Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Wilf Zaha - loaned to Lyon

57 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Fossehub only quote sources - they make absolutely nothing up themselves.

It’s also interesting that they’ve implemented a ‘reliability scale’ with Tiers very similar to the one on here; so chances are the operator(s) of that account frequent here too! 

Tbf a source tier list is something a lot of football social media does. It's not an original idea. FosseHub might have had theirs before us, the LCFC subreddit has had one a while. 

It wouldn't surprise me if FosseHub is one of you lot though tbf. 

• Like 1

so is it fair to say, we’ve gone for zaha, hit a snag and taken up ayew as the fall back?  Seems like there must have been other options but given that both these deals probably cost the same, that’s exactly what we’ve done 

32 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Tbf a source tier list is something a lot of football social media does. It's not an original idea. FosseHub might have had theirs before us, the LCFC subreddit has had one a while. 

You got me, It's all a double bluff! 

Anyway, before I get a knock at the door saying I am being sued myself for libel, would it be out the realms of possibility that a club could somehow pay the possible tax bill for them or compensate them for it to get the deal over the line? Everyone should pay their fair share as has been said, but we know how it works sadly. 

57 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Feel like he's a poster, someone got annoyed you hadn't put them as a common link sharer or some bollocks, after only sharing fossehub tweets 

6 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I find it very hard to believe “his side” would openly confess avoiding tax’s lollollol 

if it was avoidance it would be fine (not derailing this thread with arguments about the morality of tax avoidance). it's the evaded that's the issue although thats probably just a translation issue given outside of tax they mean the same thing 

34 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

You got me, It's all a double bluff! 

Anyway, before I get a knock at the door saying I am being sued myself for libel, would it be out the realms of possibility that a club could somehow pay the possible tax bill for them or compensate them for it to get the deal over the line? Everyone should pay their fair share as has been said, but we know how it works sadly. 

In theory, yes.

But if you’re ‘compensating’ for an increased tax bill - that’s actually creating more earnings for that person, so they’d have to compensate an amount in excess of the original tax liability.

Zaha is reportedly on anything between £4 million - £7 million a year; so if we say the additional tax liability is around 25% you’re potentially looking at an extra £1-2 million per year to cover it

However - what’s not completely clear is how many years of earnings a change of Zaha’s residency back to the UK might effect - it could effect his previous and future earnings.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, enmac said:

I'm no expert on taxes but I thought Gala were going to pay his wages.

As he would still be working for a Turkish business, wouldn't he pay Turkish taxes only?

Not if/when he’s working and resident in the UK.

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond

2 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Not when he’s working and resident in the UK.

If it's call about residency, maybe he could fly back to Turkey after every game and train with Gala in the week?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, enmac said:

If it's call about residency, maybe he could fly back to Turkey after every game and train with Gala in the week?

That would, in theory, limit him to only 30 games.

Plus, it’s not the sort of blatant tax fiddle you’d want to be attempting; that would get the club into trouble as well as Zaha.

Overseas tests

You’re usually non-resident if either:

• you spent fewer than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you have not been a UK resident for the 3 previous tax years)
  • you worked abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week), and spent fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MGLCFC said:

Offer him a £1m bonus if we stay up - that'll cover the loss in taxes. It would be worth it if he helps keeps us up and may make him give it his all whilst here.

£1 million bonus = additional taxable income payable at 45% - thus £550,000 net.

His tax liability on a return to the UK could be in anywhere between £1 - 5 million if it impacts past/future earnings as well.

2 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

£1 million bonus = additional taxable income payable at 45% - thus £550,000 net.

His tax liability on a return to the UK could be in anywhere between £1 - 5 million if it impacts past/future earnings as well.

It was just a throw away comment - I didn't intend it to be taken seriously (not easy to do this just using text)

4 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

On a serious note, won't it be that whenever he returns to the UK, whether it be this year with us or many years down the line?

6 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

It was just a throw away comment - I didn't intend it to be taken seriously (not easy to do this just using text)

But some people on here may be thinking the same - just pay the difference - not realising the difference could be a significant sum.

4 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

On a serious note, won't it be that whenever he returns to the UK, whether it be this year with us or many years down the line?

Tax and residency is complicated; it’s even more complicated if you’re paying yourself via dividends through a company. 

The main issue I can see is that residency status is worked out over the tax year - April to April.

To me that means if Zaha came to us, he’d be classed as a UK resident this tax year for certain AND possibly for the one after that too.

He has gone to turkey and he has been anchored by the tax saving.  He must understand that to make this saving he has to stay away from uk.  If he wants to come and play in uk he will have to give up his tax saving.  No way we should pay this.

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1