Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

General News

1 minute ago, CosbehFox said:

Complete disagree with nearly every word but won’t bore everyone with a lengthy reply. 

When you tick the box in July and then they turn out to be not what you think two months later it must be hard.

We've agreed so much recently it's a shame you're back to disagreeing with me :kissing:

27 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

When you tick the box in July and then they turn out to be not what you think two months later it must be hard.

We've agreed so much recently it's a shame you're back to disagreeing with me :kissing:

Quite the contrary to the first point. In real terms outside of the media nonsense, we have no distinct difference in day to day life. 

Irobically I type whilst sat in a building where the Tory Party Conference registration is taking place 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

Personally, I think they probably are doing the hard and unpopular stuff early.   The WFA is the RIGHT policy, it SHOULD be means tested... but maybe it needs to be tapered in the same way that UC is. Just to soften any kind of Cliff Edge. 

I know you thought his conference speech was awful, but I actually quite like the fact that he is being pragmatic and honest in terms of the state of the country. 

We all have eyes, we can see how broken everything appears to be. 

I absolutely don't regret my vote one bit.  I would 100% prefer these guys in than the blue lot and 1000% more than the turquoise lot!

I said much earlier this year (pre-election) that the previous government seemed to be deliberately running the country into the ground, knowing that they'd lose the election anyway; with the result being next government has a terrible job doing the hard work that nobody likes, barely getting the country back on its feet (if that) in five years ready for said previous government to take back the reigns in possibly a better position and all the unpopular work having been done.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Raj said:

No disrespect but only an idiot/simple minded/ or Tory would believe that the Labour party are incompetent as a Government after only 2 months.:thumbup:

Lets gauge them after a year atleast.

Only an idiot wouldn't realise that was a bit of tongue in cheek Raj  ;)

PR has been a disaster 2 months in, I agree with you, lets see in 12 months 

47 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

Personally, I think they probably are doing the hard and unpopular stuff early.   The WFA is the RIGHT policy, it SHOULD be means tested... but maybe it needs to be tapered in the same way that UC is. Just to soften any kind of Cliff Edge. 

I know you thought his conference speech was awful, but I actually quite like the fact that he is being pragmatic and honest in terms of the state of the country. 

We all have eyes, we can see how broken everything appears to be. 

I absolutely don't regret my vote one bit.  I would 100% prefer these guys in than the blue lot and 1000% more than the turquoise lot! 

What about the Green lot?

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I said much earlier this year (pre-election) that the previous government seemed to be deliberately running the country into the ground, knowing that they'd lose the election anyway; with the result being next government has a terrible job doing the hard work that nobody likes, barely getting the country back on its feet (if that) in five years ready for said previous government to take back the reigns in possibly a better position and all the unpopular work having been done.

100% agree with you.  they absolutely had a scorched earth policy!! 

Two news reports within minutes of one another. Granted, subtlty has never been a strength of US foreign policy. 

"Israel said it has secured a $8.7bn (£6.5bn) aid package from the US to support its ongoing military efforts and to maintain a qualitative military edge in the region."

"Lloyd Austin, the US secretary of defence, warned that a full scale war between Israel and Hezbollah “could be devastating for both parties” as he urged both sides to accept proposals for a 21 day ceasefire, on a trip to London to meet his British and Australian counterparts.

But the senior administration official declined an opportunity to say that there would be limits to US military support for Israel if it embarked on a ground invasion of Lebanon, focusing instead on emphasising the possible costs of full scale fighting to Jerusalem."

Edited by Zear0
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Two news reports within minutes of one another. Granted, subtly has neve been a strength of US foreign policy. 

"Israel said it has secured a $8.7bn (£6.5bn) aid package from the US to support its ongoing military efforts and to maintain a qualitative military edge in the region."

"Lloyd Austin, the US secretary of defence, warned that a full scale war between Israel and Hezbollah “could be devastating for both parties” as he urged both sides to accept proposals for a 21 day ceasefire, on a trip to London to meet his British and Australian counterparts.

But the senior administration official declined an opportunity to say that there would be limits to US military support for Israel if it embarked on a ground invasion of Lebanon, focusing instead on emphasising the possible costs of full scale fighting to Jerusalem."

I'm sure there's a meme somewhere for this.

Utterly absurd.

6 hours ago, Daggers said:

Yep, there's that. I was simply replying briefly to MPH to explain why staff don't leave - the biggest one being they still enjoy the teaching aspect, it's everything else that is now a complete shag.

Traditionally, the only alternatives offered up to teaching staff were either book sales rep, cold calling schools and enjoying virtually zero commission as a result, or placement officer for a supply teaching agency - another post with next to no prospects and minimal job fulfilment (leading to high turnover). It used to be easier when LEAs existed and offered up a wealth of education-related roles.

Social service roles are now being promoted harder to teachers as an option to build on pastoral experience (in the past the hoop to jump was in flames, lined with razor blades and had social workers squirting acid at teachers trying to navigate the jump). The downside is that social services are now in as bad a state as education and offer equal stresses - thereby offering little incentive to swap.

The best alternative for disaffected staff IMO is to teach abroad. Some regions such as the Middle East offer ridiculously good packages and the quality of life far exceeds anything UK staff experience. British and international schools abroad are growing in huge numbers now, there's a huge range of options.

She came from social services after spending 2 years their. You think teachers have it bad. Social workers have so much to deal with. The hours are longer than teachers. Most usually at hospitals waiting for doctors to complete assessments on children. She left after we had our first child. 

She loves teaching hence the reason to not just quit. 

51 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Who knows what has been going on behind the scenes regarding Lebanon. I can't see that this is beneficial in any way to Democrats. Almost certainly there's going to be war in southern Lebanon while the US votes for president. 

I think that the Israelis are trying to separate hezbollah from Hamas.  Next week is Jewish new year and in two weeks the day of atonement 

Israel will not want to be fighting in Lebanon at this time - a 14/21 day pause in fighting may suit them in this respect.  Hezbollah have stated many times that they will continue to fire rockets whilst there is no ceasefire in Gaza 

if they agree to a 3 week pause does that break this commitment?? 

there are certainly mixed messages from the Americans relating to the Israelis position. Most likely that Israel won’t publicly support a pause unless they know hezbollah are on board. The threat of a ground invasion is important to them because they believe that hezbollah don’t want this - I’m not so sure - I think they would welcome the chance to fight on their terms on their territory. 

10 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Two news reports within minutes of one another. Granted, subtlty has never been a strength of US foreign policy. 

Pretty sure that the funding is for defensive procurement - mainly air defence systems like iron dome.

of course money is money but I have read that the US admin has suspended some shipments which could be used for non defensive reasons.  This would not be the first time and usually happens when they try and exert some leverage on BN. 

Yemen launched a missile towards tel aviv around midnight. Wasn’t intercepted before several millions had been woken and sent to shelters.  Suspect we will see a large response - seems they lack intelligence re Houthis so don’t expect any ‘targeted assasinations’ - more likely a volley of weapons that go for infrastructure like ports. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sly said:

In news more local to home, Andrew Bridgen (Former Conservative MP for North West Leicestershire) has not “questioned” if the vote was rigged against him. 

He’s gone all Trump here. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/former-mp-andrew-bridgen-questioned-9581348.amp

Bridgen’s become a really sad case. Unlike Trump, I think he actually believes it. He doesn’t live in the real world anymore.

Edited by Dunge

4 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Will be less of an eyesore when it's demolished..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cq5e4n5z888t

I'm not in favour of coal power by any means, but I always quite like seeing cooling towers on the horizon.  Engineer in me likes the old fashioned industrial vibes.  If you hop off M1(N) at 23a, there's the view of EM Gateway freight depot, flights in from the airport and Ratcliffe all at once.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sly said:

In news more local to home, Andrew Bridgen (Former Conservative MP for North West Leicestershire) has not “questioned” if the vote was rigged against him. 

He’s gone all Trump here. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/former-mp-andrew-bridgen-questioned-9581348.amp

I was on a bus a few weeks ago and someone had left a copy of The Light (conspiracy theory newspaper renowned for spreading misinformation on Covid, Holocaust denial and other standard far-right talking points). There was an article on Bridgen, questioning the election results. The article was based around two very easily answerable questions:

1. Isn't it suspicious that Bridgen's vote declined so much between 2019 and 2024? Answer: No, because he was a Conservative candidate in a strongly Conservative area in 2019, and in 2024 he was no longer the Conservative candidate.

2. How come Bridgen didn't get reelected when his views are obviously right and popular? Answer: His views are wrong and unpopular.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, izzymuzzet said:

I was on a bus a few weeks ago and someone had left a copy of The Light (conspiracy theory newspaper renowned for spreading misinformation on Covid, Holocaust denial and other standard far-right talking points). There was an article on Bridgen, questioning the election results. The article was based around two very easily answerable questions:

1. Isn't it suspicious that Bridgen's vote declined so much between 2019 and 2024? Answer: No, because he was a Conservative candidate in a strongly Conservative area in 2019, and in 2024 he was no longer the Conservative candidate.

2. How come Bridgen didn't get reelected when his views are obviously right and popular? Answer: His views are wrong and unpopular.

He became a single issue MP for most of the last 2 years.   He was found guilty of lying in court in a family dispute.  He broke lobbying rules in parliament. He got kicked out of the party and THEN cosied up with Laurence Fox & his party, before falling out with them over the use of a car and "quit".  Kicked his wife and Son out of their home just before Christmas and did virtually zero door knocking other than dropping leaflets through doors. 

OTHER than that, he was a perfectly legitimate candidate. 

I'm more surprised that he actually got any votes!