Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

General News

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

It’s not about it being a sacred cow. It’s about logic. If the party is serious about encouraging all onto pension credits that are entitled, thereby boosting their ability to meet fuel bills, then the ensuing saving from scrapping the WFA is all but wiped out. So what is the point?

Upset pensioners, upset MPs, incensed party members, and a nonplussed public for no financial or political gain. It’s lunacy.

As a pensioner I was trying to be fair to the government but I do agree on your summary 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Pensioners will get around £460 increase next year, take off the WFP and basically you're left with diddly squat. Thanks a lot!!

Not all pensioners will get  £460.

• Like 1

There maybe are many who can afford to go without but they aren't going to admit that or say ok we won't need it.

I presume we aren't going to see thousands and thousands of elderly people die through this being taken away otherwise surely it wouldn't be considered? 

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Certainly my parents do not and most of their friends won’t either, think this is some sort of born-before-random-date restriction from what I understand?

I believe 2016 is the date.

https://pa.media/blogs/fact-check/fact-check-state-pension-rose-by-900-for-some-in-april/#:~:text=The April 2024 hike was,of £902.20 per year.

Not all pensioners received the increase from £203.85 per week to £221.20 per week – a rise of £902.20 per year. That was only for those receiving the full new state pension, which is only available for those who reached the state pension age after April 6, 2016.

Those who get the full old-style basic state pension will see  a rise of £691.60 instead. In addition to this not everyone gets the full state pension.

4 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

This is a figure the Govt. have quoted.

Well of course it makes them look better.

https://pa.media/blogs/fact-check/fact-check-state-pension-rose-by-900-for-some-in-april/#:~:text=The April 2024 hike was,of £902.20 per year.

Not all pensioners received the increase from £203.85 per week to £221.20 per week – a rise of £902.20 per year. That was only for those receiving the full new state pension, which is only available for those who reached the state pension age after April 6, 2016.

Those who get the full old-style basic state pension will see  a rise of £691.60 instead. In addition to this not everyone gets the full state pension.

I see 'Capt. Hindsight' is now saying "the Government did not carry out an impact assessment on cutting winter fuel support for millions of pensioners".

The Lib-Dems even state this is "absolutely unthinkable".

What a way to introduce a new policy which was not in their manifesto.

On the hoof comes to mind.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, davieG said:

Not for all pensioners.

I appreciate that. Still think the broader point about the triple lock making state pensions more generous in comparison to benefits for working age people, including child benefit stands - and will continue to do so as long as the triple lock remains in place. I do agree that there will be pensioners affected by this who will feel it due to where the cutoff point is being drawn, which is not good.

2 hours ago, izzymuzzet said:

I appreciate that. Still think the broader point about the triple lock making state pensions more generous in comparison to benefits for working age people, including child benefit stands - and will continue to do so as long as the triple lock remains in place. I do agree that there will be pensioners affected by this who will feel it due to where the cutoff point is being drawn, which is not good.

The triple lock will be gone within 5 years if not sooner. Mark my words.

A general observation on this topic:

I wonder how many in the press and their readership decrying this act of cruelty towards pensioners were a couple of years ago totally OK with the idea of little to few restrictions regarding controlling the spread of a virus that was rather deadly to the same demographic?

I'm thinking perhaps that's rather a lot of hypocrisy to swallow from them.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Blueman1967 said:

They put all the people in jail, because of the riots, when they say they had room to put them in, then you have the jails are full, then they decide early release for 2,000 prisoners, then wonder why people are reoffending.

People don't stop offending because they went to prison or the threat of going to prison. People stop offending because they are given the tools to make a better life.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

People don't stop offending because they went to prison or the threat of going to prison. People stop offending because they are given the tools to make a better life.

I think you'll find some certainly don't want to go back inside. 

5 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I wonder how many more stories we will hear like this ?

Always risky I guess.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnvdy22gje4o

Absolutley horrific but unfortunately inevitable. Some of those released are serving 40% of a sentence which is an insult to the victims

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Sad 1