Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

General News

I see the locals of Ratby and Blaby are kicking off over housing plans in the area, never an issue until it affects you personally I guess.

Truth is 1.5m homes in the next 5 years will see a lot of green land swallowed up as villages become towns & towns into cities.

Not sure I’d be up for buying 1 of their new homes, they need to over double the current output and they can’t even get the 1s they are doing now right just imagine the snagging issues these new homes will have, they will end up looking like the viewers submitted pictures on Take Hart.

9 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I see the locals of Ratby and Blaby are kicking off over housing plans in the area, never an issue until it affects you personally I guess.

Truth is 1.5m homes in the next 5 years will see a lot of green land swallowed up as villages become towns & towns into cities.

Not sure I’d be up for buying 1 of their new homes, they need to over double the current output and they can’t even get the 1s they are doing now right just imagine the snagging issues these new homes will have, they will end up looking like the viewers submitted pictures on Take Hart.

But it's on a well used golf course seems counter productive to build new houses and take away a well used local facility. 

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

But it's on a well used golf course seems counter productive to build new houses and take away a well used local facility. 

Ohh I hear you happened where I live 10minutes walk from an 18 hole course now 400 homes, to their credit they did add a school but local road infrastructure and other amenities remain the same, with an additional 400->1600 (what ever it could be) new bodies trying to use the same GP and Dentist surgeries for example.

Trouble is the new bolt on plans for homes will always effect the existing communities as facilities are taken away, usually leisure, but road, health, school & shops remain the same.

Can only think it’s easier to purchase and get planning on these areas than breaking green belt so targeted first 🤷‍♂️ 

19 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Ohh I hear you happened where I live 10minutes walk from an 18 hole course now 400 homes, to their credit they did add a school but local road infrastructure and other amenities remain the same, with an additional 400->1600 (what ever it could be) new bodies trying to use the same GP and Dentist surgeries for example.

Trouble is the new bolt on plans for homes will always effect the existing communities as facilities are taken away, usually leisure, but road, health, school & shops remain the same.

Can only think it’s easier to purchase and get planning on these areas than breaking green belt so targeted first 🤷‍♂️ 

Golf, isn't that a good walk spoilt? After all who wants to keep losing their balls!!

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

With that in mind have the Seagrave residents calmed down a bit yet?

Doesn't sound like the same situation, this is more of a 'local' amenities with a 9 hole golf course, crazy golf and café within walking distance of many residents.

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

We’ll never build 1.5m houses in 5 years. 

So many obstacles to overcome.

Based on current build numbers, we’d need to increase that 150% per year. 

The large ground workers that put roads and sewers in alone would need massive credit limit increases with their suppliers. Those suppliers aren’t exactly jumping up and down as they work on such small margins (due to being screwed by the housing companies) they don’t have enough excess cashflow when the housing companies choose not to pay them. 

Couple this with getting hold of site workers, delivery drivers, resources etc, it’s not something that is going to scale up overnight to get to the level that people think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Good old fashioned NIMBYism.

15 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Good old fashioned NIMBYism.

They are building on a well used golf course while also proposing to build on enderby golf course.

What's worse is they aren't even filling the site. I am guessing it's BNG regs screwing up the layouts, but if they are going to shaft the local community they might as well do it properly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kenny said:

They are building on a well used golf course while also proposing to build on enderby golf course.

What's worse is they aren't even filling the site. I am guessing it's BNG regs screwing up the layouts, but if they are going to shaft the local community they might as well do it properly.

depends which way you view it as "shafting the community".   If they are providing accomodation for the local community, so that needed housing gives people the opportunity to own a home, then it's supporting the local community isn't it? all depends on how you frame it......   I'm 100% sure that if there was a cronic shortage of housing locally, then residents and those affected would be moaning about the fact that they can't find accomodation and are having to move out of the area. 

1 minute ago, Greg2607 said:

depends which way you view it as "shafting the community".   If they are providing accomodation for the local community, so that needed housing gives people the opportunity to own a home, then it's supporting the local community isn't it? all depends on how you frame it......   I'm 100% sure that if there was a cronic shortage of housing locally, then residents and those affected would be moaning about the fact that they can't find accomodation and are having to move out of the area. 

You need more than houses to have a cohesive community.

9 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

i'm not sure that a golf course does it either. 

It's well used as are the 6 local businesses based there.

There is green belt all around which is now fair game. Use some of that and more importantly ensure that the housing density is such that the lost amenities are worth it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kenny said:

It's well used as are the 6 local businesses based there.

There is green belt all around which is now fair game. Use some of that and more importantly ensure that the housing density is such that the lost amenities are worth it.

oh well that's great news then.  If it's hugely profitable, they won't need to sell the land to the developers as they will be making enough profit from the customers and rentals from the other businesses to keep it on as a going concern....

17 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

oh well that's great news then.  If it's hugely profitable, they won't need to sell the land to the developers as they will be making enough profit from the customers and rentals from the other businesses to keep it on as a going concern....

Or they just cash in now as they are the landowner that can do as they please?

Its down to the local authority to decide whether the loss of amenity space is worth it or not. In this case, I would suggest not unless they move the golf course to another location on the outskirts of Blaby.

If the amount that land generates in rent is what decides on viable development, then the green belt is well and truly ****ed.

I do hope you aren't a planning officer!

13 minutes ago, kenny said:

Or they just cash in now as they are the landowner that can do as they please?

Its down to the local authority to decide whether the loss of amenity space is worth it or not. In this case, I would suggest not unless they move the golf course to another location on the outskirts of Blaby.

If the amount that land generates in rent is what decides on viable development, then the green belt is well and truly ****ed.

I do hope you aren't a planning officer!

ok, so lets look at it another way... lets assume that there needs to be 250 new homes built in Blaby... where would you prefer they were built? 

3 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

ok, so lets look at it another way... lets assume that there needs to be 250 new homes built in Blaby... where would you prefer they were built? 

Great question, im not a planner nor involved with the local plan but i'll bite.

I would go for 50 units on the disused allotments off Lutterworth road already in for planning.

I would probably grant 100 units permission for the site off Hospital Lane. This road is screwed anyway, they might as well make it worse.

The allotments near to Whetstone are less than 50% utilised, so its likely that 50 houses could be accommodated there.

I would then look to fill in between Whetstone Juniors and the industrial estate which would bring around 150 units.

This maintains the green belt corridor between Blaby and Countesthorpe.

What would you suggest?

So you're happy to build on green belt land as long as it doesn't affect the golf course is essentially what your saying.  

I don't have the answers either btw, but the long and short of it is that the UK population has grown by 10 million people since 2000 and we haven't built enough houses, normally because local people object to the building schemes. 

There is never a "perfect place" to build is there.  The failure of our planning system is that we don't seem to do well at putting in place supporting infrastructure like schools, doctors, improved roads etc.   

I suspect if you told the people of blaby that the houses were buying built on the gold course, but they would get a 2nd doctor's surgery, a new community centre, a local supermarket etc and the roads would be updated to accommodate the extra traffic, I'm sure they would be less bothered. 

Planning laws need to transform in the UK to improve local infrastructure as well as make sure our kids will have houses to live in. 

Edited by Greg2607

8 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Genuine question.

Would people be willing to have migrants housed in their area?

Fair to ask the question but it's a bit loaded for a forum with topics like this on their last chance that hasn't been open a week, Wymsey.