Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

General News

2 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

He became a single issue MP for most of the last 2 years.   He was found guilty of lying in court in a family dispute.  He broke lobbying rules in parliament. He got kicked out of the party and THEN cosied up with Laurence Fox & his party, before falling out with them over the use of a car and "quit".  Kicked his wife and Son out of their home just before Christmas and did virtually zero door knocking other than dropping leaflets through doors. 

OTHER than that, he was a perfectly legitimate candidate. 

I'm more surprised that he actually got any votes! 

I had some correspondence with him in a work capacity about a decade ago. Not my politics at all but he was perfectly pleasant - essentially a middle of the road Midlands Tory, a solid constituency MP and fairly effective Parliamentary campaigner on a few select issues. Like a few on the right, Brexit then Covid sent him mad.

8 minutes ago, izzymuzzet said:

I had some correspondence with him in a work capacity about a decade ago. Not my politics at all but he was perfectly pleasant - essentially a middle of the road Midlands Tory, a solid constituency MP and fairly effective Parliamentary campaigner on a few select issues. Like a few on the right, Brexit then Covid sent him mad.

The populist Internet nutjob movement starting around 2016 has a lot to answer for.

15 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I think that the Israelis are trying to separate hezbollah from Hamas.  Next week is Jewish new year and in two weeks the day of atonement 

Israel will not want to be fighting in Lebanon at this time - a 14/21 day pause in fighting may suit them in this respect.  Hezbollah have stated many times that they will continue to fire rockets whilst there is no ceasefire in Gaza 

if they agree to a 3 week pause does that break this commitment?? 

there are certainly mixed messages from the Americans relating to the Israelis position. Most likely that Israel won’t publicly support a pause unless they know hezbollah are on board. The threat of a ground invasion is important to them because they believe that hezbollah don’t want this - I’m not so sure - I think they would welcome the chance to fight on their terms on their territory. 

I tend to assume that Hezbollah decided they were okay with a war when they started firing rockets into northern Israel. That's been their previous MO, provoke Israel into invading and then fight from prepared positions so that they can inflict meaningful losses on the IDF and because war inside Lebanon allows them to maximise the propaganda war. 

Of course it depends on Iran. If the Iranians want to maintain Hezbollah as a deterrent then a ceasefire makes some sense but from an Israeli perspective it would give Iran and Hezbollah 3 weeks to mobilise for a full war rather than pressing an attack after the relative success of the pager attacks and initial air strikes. 

I suppose a more likely scenario is the Israelis sticking with an air war but avoiding a ground invasion. Though I'm not a diplomat! 

I read somewhere Maggie Smith was always the first choice in Harry Potter but originally she turned it down, they took to role Helen Mirren she said "no" but then Julie Andrews she was tempted by the role but she wouldn't commit to seven film deal. They went back to Smith who said yes. So imagine Julie Andrews as professor maggie.

17 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I read somewhere Maggie Smith was always the first choice in Harry Potter but originally she turned it down, they took to role Helen Mirren she said "no" but then Julie Andrews she was tempted by the role but she wouldn't commit to seven film deal. They went back to Smith who said yes. So imagine Julie Andrews as professor maggie.

They'd all have been TERRIBLE Harrys. Glad Radcliffe got it.

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Maggie Smith as sadly passed away, fantastic actress. Certainly one of England's finest talents. Most will know her for Harry Potter and Downtown but in her early years she did a lot of west end doing Shakespeare. Build a long friendship with Kenneth Williams before his death. Rip Maggie

Great actor

I think it says a lot about how this season is going that I much prefer to come in here and read about dodgy politicians and their dodgy hair than I would  like to go in the Leicester City section of the forum..

Edited by MPH
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Just think they're targeting the wrong establishments..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c243v5m0r0lo

Low-achieving idiots larping as activists because they lack basic practical or social skills and because they want a cause to fill the emptiness in their soul. Many such people in modern Britain. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

I tend to assume that Hezbollah decided they were okay with a war when they started firing rockets into northern Israel. That's been their previous MO, provoke Israel into invading and then fight from prepared positions so that they can inflict meaningful losses on the IDF and because war inside Lebanon allows them to maximise the propaganda war. 

Of course it depends on Iran. If the Iranians want to maintain Hezbollah as a deterrent then a ceasefire makes some sense but from an Israeli perspective it would give Iran and Hezbollah 3 weeks to mobilise for a full war rather than pressing an attack after the relative success of the pager attacks and initial air strikes. 

I suppose a more likely scenario is the Israelis sticking with an air war but avoiding a ground invasion. Though I'm not a diplomat! 

Big trouble now ………

seems that Israel have attempted to take out nasrullah in his underground bunker beneath Beirut. 

that will have killed a lot of civilians 

I would have expected the bunker to be more secure than being able to be eliminated from above 

reports that 4 buildings have collapsed into the void which would surely mean hundreds of civilians killed ??

• Sad 1