Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Wilf Zaha - loaned to Lyon

14 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Wondering if we now might decide to swallow our pride and move forward with this - which would be......kinda dumb, so quite possible

There's a right way, and wrong way and the Leicester way. 

But completely agree, but if they do pull it off, it gives us another goal scorer at least. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Wondering if we now might decide to swallow our pride and move forward with this - which would be......kinda dumb, so quite possible

Not sure how dumb it would be. We need some proven X factor, and a bit of swagger. If he's happy to come for a year, he's probably our best bet.

Edited by wardyfox86
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Not in Galatasaray’s squad this evening - they’re 1-1 with Konyaspor at halftime.

Yunus is on the bench.

One additional to this - Zaha has been named in Galatasaray’s Champions League squad for their playoff against Young Boys.

I do believe, however, amendments to the full squad can be made after the qualifying rounds.

Just now, wardyfox86 said:

Not sure how dumb it would be. We need so proven X factor, and a bit of swagger. If he's happy to come for a year, he's probably our best bet.

Expensive, it just gives me the concerns as it feels like a further example of financial irresponsibility again, but yes I see the reluctant sense in it

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Expensive, it just gives me the concerns as it feels like a further example of financial irresponsibility again, but yes I see the reluctant sense in it

I think you have to think about it as not a long term issue, but a short term fix, and right now we need the short term fix, but granted on the expenses side but less risk financially 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It's a desperate gamble, but we're in desperation territory. He's a known Premier League threat and may just change a few teams' approach towards games against us.

There's a whole list of players I'd rather sign, but they're all heading to Hoffenheim or Saints.

Edited by wardyfox86
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I would suggest what we’ve been linked with shows we’re trying to be financially responsible.

The suggested structure of this deal - and the loan to buy for Hlozek looked pretty good value if they’d come off (Zaha still might of course).

I get the frustration with what’s gone on (or hasn’t) so far - but if you choose to take the positives, the profile and position of the players we’ve missed out on seem solid and in areas of need.

Even with the Okoli deal - signing a central defender with both presence and pace makes sense when you consider our other central defenders.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I would suggest what we’ve been linked with shows we’re trying to be financially responsible.

The suggested structure of this deal - and the loan to buy for Hlozek looked pretty good value if they’d come off (Zaha still might of course).

I get the frustration with what’s gone on (or hasn’t) so far - but if you choose to take the positives, the profile and position of the players we’ve missed out on seem solid and in areas of need.

Even with the Okoli deal - signing a central defender with both presence and pace makes sense when you consider our other central defenders.

Its not this season's activity that causes concerns, I guess it is the historic wages issue we have continually inflicted upon ourselves that concern me, but yes, this is a loan, its one year and we should be able to manage or at least adapt accordingly.

I like Okoli, but it still felt a bit unnecessary with who else we have at the club, however he is a unit that is for sure and time will tell on this.

Absolute no now for me.

There's a limit to what we should spend on this type of deal, and the reason we're having to do this type of deal is because of past irresponsible spending.  It makes little sense to carry that on.  And given the figures touted now we could probably buy someone instead.

I mean, we won't. But we could.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JimJams said:

Absolute no now for me.

There's a limit to what we should spend on this type of deal, and the reason we're having to do this type of deal is because of past irresponsible spending.  It makes little sense to carry that on.  And given the figures touted now we could probably buy someone instead.

I mean, we won't. But we could.

I think this one will hold out until close to the end of the window - with Zaha having to make a choice on whether he wants to play regularly back in England or continue to accumulate in Turkey with less pitch time.

Hopefully by then we’ll have seen a positive result against Fulham (that’s the big game this month, the other two being relative free hits) and can be seen in a much more positive light.

I think the issue is simple. On leaving the UK where a large proportion of his tax bill was at the 45% rate, he would have been able to agree terms in Turkey at a top end 20% tax rate. It is likely he would have accepted a lower gross salary in Turkey than in the UK but take home net salary would have matched or exceeded his UK earnings at Palace. If he reverts to paying his taxes in the UK but at the lower gross Salary than he was previously earning, he will be substantially "worse off" . As he is reaching the latter stages of his career and contemplating a future where his likely income will reduce at some point, it is realistic to expect that he will want to earn as much as possible until that point in order to invest such that he can maintain a lifestyle that matches his current as closely as possible after his playing days are over. He has been quoted as wanting a loan with obligations to buy as that will also secure his short term future. This is something we cannot offer at a level he would require so does he take the risk for one season to put himself back in the shop window of the Prem with LCFC with the view to potentially secure a final lucrative contract with another PREM team and take a big hit on his earnings for one season. Can he afford to? Sounds mad to us but people often live just within their means

That's not specifically the issue. The issue is because he's not been out of the UK long enough the money he has already earned will be subject to UK tax. It's not simply a case of paying more tax on his earnings once he hits these shores, it's that he'll have to pay tax for his previous earnings.

• Like 1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/08/19/leicester-city-premier-league-ready-steve-cooper-summer/

An ambitious move to lure Wilfried Zaha back to the Premier League has also proved problematic, with the structure of the loan deal and potential tax implications. It is understood Zaha would have to pay in excess of £8 million from his own pocket for the move to proceed.