Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

General News

7 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

If we're bringing variable pay elements into it then it's a whole different party. Estate agents earn their hay on commission, if you manage 20 all-electric 1-bed flats at a fee of 13% at a market rate in zone 1-3 London of £1,600 pm, assuming you keep 25% of that fee, you earn £12.5k commission. For absolutely no work. If you decide to do some work and sell a few houses. You earn stacks.

This is on top of a quarterly bonus and probably a pension of 10%.

Remember this is for completely unskilled and unqualified labour, so they should earn nowhere near what teachers do. 

Anyway, my original point being that the poster does happily pay his estate agent more than his kids' teacher, on an hourly pay basis.

Im not sure that the person in SIleby ive just spoken does manage 20 London flats and creams 13% straight into her salary but I could ask her tomorrow?

If she does, im ditching my job and being an Estate Agent for £4k per month for doing nothing and I strongly suggest that everyone reading this does the same. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tommy G said:

It’s currently charged at £4 for about an hour, it’s not the cost of the breakfast it’s the cost of kids to staff ratios that will be the actual cost here, which is quite obvious. 

Imagine a couple of hundred kids- associated costs as follows - cereal, toast, staff wages, employers NI, energy costs, cost of material to keep said kids occupied etc etc. 

But what will probably happen is the schools and pre schools that are currently running these at £4 a kid will suddenly be funded by the government and be expected to do it at something like £2 per kid.

Pre schools are struggling because the funding they receive from the government has barely risen over the years while the minimum wage goes up year on year. Many are now having to ask parents to contribute, and many others shutting. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

If we're bringing variable pay elements into it then it's a whole different party. Estate agents earn their hay on commission, if you manage 20 all-electric 1-bed flats at a fee of 13% at a market rate in zone 1-3 London of £1,600 pm, assuming you keep 25% of that fee, you earn £12.5k commission. For absolutely no work. If you decide to do some work and sell a few houses. You earn stacks.

This is on top of a quarterly bonus and probably a pension of 10%.

Remember this is for completely unskilled and unqualified labour, so they should earn nowhere near what teachers do. 

Anyway, my original point being that the poster does happily pay his estate agent more than his kids' teacher, on an hourly pay basis.

Who mentioned about Estate Agents?

9 minutes ago, kenny said:

Im not sure that the person in SIleby ive just spoken does manage 20 London flats and creams 13% straight into her salary but I could ask her tomorrow?

If she does, im ditching my job and being an Estate Agent for £4k per month for doing nothing and I strongly suggest that everyone reading this does the same. 

Well the person in Leytonstone I've just spoken to does. 

I strongly suggest you do.

33 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Might suggest it's something of a folly to judge professions worth here.

He says having stuck the knife into estate agents...

I think pen pushers are fair game because they are social inadequates, feverishly slaving to prove their worth while being consumed with bitterness because they are neither popular nor respected.

R.jpeg

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Well the person in Leytonstone I've just spoken to does. 

I strongly suggest you do.

I'll report back.

Our rental property costs us £50 a month in management fees. I wonder what the commission is on that?

54 minutes ago, kenny said:

I'll report back.

Our rental property costs us £50 a month in management fees. I wonder what the commission is on that?

Yep, that's how percentages work. Low rent = low percentage management fee = lower salary. 

As you said in a previous post, this goes up in the usual fashion and there are levels of ambitions to jobs, then associated increases in compensation based on that. No one is going to get rich peddling a 2 up 2 down in Leicestershire. 

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

All very inevitable

worhdraw north of the Litani (as per 1701) and stop launching rockets (as per pre 7/10/24) and Israel would have no justification for attacks.

hezbollah have made it very easy for BN to expand the war.  They are not acting outside of Tehran’s instructions (in contrast with Gaza - it’s likely  that Hamas did not inform them of oct 7) so Iran’s protests must be put into context. 

Hezbollah could easily have prevented this escalation by Israel by changing their approach at some point over the past year.  

It seems that sinwar has rejected out of hand the opportunity of safe passage for him and his family as part of a ceasefire arrangement in Gaza. (This has led to unsubstantiated rumours that he might be badly injured or possibly dead) 

if Hamas and hezbollah want to fight on then unfortunately for the region, Israel has a very willing leader in that respect.  Biden must be tearing his hair out. He must have thought there was no way that this would still be ongoing into the elections. 

Yes I totally get all that. I do.

but it doesn’t make me feel any better about innocent lives being caught in the crossfire, no matter who shoulders the blame..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

I think pen pushers are fair game because they are social inadequates, feverishly slaving to prove their worth while being consumed with bitterness because they are neither popular nor respected.

R.jpeg

I'm not sure what you define as a pen pusher - plenty of them in the NHS, plenty of them in whitehall, plenty of them in pretty much every part of society contributing. 

Coming from a place of someone who sits on a forum all day every day either insulting of belittling people. 

If you are able, join in with proper debate rather than snipe from the sidelines -  your opinion on the merits of whether breakfast clubs for kids is a good idea or not might be of interest - or wherever the topic goes next. 

39 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yep, that's how percentages work. Low rent = low percentage management fee = lower salary. 

As you said in a previous post, this goes up in the usual fashion and there are levels of ambitions to jobs, then associated increases in compensation based on that. No one is going to get rich peddling a 2 up 2 down in Leicestershire. 

So you weren't talking about all estate agents, just that one in Leytonstone?

Just now, grobyfox1990 said:

Are you talking about all estate agents? Or just that one in Sileby.

We use one in Narborough, Im just visiting another one in Sileby tomorrow.

I work with them occasionally so I do meet a few.

They hide their wealth very well assuming you are correct.

2 minutes ago, kenny said:

I'd wager an estate agent doesn't earn much, but if you own an estate agents, then yes - different game. Location will also be the biggest contributing factor, taking zone 1-3 in London isn't a fair representation for the rest of the UK.

1 minute ago, kenny said:

Because a salary of £49k is a long way from wealthy in today's world. And you are talking about the lower average-bottom end of the market. I'll say it again, peddling 2 up 2 downs across Leicestershire is a long way from lucrative for anyone involved in that trade. For both yield and appreciation.

Luckily we live a globalised world where a transferable job can be taken anywhere, and income can go up in the usual fashion.

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

R.jpeg

Don't even get me started on teachers with all those holidays!

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

I'd wager an estate agent doesn't earn much, but if you own an estate agents, then yes - different game. Location will also be the biggest contributing factor, taking zone 1-3 in London isn't a fair representation for the rest of the UK.

That goes for a lot of businesses. To earn above the norm you have to either own the business or manage a lot of staff.

What is earned in each industry can't be measured by the small handful of managerial/directorial staff at the top. Its a disingenuous way of looking at it, particularly when £49k is described as a low salary, which is much higher than most people earn. To use a what is clearly a business owner in London as an example of what all Agents earn is silly. I also think confusing the fee and the paid commission is not reasonable.

Just now, kenny said:

That goes for a lot of businesses. To earn above the norm you have to either own the business or manage a lot of staff.

What is earned in each industry can't be measured by the small handful of managerial/directorial staff at the top. Its a disingenuous way of looking at it, particularly when £49k is described as a low salary, which is much higher than most people earn. To use a what is clearly a business owner in London as an example of what all Agents earn is silly. I also think confusing the fee and the paid commission is not reasonable.

I agree!

29 minutes ago, kenny said:

'To earn above the norm you have to either own the business or manage a lot of staff.' - True, but not representative of your argument where you are using low quality, low yield stock as a guide. Ie 2 up 2 downs in Leicestershire earning c.£500 a month in rent. 

Please quote evidence of £49k described as a 'low salary.'

'To use a what is clearly a business owner in London as an example of what all Agents earn is silly' - Incorrect, an field associate at a mid-market practice 

'I also think confusing the fee and the paid commission is not reasonable.'  - Try and spot where you are wrong by reading my original quote - if you manage 20 all-electric 1-bed flats at a fee of 13% at a market rate in zone 1-3 London of £1,600 pm, assuming you keep 25% of that fee, you earn £12.5k commission.

I could be one of those online 'debunkers.' kenny - you've been DEBUNKED!!!!!!!!!