Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Cooper - OUT

11 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

I don't think he's got the answers and is probably the wrong fit for us, but the reason I don't think he should go yet is because clubs who start on the chaotic merry-go-round of a new manager every few months always go down. Also, they always eventually employ Frank Lampard. 

Fun fact - Frank lampard's Everton stats - 12 wins in 44 games.

Coopers pl stats - 12 wins in 60 games.

Even Frank Lampard had better stats than Cooper.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

So you don't think he's right for us but you also don't want him to go yet? If you think we should stick with a manager who is the wrong fit, how do you see this playing out?

I suppose I think there's a chance he might find his groove, I guess? 

In terms of how this plays out, I think we'll most likely go down this season, but that is as much to do with the team we have (significantly worse than the team we had in 22/23) and the financial mismanagement which means we are still at risk of a points deduction. A really accomplished manager might make a difference, but really, they ain't queueing up to come here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

41 pages on this. Leicester Facebook posts and Instagram posts are all pretty much against cooper asking him to be sacked.

Surely... Surely someone at the club will have noticed and starting to get second thoughts.

One can only hope... 🙏 

spread the video and cross your fingers.

31 minutes ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

41 pages on this. Leicester Facebook posts and Instagram posts are all pretty much against cooper asking him to be sacked.

Surely... Surely someone at the club will have noticed and starting to get second thoughts.

One can only hope... 🙏 

Because people don’t shout when not up in arms - that’s why it’s called the silent majority….give him to the next break and then… 

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

One can only hope... 🙏 

41 pages in and yet no one aside from @StriderHiryu has tried to define his system.

1 hour ago, Lutterworth Fox said:

By which time it will be too late to accumulate the points necessary to avoid relegation. We're not winning any league games with this tvat in charge.

We're talking 5, 6, 7 more games. We're not even in the relegation zone at the moment. At this rate, given results so far, then if we wait that long we would still be in a very strong position if we deemed it necessary to make a change.

But clubs in our position now: newly promoted, out of form second half of last season, after a change of manager, loads of off-field uncertainty, with financial restrictions in place and yet still not in the drop zone - don't make changes after 5 or 6 games. And for very good reasons. Firstly, because things often improve from that point onwards. Secondly, because you'd be derided by any sensible pundit, and potential appointments of any calibre will listen to the noise. Thirdly, because everyone around the club would see that a situation which didn't apparently warrant panic had, as it turns out, provoked complete chaos.

This isn't a collapse of Sousa proportions, not by any measure, relative to prior achievements and expectations. It's a slightly disappointing start and nothing more. We went through this in 1982, 1995-6 and 2012-13 and our patience was rewarded. In 2010 and 2017, in wildly different circumstances (in the drop zone, as it happens, with teams that had in the first case recently pushed for promotion, and in the second recently been champions), we correctly moved early. The situations that we didn't respond to in 1987, 1990, 2001 and 2022 were completely incomparable.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Cooper isn't the man. But I'm no authority and, if I was, this wouldn't be the way you'd arrive at that sort of a conclusion.

If you're looking for historical comparisons, then I think that we're in danger of making history repeat itself to some degree, in bringing about an atmosphere where the negativity from the stands makes it harder for a manager to make things work. Megson was not a great manager, and I didn't want him either. His Forest connections didn't especially bother me, as they hadn't with O'Neill and wouldn't with Morgan, but I didn't like his conservative brand of football. Still, we basically hounded him out after six weeks, leading to him jumping at the first chance to leave, and instead went down under the immensely popular Holloway. Mandaric, for all his flaws, was probably right in saying that we'd never have gone down under Megson. He might have been unspectacular, but the chairman saw that he was starting to get to grips with the complex issues he'd just inherited. There's a serious danger now that our refusal to give any sort of patience or respect to another unspectacular, uninspiring ex-Forest man - who probably won't deliver on our long-term aspirations - might, nonetheless, once again nullify any hope of success.

He may well be the wrong guy, either long-term or short. But we don't need to overwhelm the place with such a sense of pessimism that it's impossible for anyone around the club to engender the faintest amount of positivity. Be patient, and there'll be a moment not too far down the line - long, long before the springtime firing of Rodgers which, as it turns out, was probably only a week or two too late to keep us up - when we'll either have smiles on our faces, or a perfectly sensible moment to make a reasoned decision.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say. But I think it's a tad unfair to make out like the team is some seasoned premier league bunch. Whilst many have played there, you only need to scrath the surface to find that suspect. JJ and Ricardo have had horrendous injuries and have never got back to what they were. Ndidi and Vardy aren't the players they were. Faes it's debatable he was good enough the first time around, also see Vesty. Winks had to go down a division to find someone to have him. Ayew and Reid are at the arse end of their careers. Daka failed to live up to expectations, Soumare and Kristienson flopped first time around, Thomas couldn't make it at worse teams than us, Coady wasn't wanted at Everton or Wolves and seemingly isn't fancied much here, and I can keep going through most of the others. 

There is experience sure but few of them are actually at their peak even if they've ever proved themselves at this level. So there are a lot of question marks over their ability. In fact so far I'd say Mav and Hermansen are the standouts this season and neither played at this level (Unless Mav made a couple of starts at Arsenal). 

You’ve made some good points. 

I would still suggest that with Yannick, Coady, Ricardo, Justin, Ndidi, Winks, Skipp and Vardy there’s reasonable experience there. I take on board what you say about quality, but Ndidi, Ricardo and Vardy have all played to a high level with us. Granted they’ve aged since then, but if it’s experience you want they’re the ones you lean on. 

With all that aside, my biggest concern is there appears to be no plan, someone described it perfectly earlier as it looks like Cooper sends 11 players out and leaves it for them to figure out what to do. I want to start this next point by saying forget about what league we were in for a moment, but the bulk of this squad were able to almost immediately transition into a completely different style of play when Maresca arrived, and from the off there was evidence of Enzo’s system. This to me proves these players can adapt under the right management…. I just fear that Cooper doesn’t really know what he is doing with them, it’s very much like Dean Smith when he took over, no real identity just hope that it will work out, and Cooper has had a pre season when Smith didn’t. 

There’s clearly some unrest, due to the media articles suggesting some of the players aren’t happy, there never any smoke without fire in football and I’m sure he’s annoyed some of the players already. 

You’re not wrong when you say he needs at least ten games to show what he can do, ordinarily I would agree, but I personally feel that the writing is on the wall with Cooper, his in game decisions and general idea is baffling, I just think he is a bad fit for the club, it’s not working and the longer we leave it the worse it’s going to get. 

I get the board won’t want to make hasty decisions, but I genuinely believe his time here is already over and there’s going to be no improvement under him it’s just going to be a painful ride until his gone, I just hope to god they don’t leave it too late again. 

I think people need to consider what their aspirations are for this season and what they genuinely think this squad of players can achieve. 

Whoever the gaffer is I think our ceiling is probably around 13th -14th with this set. We didn't even get many new players in until late in the window.

We are currently 15th with a -2 goal difference. Yes no win yet (Palace should have been) but we have competed in each match. (See Rodgers first 7 game re-run in 22-23 where we do a "Cooper" at home v Brentford and Southampton and are blasted away in the others for perspective.)

Southampton have been attrotious on their return so far and Ipswich yet to win either out of the promoted clubs. It is bloody hard to get back in to the top flight, even if just a year away.

I think we were spoilt by Maresca hitting the ground running with a superb squad at Championship level.

Cut the guy some slack and judge properly after at least 12 or 13 games before putting the poll up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

One can only hope... 🙏 

They won't. This place, facebook and twitter are pretty heavily anti him, Reddit is heavily pro him, the fans in the ground are barely making any noise. I can see it coming if he makes more subs like Mavididis on saturday (first time in a while I've heard the ground pretty much unanimously boo a sub) but the board aren't really gonna be swayed by social media either way.