Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

General News

If JSO take action to stop traffic and the use of vehicles, they are accused of not caring and being idiots, if they (do not permanently) damage "art" they are accused of being irrelevant.

How would people like them to take action to end the absurdity?

11 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

If JSO take action to stop traffic and the use of vehicles, they are accused of not caring and being idiots, if they (do not permanently) damage "art" they are accused of being irrelevant.

perhaps take their ‘ fight’ to the oil refineries who it could be argued  are the ones who actually produce the oil that they want to stop? But they won’t do that on a regular basis as there are no tv cameras around and it won’t stoke their ego.  “ ooh look at me being a nuisance “.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

He became a single issue MP for most of the last 2 years.   He was found guilty of lying in court in a family dispute.  He broke lobbying rules in parliament. He got kicked out of the party and THEN cosied up with Laurence Fox & his party, before falling out with them over the use of a car and "quit".  Kicked his wife and Son out of their home just before Christmas and did virtually zero door knocking other than dropping leaflets through doors. 

OTHER than that, he was a perfectly legitimate candidate. 

I'm more surprised that he actually got any votes! 

He turned up at mine twice.

No idea why he felt the need to canvas my area twice. 

2 hours ago, MPH said:

perhaps take their ‘ fight’ to the oil refineries who it could be argued  are the ones who actually produce the oil that they want to stop? But they won’t do that on a regular basis as there are no tv cameras around and it won’t stoke their ego.  “ ooh look at me being a nuisance “.

I still think they should get water cannoned if they block roads. 

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Not a Van Gogh fan?

5 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Stay at home 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MPH said:

It also involves commitment, effort and organisation.

5 hours ago, MPH said:

There’s literally been Greenpeace action at refineries, supply ships, oil rigs, and oil company head offices for decades - but the fact you’re ignorant to it proves how fvcking pointless it was.

• Like 2

Maybe the JSO protesters should focus their theoretically laudible campaign against fossil fuel usage more towards the impact that it has on the planet as a whole. For example, the thought of vast icebergs breaking away from Antarctica, as a result of global warming due to burning of fossil fuels, and the devastating consequences that has for emporer penguins, is far more likely to make me think twice about my eco-credentials than the mindless vandalism of a famous oil(!) painting.

11 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Maybe the JSO protesters should focus their theoretically laudible campaign against fossil fuel usage more towards the impact that it has on the planet as a whole. For example, the thought of vast icebergs breaking away from Antarctica, as a result of global warming due to burning of fossil fuels, and the devastating consequences that has for emporer penguins, is far more likely to make me think twice about my eco-credentials than the mindless vandalism of a famous oil(!) painting.

They did.

It didn't work.

cq_cxr798a-4l0zoyqecoancl9rkdfa2vw.jpg

kv_en_02.jpg

5ad5ae6a7fa44c2500000c57.width-1440_VXUrQPL5clclhaQX.jpg

OIP.jpeg

1992 Greenpeace _HAT_1_43_10_.jpg

krill-macro.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daggers said:

They did.

It didn't work.

cq_cxr798a-4l0zoyqecoancl9rkdfa2vw.jpg

kv_en_02.jpg

5ad5ae6a7fa44c2500000c57.width-1440_VXUrQPL5clclhaQX.jpg

OIP.jpeg

1992 Greenpeace _HAT_1_43_10_.jpg

krill-macro.jpg

Yeah, it's ineffective. So is chucking the soup.

I think this discussion cropped up before on the Tech thread and it ended with us both (or maybe just me) being called out for justifying terrorism. :D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

Not a Van Gogh fan?

There are litterally millions of copies of that piece of art, that most of us couldnt tell from the original... People laughed at the whole NFT scam which is no different to the art scam.

Im just amazed that people are more outraged about soup being put on a picture... than they are about the total destruction of the planet as we know it.

but yeh.. whatever

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

There are litterally millions of copies of that piece of art, that most of us couldnt tell from the original... People laughed at the whole NFT scam which is no different to the art scam.

Im just amazed that people are more outraged about soup being put on a picture... than they are about the total destruction of the planet as we know it.

but yeh.. whatever

I do find the whole fine art thing weird.

This is the original, it's worth £50m, that is an exact copy, it's worth next to nothing. Yet the skill of doing the copy is just as much as the original and it looks just like the original.

Also, it's not the artist getting the money either.

Whilst I'm not saying that art doesn't have it's worth, I have bits and pieces I've bought for a few hundred, your NFT comparison is not without substance.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I do find the whole fine art thing weird.

This is the original, it's worth £50m, that is an exact copy, it's worth next to nothing. Yet the skill of doing the copy is just as much as the original and it looks just like the original.

Also, it's not the artist getting the money either.

Whilst I'm not saying that art doesn't have it's worth, I have bits and pieces I've bought for a few hundred, your NFT comparison is not without substance.

It's the basic Adam Smith idea of the market working. "Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it".

Or it shows rather clearly just how blatant and corrupt a front for money laundering the "fine art" world is.

Or both.

Take your pick.

• Like 1

Art = art

Throwing soup at art = art

Art covered in soup = art

Art with bits broken of it = art

Art ravaged by centuries = art

43 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

but yeh.. whatever

People who, by and large, absolutely never visit galleries

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Art = art

People who, by and large, absolutely never visit galleries

I agree with Van Gogh's own definition of art: 'Art is to console those who are broken by life'.

How right he was, although I'd widen the definition of art to include the arts generally.  

46 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Art = art

People who, by and large, absolutely never visit galleries = a work of art

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

There’s literally been Greenpeace action at refineries, supply ships, oil rigs, and oil company head offices for decades - but the fact you’re ignorant to it proves how fvcking pointless it was.

Well firstly my issue was with JSO  not greenpeace so my point was very relevant really,  and the reason being for exactly the reasons you mentioned actually, lol  I used to be a member of  greenpeace. Ended up sending them quite a bit of money in my twenties., so nice try..  and the thing I loved about them is exactly that. They’d take the  fight to  to the actual problem and not seek out the tv cameras… whaling was a big concern of theirs when I was a member.. and they’d try to stop  stop the whaling ships without seeking out the tv cameras..

so again, actually my point was dead on accurate and you’ve jumped the gun a bit here,  chap.

Edited by MPH