Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

General News

1 hour ago, MPH said:

All very familiar… :(

All very inevitable

worhdraw north of the Litani (as per 1701) and stop launching rockets (as per pre 7/10/24) and Israel would have no justification for attacks.

hezbollah have made it very easy for BN to expand the war.  They are not acting outside of Tehran’s instructions (in contrast with Gaza - it’s likely  that Hamas did not inform them of oct 7) so Iran’s protests must be put into context. 

Hezbollah could easily have prevented this escalation by Israel by changing their approach at some point over the past year.  

It seems that sinwar has rejected out of hand the opportunity of safe passage for him and his family as part of a ceasefire arrangement in Gaza. (This has led to unsubstantiated rumours that he might be badly injured or possibly dead) 

if Hamas and hezbollah want to fight on then unfortunately for the region, Israel has a very willing leader in that respect.  Biden must be tearing his hair out. He must have thought there was no way that this would still be ongoing into the elections. 

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

Congrats for picking out a few roles that pay more than £49k - I think there are plenty of people on this forum who earn a lot less than that and work very hard for it and be pretty offended by flippant comments like that. It’s not really the point of the conversation around whether or not it will cost £4 or not for breakfast club. 

I think it’s a generalisation to say anyone who has complained about teachers strikes is a admin pen pusher too. 

You're right, it is.

It may also be a generalisation, but more accurate, to say that lots of the people who complain about teachers strikes take the job for granted (possibly along with most other public service jobs, sadly Covid didn't disabuse them of that notion) and also don't look any further beyond what the job entails and its difficulty than "hey, they get all summer off, don't they?"

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

You're right, it is.

It may also be a generalisation, but more accurate, to say that lots of the people who complain about teachers strikes take the job for granted (possibly along with most other public service jobs, sadly Covid didn't disabuse them of that notion) and also don't look any further beyond what the job entails and its difficulty than "hey, they get all summer off, don't they?"

What about people who work in the private sector, poorly paid, and don’t have the option to strike? On zero hours contracts, 4 mouths to feed etc etc. 

I haven’t even made any comment about teachers striking! This was a discussion about kids breakfast clubs and the cost of it, shock horror it’s turned around to be something completely different. 

Congrats for picking out a few roles that pay more than £49k - I think there are plenty of people on this forum who earn a lot less than that and work very hard for it and be pretty offended by flippant comments like that. It’s not really the point of the conversation around whether or not it will cost £4 or not for breakfast club. 

I think it’s a generalisation to say anyone who has complained about teachers strikes is a admin pen pusher too. 

You’d hope people could read, understand and therefore wouldn’t be offended. £49k for doing a skilled job which requires a myriad of different soft and hard skills, qualifications and experience is absolute peanuts. These people are securing the future of your kids and you’re happy to pay your estate agent more 😂😂😂😂

Second paragraph. Didn’t say that. 

9 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

You’d hope people could read, understand and therefore wouldn’t be offended. £49k for doing a skilled job which requires a myriad of different soft and hard skills, qualifications and experience is absolute peanuts. These people are securing the future of your kids and you’re happy to pay your estate agent more 😂😂😂😂

I'm fairly sure estate agents do not earn anything like £49k.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

You got any jobs going for £49k please?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

What about people who work in the private sector, poorly paid, and don’t have the option to strike? On zero hours contracts, 4 mouths to feed etc etc. 

I haven’t even made any comment about teachers striking! This was a discussion about kids breakfast clubs and the cost of it, shock horror it’s turned around to be something completely different. 

The subject was mentioned in passing, however.

Talking about the subject at hand then, yes, of course the scheme should be means tested, but provided that is the case I can't see it being a bad idea to anyone outside the most self-interested idea of the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

NB. I have no doubt the private sector is as exploitative as you say here in the first paragraph, and I hope at some point soon those people being taken for mugs have the opportunity to organise and get a fairer share of the pie.

1 minute ago, grobyfox1990 said:

As the poster above says, neither do teachers. 

It’s published the median pay for teachers is £49k. Yes not every single teacher will earn that, and many will earn more - that’s why it’s a median. 

The whole discussion was around funding breakfast clubs 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Sounds like you're talking about delivery drivers, who did go on strike on Valentine's Day this year. And Amazon warehouse workers, who also walked out for two days in Sutton Coldfield around the same time. Those workers should gain the right to unionise and we should respect them.

But otherwise if Steve the finance transformations manager at a FTSE 250 went on strike, no one would notice and we wouldn't care, because his job does not matter to the world compared to a teacher. No offence to Steve I'm sure he's a good lad

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

As the poster above says, neither do teachers. 

Not if pensions are excluded.

The start on £31.65k plus 28% for pension.l which is a package of  £40.5k as a fresh graduate.

This goes up in the usual fashion.

4 minutes ago, kenny said:

The start on £31.65k plus 28% for pension.l which is a package of  £40.5k as a fresh graduate.

28%??? Seriously? You’d have to be a flipping ceo to get that in the private sector!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Sounds like you're talking about delivery drivers, who did go on strike on Valentine's Day this year. And Amazon warehouse workers, who also walked out for two days in Sutton Coldfield around the same time. Those workers should gain the right to unionise and we should respect them.

But otherwise if Steve the finance transformations manager at a FTSE 250 went on strike, no one would notice and we wouldn't care, because his job does not matter to the world compared to a teacher. No offence to Steve I'm sure he's a good lad

Nah, Steve is a nightmare. Always late for work, divorced five times (the mystery is how did he get married 5 times?), drives a Landrover (even though he doesn't live on a farm; he lives in a studio apartment 500m from work), pays support for 8 children who he rarely sees, as he feels uncomfortable being seen on council estates.

In the draw of his desk at work is a tube of UHU to help get him through the day. Police have taken his laptop pending a court appearance and his last three PAs have resigned because he would stand behind their desk stroking their hair.

At the end of the day he drives 200m to a back street pub for the happy hour and drinks Fosters with Bells chasers, though on a good day he might have a sex on the beach if he sees a nice young lady he can bother. Then he orders a Deliveroo from one of the takeaway restaurants he drives past on the way home.

Steve thinks he's a prize catch, on account of his job and the money he earns.

• Haha 1

I look forward to joining your campaign for workers rights across the private sector. 

It’s published the median pay for teachers is £49k. Yes not every single teacher will earn that, and many will earn more - that’s why it’s a median. 

The whole discussion was around funding breakfast clubs 

Where did you see it published, these are the official figures

https://explore-education-statistics.service.gov.uk/find-statistics/median-teacher-pay-using-teacher-pension-scheme-data/2023-24

6 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

You wont even get that. 

When I used to work for a living, the company pension contribution was the standard 12% from top to bottom between exec and staff so yeah, 28% would have been nice.  Pay was somewhat larger though.

1 hour ago, kenny said:

If we're bringing variable pay elements into it then it's a whole different party. Estate agents earn their hay on commission, if you manage 20 all-electric 1-bed flats at a fee of 13% at a market rate in zone 1-3 London of £1,600 pm, assuming you keep 25% of that fee, you earn £12.5k commission. For absolutely no work. If you decide to do some work and sell a few houses. You earn stacks.

This is on top of a quarterly bonus and probably a pension of 10%.

Remember this is for completely unskilled and unqualified labour, so they should earn nowhere near what teachers do. 

Anyway, my original point being that the poster does happily pay his estate agent more than his kids' teacher, on an hourly pay basis.