Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Next Manager.

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Frank De Boer was sacked by Palace after 5 games. I'm not sure what sort of contract Cooper has though, which might make it very hard to remove him.

Usually I would say that people are getting worked up over meaningless pre-season fixtures. But not in this case at all. The best example I can give is this. Last pre-season Liverpool battered us 4-0, with Mads making two good saves to keep the score down. And yet in that game, in the first 20 minutes we looked brilliant, playing out of Liverpool's press and making several opportunities which we failed to score from. At the time I did a show on Beyond the 90 with Neel and told him that despite the result, I was convinced we would win the Championship because to get the team working that well, that quickly, despite the result, was the sign of a top coach.

Sadly after this preseason I see a team that is going to struggle all season long. Prior to the Lens game I thought the scorelines might not be that bad, but we would ultimately lose through a lack of attacking threat. But today we got beat by 3, and that scoreline flattered us.

It's not even that they're going to struggle all season, they appear (for the most part) to have already quit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Frank De Boer was sacked by Palace after 5 games. I'm not sure what sort of contract Cooper has though, which might make it very hard to remove him.

Usually I would say that people are getting worked up over meaningless pre-season fixtures. But not in this case at all. The best example I can give is this. Last pre-season Liverpool battered us 4-0, with Mads making two good saves to keep the score down. And yet in that game, in the first 20 minutes we looked brilliant, playing out of Liverpool's press and making several opportunities which we failed to score from. At the time I did a show on Beyond the 90 with Neel and told him that despite the result, I was convinced we would win the Championship because to get the team working that well, that quickly, despite the result, was the sign of a top coach.

Sadly after this preseason I see a team that is going to struggle all season long. Prior to the Lens game I thought the scorelines might not be that bad, but we would ultimately lose through a lack of attacking threat. But today we got beat by 3, and that scoreline flattered us.

Realistically, we could have Pep and finish bottom given the mess the rest of the club is in. Don’t know what people expected after selling our manager, back room staff and best player in the off season, killing any momentum. Basically done what Sheffield United did last season and have no money to rebuild the squad. We have zero non-CDM central midfielders with senior experience, and no viable striker. There is next to no creativity and next to no goal threat in the squad. 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

Just now, Jakemoore said:

Can people stop blaming the manager.

He’s been in the job a month.
He  inherited a squad which already lacked creativity and then we sold our most creative player because of the total mismanagement of the club by people at the club long before Cooper arrived. 
The club have consistently struggled to recruit at the top end of the field and had to rely upon loaning teenagers in from clubs we used to finish comfortably above.

Be honest, you only want Cooper out because he’s ex Forest. Get a grip. Forest literally don’t give a shit about us so stop making a thing out of it.

Cooper has proven to be a decent manager but he’s working with at least one hand tied behind his back because of Rudkin etc. If you want to vent, vent at the right people. 

he had a squad that, while having a slight wobble due to a lack of depth in the cm area, pretty much romped the championship. all he needed was to keep things the same and bring in a bit of squad depth. instead his coaching has deteriorated this team and the players don't seem to know what the plan is, if there is one. he's clearly out of his depth

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mod hero said:

With the points deduction we’re looking at Derby’s record low points (11)

That performance really is as bad as it gets.

Good job it was in a game that meant nothing! 

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

Agreed, it's been dire.

Sad but true. You can see it on their faces!

I don't agree with that. When Enzo came in, morale was also on the floor. But he perked everyone up very quickly and instilled confidence in them. Several players even said they wanted to stay because they were excited to work with Maresca. I don't think I saw any happy faces in any of the 3 previous games.

I only watched 10 minutes of the second half. It's all I needed.

• Haha 1

Nothing - absolutely nothing gives any reason for optimism. Turgid non-creative football. Lack of game plan. Players playing out of position and pre-season results have been awful. We are going down like a lead ballon and will only sack Cooper when its too late.

17 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Agreed, it's been dire.

Sad but true. You can see it on their faces!

I don't agree with that. When Enzo came in, morale was also on the floor. But he perked everyone up very quickly and instilled confidence in them. Several players even said they wanted to stay because they were excited to work with Maresca. I don't think I saw any happy faces in any of the 3 previous games.

With the players available to us, how would any manager put out a team with premier league quality chance creation and conversion? There are no creative midfielders with senior experience (okay today we signed Buonanate; but until today there have been none), and no viable striker to lead the line in the Premier League. With the players we have at our disposal prior to today, what option is there? We simply don’t have the players. This squad is not even upper Championship quality now with losses and aging considered. We are in deep trouble, and it’s not because of the manager. 

I was a fan of Enzo, but I don’t think he would have kept us up playing the only system he is willing to play, especially with this squad. 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Nothing - absolutely nothing gives any reason for optimism. Turgid non-creative football. Lack of game plan. Players playing out of position and pre-season results have been awful. We are going down like a lead ballon and will only sack Cooper when its too late.

Forest fans loving life, agent cooper working from the inside 👀

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Don't the senior players carry any responsibility? Didn't they get together under Enzo to get us out of the dip? 

That was a dip under a manager getting off to a good start, don’t think we have hit the dip yet 

1 minute ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

For the record: I started this thread to see who would bite. 

Which isn't to say I'm not worried.

The stupid thing is - Cooper has put himself under massive pressure going into a season opener that in reality should have been a free hit.

If it was just the one pre-season game that we looked poor in that would be one thing… but he haven’t looked convincing throughout.

The players looked devoid of confidence and any practical understanding of what they are being asked to do - they’ve been playing as individuals, not as a collective.

If they show that again against Spurs in a little over a week that could be a pretty ugly game.

Starting well and with confidence was always going to be important given a number of our early fixtures represent potential six pointers - we face Fulham, Palace, Everton across our first six fixtures.

That’s followed by October’s three fixtures of Bournemouth, Southampton and Forest - all games that will have a huge impact on shaping our season.

Yet - it’s a fair question to ask at the moment whether Cooper will even get that far with us from what we’ve seen to date.