Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Facundo Buonanotte joins on loan - Official

I was convinced we needed to bring someone in to be starting ahead of him

Based on tonight he has certainly swayed me away from that!

(still need someone to provide some proper competition for him though)

• Like 3

Looked great. I still think we need another first team quality attacking midfielder in, but if Buonanotte can put in a shift like that for us semi-regularly this season, that puts a lot less pressure on us.

Cross posted from the old transfer thread; would love to know your thoughts now having seen him in the flesh tonight;

Brighton & Hove Albion season ticket holder here - hi! First post in about 3-4 years I think, but wanted to give my opinion on Facundo after seeing a few posts asking for a Brighton perspective.

First of all, and this can’t be overstated, but he’s 19 years old. Despite this, he has played over 50 times for us and has a couple of Argentina caps. So while he is “one of the future”, he is not a rookie fresh from our PL2 set up. He is a break-through season away from being a very desirable asset. Obviously all parties are hoping it happens with you, this season.

Before Southampton and finally yourselves were linked, a deal looked all but done with Feyenoord for a loan with option to buy. Fans, including myself, were *not* happy about this as we pretty much all agree the lad has huge potential and couldn’t understand why we’d agree to sell such a prospect short of receiving a very large fee. We are far happier with a loan for the player to get further experience, and plenty more first team PL minutes. 

I’ve seen a few comments poo-pooing the idea of loaning a player from a perceived “lesser” club, which I feel I must address. In order to do that, I must talk a little about the player, his attributes and his role in the squad.

He is considerably physically stronger than when he joined as a 17 year old, and is surprisingly dogged and robust in the tackle. He is a reasonably short player at 5’9, but isn’t lightning fast. I’d describe his pace as moderate by PL standards - he won’t skin anyone. He is however in the Messi mould (in style, if not ability!) and has excellent close control and dribbling skills. He is not afraid to take on long shots and has scored a couple of cracking goals for us. 

He did have a tendency to sometimes over play in our system under De Zerbi, and would regularly dribble into dead ends before chipping an ineffective cross, or losing possession. However, he is still learning and sometimes would be the player to at least try creative things - often unsuccessfully - to unlock a defence.

He plays primarily as a right winger for us, and has filled in at right wing back. He can also play left wing and at number ten. He is not a pacy, traditional winger and is more of an inside forward. He consistently cuts in from the right wing onto his preferred left foot, crossing to the far post and attempting shots from range. Think a wide David Silva in style, constantly coming into the middle and not holding width.

He has a very impressive workrate, and runs his socks off in the press and tracking back. As mentioned, he’s surprisingly good in the tackle and works hard not to be luxury player. He will serve you well with workrate and team ethic.

After a strong summer of recruitment though, he would find his minutes limited here hence the move. Ahead of him are Minteh, March, Cozier-Duberry and Adingra (RW) and Mitoma, Adingra, and Cozier-Duberry (LW), and our new system doesn’t really feature a “ten” based on pre-season so far, so I think he would struggle to feature for us. This is more a reflection of a very positive summer of recruitment than anything else. 

If you have any questions please ask away, otherwise I wish you - and Facundo - good luck for the season.

Edited by JeffreyDiddum
  • Like 2