Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Cooper - OUT

I do really feel for the bloke, because every time he comes out in an interview I think 'he sounds genuine, he wants to succeed - he seems to actually care'. You never hear him ducking, or making excuses, and he fronted up to the crowd's displeasure last night - it would have been easy to just throw out a bunch of excuses.

But at the same time, it's just not working - and as nice a man as he seems to be, I can't see where this upturn in performances and results are going to come from.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

I wonder if we could start quietly and informally sounding people out. There is nothing more frustrating than sacking a manager and then stumbling along with no coherent plan until a replacement is found. 

I didn’t actually think Cooper was the worst appointment. My main fear was that the clear identity and philosophy (whether you liked it or not) we had under Enzo would be ripped up and we’d have to start again. That to me suggested the people who run the club had no clear strategy or vision in terms of how to take the club forward. 

A few games in, however, and I’m really struggling to see what this guys stands for. He’s not innovative, has no clear identity and doesn’t even appear to be a motivator. It’s not his fault, but the suspicion that he was the wrong guy is currently being played out on the pitch 

Rudkin and basic competence don't mix unfortunately.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JonnyBoy said:

anybody else listening to talk sport? who are these Leicester fans? 3 out of 4 callers asking to give Steve Cooper more time. 

I am absolutely gobsmacked from what i am hearing, Danny Murphy and co. don't have a clue either 

tbf its like most of the pundits, they dont watch us on the reg, only highlights etc, 

they did the same about Rodgers etc

23 minutes ago, JonnyBoy said:

anybody else listening to talk sport? who are these Leicester fans? 3 out of 4 callers asking to give Steve Cooper more time. 

I am absolutely gobsmacked from what i am hearing, Danny Murphy and co. don't have a clue either 

For me he's got two games now to try and save his job, not expecting anything from the Arsenal game but if he loses to Bournemouth. Then he's got nowhere to go really.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barrowblue said:

Oh, sorry, apologies. 

I thought that we were discussing 'realistic' appointments for managers, who understand they have a whole five league games to turn the clubs on field performances around.

Steve Cooper has managed to turn the clubs on field performance around in 5 league games just not in the right direction

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, beepee1984 said:

"They stuck to the application of not losing"

This was included in Coopers press comments regarding playing a 4th tier side - shows his ambition

"The application of not losing" could be the name of Cooper's managerial handbook.

His first thought is never 'how do we win?' it's always 'how do we avoid losing?' - which explains his desire for 'experienced' players, his negative formations, his overly conservative game management, his negative substitutions. Palace was a prime example - they're piling forward and Steve's not thinking about how we play our way back into the game, he's thinking how do we soak up their pressure more - he brings on Coady and the rest is history. But hey, we didn't lose.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

I do really feel for the bloke, because every time he comes out in an interview I think 'he sounds genuine, he wants to succeed - he seems to actually care'. You never hear him ducking, or making excuses, and he fronted up to the crowd's displeasure last night - it would have been easy to just throw out a bunch of excuses.

But at the same time, it's just not working - and as nice a man as he seems to be, I can't see where this upturn in performances and results are going to come from.

oa3ht.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pliskin said:

We still pay silly wages, and we’re still an attractive club for a decent manager. 

Potter would take it if the terms are right for him. As would Corberan. I also think Moyes would take the job too. 

Any young exciting manager would also take the job, as they will use Enzo as a benchmark. 

One thing our fans have got to stop doing is thinking we’re in the gutter because we’re not. The PSR issue for this season is no more, So there’s no excuses there. 

Any number of good coaches would want this job… 

The problem is the board, they **** it up every time.

Can't remember where I read it but back when we appointed Cooper, there were some comments about the quality of coaches he brings with him to clubs aren't good enough. If true, I do wonder if that's effecting our players as much as Cooper himself. If the coaches are a massive drop off to previous regimes then it will feel very stark and likely add to the early disillusion.

I was hoping that Hughes and Dawson may have improved it if it's the case but admittedly I don't know a massive amount about either.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JonnyBoy said:

Yeah mad. Although Warnock saying he’s not a fan of Steve Cooper made me laugh 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The problem any manager has in coming into this club is I dont think we (sorry for generalising) as fans have got over what has happened to us. What happened in the season 2022/23 is not easy to get over. We were let down in the worst way in a footballing sense by the players, the manager, the owner and the board. Most of those lot have gone on and had no impact on their lives or their careers. Being a football fan (or a sport fan) is one of the most mind boggling hobbies known to the human race. It makes no sense to be so invested in a sport in which you have little impact and actual tangible benefit. But people are.  

From the outside, Cooper seems to be doing what he is paid for - guaranteed every neutral sees us as bonkers. 5 games in. 3 points, 15th and newly promoted. What are you guys complaining about. The problem though is we have been burnt and very recently. So those problems many of us are seeing are far more evident than it would be to any neutral or pundit. Add to the fact a lot of us dont trust the man child owner and his board to "protect" the club. 

Last season I was all about going up. I didnt care how but just wanted out of that league. This season, I just want to stay up. How ? Couldnt care less. However, as a fan, what I am seeing reflects so much about that horrible season. Poor application, no cohesion between the players, consistent mistakes (how many times have we been overloaded on the right side?!?!), poor signings, players isolated for no apparent reason etc. Its all there. Again. But this time without the fact that I can say, its ok we have so and so who is better than most down there to settle me down. 

Enzo did a lot wrong but one thing that he did right was quite openly accept that the club had failed and was failing in so many areas. Psychologically that is huge. Cooper seemed to go down that route but has moved away from it. With the board not accepting and being unwilling to recognise fault, they are going to have deal with this for a few seasons where a manager is used as the punching bag whether that is justified (which I think is the case here) or not. 

Top, Rudkin and Whelan are major problems at this football club and our club is forever at risk with them at the helm - the "hysteria" regarding Cooper after games is right but I think only intensified because fans know the club will be unprepared in a: 1) making the decision at the right time; and 2) acquiring an adequate replacement. For us to be successful, success has to fall into our lap with those 3. We can not trust them to pro-actively manage us right. They dont have the application to do so. I genuinely think without the 2022/2023 hangover, concerns, fears etc. this thread would either not exist or would be smaller - people have that season in the back of their mind. 

Cooper's time here is now numbered unless he completes a massive u-turn - any good board would have options prepared. However, I think we will fall from one problem to another far bigger one. 

Firstly, great post mate.

The bit that I’ve highlighted though masks all of Cooper’s obvious flaws.

1) We’re currently 15th but the season so far has been highlighted as an outlier for so many clubs not picking up a win in the first 5 games.

2) The tactics, substitutions and overall coaching of our players is such a basic, dare I say amateur level it’s damning.

3) His apparent issue with Ricky P, dropping Skipp after he was one of the best players against Palace are baffling.

I could carry on too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, indierich06 said:

Yes it's really not worked out for him here - I know early days and all that but some times in life it's best to hold your hands up and for both parties to move on with no hard feelings - and that's said with experience 

25 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

1) We’re currently 15th but the season so far has been highlighted as an outlier for so many clubs not picking up a win in the first 5 games.

2) The tactics, substitutions and overall coaching of our players is such a basic, dare I say amateur level it’s damning.

3) His apparent issue with Ricky P, dropping Skipp after he was one of the best players against Palace are baffling.

I could carry on too.

I get that. But we've also been the neutral before and how many times have newly promoted sides sacked a manager and we thought they were bonkers, had delusions of grandeur etc. They will see as a newly promoted side who should be appreciative of being here. They wont mention that we have more internationals then say the mighty Forest. 

We were forgotten/ignored by these experts/other fans for one whole season. I mean they were selling all out "world class players" to PL clubs - without mentioning how many we actually had in our side that went down. 

They will have this opinion - by no means is it right - it was right when we needed "perspective" despite Rodgers dragging us down. 

28 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

I could carry on too.

1) 6 teams didn't have a win at this stage last season from what I can see, we'd be in exactly the same position last season. Out of the bottom three the season before and 16th the season before that (6 teams without a win again), and 16 th the year before that.   I'm failing to see what's so drastically different.

2) Subjective of course, and it's not been great by any stretch. But it is just 5 games. 

3) Who would you drop instead of Skipp? Presuming you don't want the 3 DM's people have constantly moaned about? Ndidi got two assists against Palace, and I don't really see Skipp as another Winks, personally. 

• Like 1

Putting all of this detailed analysis aside, sometimes a manager just doesn’t fit culturally, and the fans aren’t having him.

We had it with Steve McLaren.  He was just seen, rightly or wrongly, as a ridiculous Derby fan.  We weren’t having him.  He was basically booed from the moment he arrived and he lasted about 100 days.  

I’m sure we rationalised it with guff about substitutions and playing style, but it was simpler than that - the fans didn’t want him because they just didn’t want him.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, indierich06 said:

The problem is the board, they **** it up every time.

Did they **** it up when they brought Maresca in? Did they **** it up when they brought Rodgers in? Pearson?

Don't act like they always get it wrong with managers, they have as many hits as misses.

This is a miss but the pickings were probably slim due to the likely sanctions. They should be judged on how quickly they come to terms with it, and who they replace him with. This will show if they've learned from the Rodgers mess.

• Like 3