful Attacking Actions per90(Ranked 3rd)

20/21 - 5.29 Successful Attacking Actions per90(Ranked 12th) 

19/20 - 6.86 Successful Attacking Actions per90(Ranked 4th)

18/19 - 9.39 Successful Attacking Actions per90(Ranked 2nd) 

Will he frustrate - Yes

Will he run into blind alleys - Yes

But Zaha will also make things happen in the final third, which he has proven time and time again throughout his Premier League career. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Yeah and if he scores the goals to keep us up then we'll happily wave him off next summer.

But these are risks we've been taking for years now and IMO they're exactly why we're in this mess. Feels like a gambler chasing the jackpot.

At some point we'll have to call it a day.

Forgot blowing money, you along with the rest of us will be blowing our loads when he shit houses a win at the City ground to keep us up…….

• Haha 1

Feels like a risk but a reasonably well calculated one. I wouldn't want to see us lumbering ourselves long term with big wages for 30+ players but I'm happy with a one year loan if supplemented with some moves for under 25s with potential sell-on value elsewhere.

Have seen some concerns about his personality but that's one of the more appealing aspects of this move for me. We've had a soft underbelly for quite a few years now - even last season we seemed too nice. He can be an aggressive player at times - we need a bit of that fire.

Just now, AKCJ said:

Yeah, but not when they cost £9m and have a bad history of throwing a wobbly when things don't go their way!

The £9m this is a bit of a misdirect... Like someone else said, if it was £3m and we were covering his wages, it would be viewed very different yet, it's no different. 

As for his temperament, you have to cenceed something. Experienced players who improve our starting 11, are cheap and are model pro's aren't available for loan all that often. 

Just now, Scotch said:

The £9m this is a bit of a misdirect... Like someone else said, if it was £3m and we were covering his wages, it would be viewed very different yet, it's no different. 

How is it a misdirect to state the actual cost lol It's £9m whichever way you look at it!

10 minutes ago, Ryy said:

He’s already had his interview/photos 

Can believe this- someone else or maybe yourself also stated he was at Seagrave yesterday- I think this one is done and dusted

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

I don't think we should or will put all our hopes on Vardy. Sounds like a mixture of Hlozek, Vardy and Daka will be our strikers.

Totally agree.

For me, if we can rotate between Hlozek, Zaha and/or Iaonnidis in one or two of the main starting spots (Zaha rotating between wide and central positions) then having the option of Vardy as a super sub is such a great weapon.

Imagine one or two of the above three battering CBs and full-backs all game long and then Vardy coming on post Red Bull and energy gel to run in behind.

Could be so good. 

Edited by ALC Fox
  • Like 1

My wife just commented that she "doesn't like his eyes" which made me think this is probably the same kind of level of input Rudkin has on our transfer dealings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

How is it a misdirect to state the actual cost lol It's £9m whichever way you look at it!

Because it's not usually public knowledge how much a loan will cost in total. If anything, the fee might be released but when was the last loan we had were you could tell me off the top of your head how much it cost us in total once wages were considered? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Totally agree.

For me, if we can rotate between Hlozek, Zaha and/or Iaonnidis in one or two of the main starting spots (Zaha rotating between wide and central positions) then having the option of Vardy as a super sub is such a great weapon.

Imagine one or two of the above three battering CBs and full-backs all game long and then Vardy coming on post Red Bull and energy gel to run in behind.

Could be so good. 

I think we'd be better placed with more of a 4-4-2 given we don't have any attacking midfielders, do have some genuinely hard working wingers (BDCR, Fatawu, Buonanotte) and have players that can either play as a 9 or second striker (Vardy, Daka, Mavididi, Hlozek, Zaha).

Win win - 10m gets you little these days. If he helps us stay up great, if he doesn’t we arnt stuck with a high earner like we have been before. We all know what he’s capable of and could be a difference maker. 

• Like 1