Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

General News

10 minutes ago, MPH said:

honestly I think he had such a dominant win that he felt he had the backing to be a bit bolder  and less reserved in his decision making… but yea… could have been better ways to save money surely…

He's been really naive to think he could do this to appear tough. If the cabinet announced a wealth tax at the same time then maybe, maybe, the kick back among Labour members and MPs wouldn't have been so strong. He's expounded a lot of political capital over a measure that wasn't in the manifesto and few in the party would've supported campaigning on.

The result: members have resigned, the TUC speech was a damp squib, a cohort of MPs are bitter about having to file through the lobby, MP inboxes are full, and CLPs are now infighting. It's just a bit dumb. Really dumb.

My biggest gripe is that my Facebook warrior family members who regularly complain about scroungers and benefit stealers, are now complaining about having their fuel allowance taken away (despite owning their own houses). 

I agree with others that it’s bad policy and exceptionally unfair and tough for those near the cut off, but the system has suited those at the older end of the spectrum for decades now. Economic realignment and redistribution to support those that will be fueling this country for the next 50 years is drastically needed. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lionator said:

My biggest gripe is that my Facebook warrior family members who regularly complain about scroungers and benefit stealers, are now complaining about having their fuel allowance taken away (despite owning their own houses). 

Xmas Day is going to be fun with the heating turned off and the turkey cooked by candle, just to make a point lol

• Haha 2

I'm back home up North for a week and watching the Scottish news where people are saying they wont be able to heat their homes this winter.

You have to remember the temperatures in the North of the country are at least 5 degrees lower than the East Mids. 

They are annoyed at the Labour MP's. They voted them in at the last GE, but none of them have the bottle to stand up for their constituents on this issue. 

Here's hoping its a mild winter. 

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

He's been really naive to think he could do this to appear tough. If the cabinet announced a wealth tax at the same time then maybe, maybe, the kick back among Labour members and MPs wouldn't have been so strong. He's expounded a lot of political capital over a measure that wasn't in the manifesto and few in the party would've supported campaigning on.

The result: members have resigned, the TUC speech was a damp squib, a cohort of MPs are bitter about having to file through the lobby, MP inboxes are full, and CLPs are now infighting. It's just a bit dumb. Really dumb.

it’s very odd  behavior … you’d expect it from a Tory government maybe, but not a Labour government… and he also continues to ignore pressure  to increase taxes on the super rich….

but people can’t use this to forget just how bad things were under the Tories.. memories can fade quickly , and I wish they wouldn’t..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

I'm back home up North for a week and watching the Scottish news where people are saying they wont be able to heat their homes this winter.

You have to remember the temperatures in the North of the country are at least 5 degrees lower than the East Mids. 

They are annoyed at the Labour MP's. They voted them in at the last GE, but none of them have the bottle to stand up for their constituents on this issue. 

Here's hoping its a mild winter. 

let’s not think they could afford the payments if  they were independent..

12 hours ago, MPH said:

it’s very odd  behavior … you’d expect it from a Tory government maybe, but not a Labour government… and he also continues to ignore pressure  to increase taxes on the super rich….

but people can’t use this to forget just how bad things were under the Tories.. memories can fade quickly , and I wish they wouldn’t..

She has also claimed £3,700 of cost towards her own heating before cutting the winter fuel allowance 

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

She has also claimed £3,700 of cost towards her own heating before cutting the winter fuel allowance 

I mean, that was spread over 5 years.. but yeah I’d definitely support a better means tested payment as long as the threshold was lower for those qualifying and a sensible cap

18 hours ago, Lionator said:

I agree with others that it’s bad policy and exceptionally unfair and tough for those near the cut off, but the system has suited those at the older end of the spectrum for decades now. Economic realignment and redistribution to support those that will be fueling this country for the next 50 years is drastically needed. 

do you not expect to reach old age? and if you do, would you not like the small reward of £200 p.a. to help you out?

7 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I would hope to have a pension that would cover it. 

Be nice to have some cash in hand to go with the triple lock pay rise, free bus pass, free prescriptions and free TV license though wouldn't it?

Edited by Zear0
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Be nice to have some cash in hand to go with the triple lock pay rise, free bus pass, free prescriptions and free TV license though wouldn't it?

Hope the screamy right-wing, hypocritical lot aghast at this cut will be so loud if other benefits for non pensioners were cut.

I. Suspect. Not.

Edited by Footballwipe
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Free TV licence is only available to over 75s on pension credit. Some people other than pensioners qualify for free prescriptions. Also think of older people that can't drive or have to give up driving which in turn means better safety on the roads etc. Most pensioners also pay tax

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, boots60 said:

The mandatory pension scheme did not come into force in the UK until 2012

That's several million people with very low pension expectations.

And there's some of us close to retirement who had our pensions effectively stolen when the Tories transfered them to private entities - who proceeded to almost wipe out the pot with fees and charges. I have almost nothing left and no recourse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

58 minutes ago, Daggers said:

And there's some of us close to retirement who had our pensions effectively stolen when the Tories transfered them to private entities - who proceeded to almost wipe out the pot with fees and charges. I have almost nothing left and no recourse.

When was this?

• Like 1

See no sense in the decision to scrap the winter fuel payment, the £1.9b saved is both small in the grand scheme things and will largely be offset by those encouraged to get pension credit, so what is the point? Can easily imagine the Tories would have done it mind, but that will have to cease to be the go to reason at some point.

What’s the consensus from everyone so far on how labour are getting on? 

I know I’m a Tory standing in a mostly labour field when I say this, however I think they’re definitely more centre right than what most people were expecting. 

By the way, I don’t agree with the cutting of fuel payments. I’d bloody means test everyone! If you’re a two person family living in a 10 bedroom house and can’t afford it, as you’ve had to put fuel in your yacht, it’s different to being 2 people in a 1 bedroom flat etc etc Same as a single parent grafting to put food on table working 50+ hours a week, compared to the people who won’t even attempt to find a job. 

And I shiz you not, we had someone turn up for an interview last year in a dressing gown and slippers! Seriously! Clearly didn’t want the job. 

9 minutes ago, Sly said:

I know I’m a Tory standing in a mostly labour field when I say this, however I think they’re definitely more centre right than what most people were expecting. 

By the way, I don’t agree with the cutting of fuel payments. I’d bloody means test everyone! If you’re a two person family living in a 10 bedroom house and can’t afford it, as you’ve had to put fuel in your yacht, it’s different to being 2 people in a 1 bedroom flat etc etc Same as a single parent grafting to put food on table working 50+ hours a week, compared to the people who won’t even attempt to find a job. 

And I shiz you not, we had someone turn up for an interview last year in a dressing gown and slippers! Seriously! Clearly didn’t want the job. 

I knew it was happening during the election campaign tbh. Starmer had abandoned all his principles on the EU, voting reform and green energy.

Problem is all Starmer did was spend the entire election campaign saying what he wouldn’t do and has painted himself in a corner when he’s ruled out basically everything out of fear of Tory attacks.

It’s early days but it definitely feels considerably further to the right than Blair and Brown so far and Starmer continues to sell short term pain and zero future optimism. It’d be a lot more  palatable if we were sold what yet another period of austerity is for and what we’ll get on the other side of it 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sly said:

Shit.

I'm still available and might consider another interview if you sort my expenses for it this time.

• Haha 1