Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Adam Hložek - signed for Hoffenheim

4 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

I’d rather our main striker wasn’t someone who sometimes plays there but also plays midfield.

Would like to think we would get an out and out striker as well as this. 

I don't think Cooper wants an out and out striker. I think, like Enzo, he wants someone who can come deep and contribute. Plus, if we need to through on a goalscorer, having Vardy in a reduced capacity will help everyone involved. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimJams said:

A second striker is fine if Cooper wants his wide players to attack the box and get into scoring positions from wide.  Only thing is he hasn't had them playing that way in pre-season.

If he’s second striker he’ll also have a #9. I think he needs one. He really looks like he drifts to create space for others and has a good decisive passing range 

1 hour ago, Guppys Love Child said:

I don't think l'd be too upset with that starting against Spuds

Buonnanote isn’t a 10. He’s an 8 

51 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

2 years ago he was quite possibly in the top 3 biggest prospects in Europe from outside the top 5 European leagues.

It's not gone hugely well for him at Leverkusen and part of that is he's been left behind in a side that has shot the lights out. Is that a concern? It certainly shouldn't be ignored, it's a league that favours creative forwards like Hlozek over pace merchants like the Prem and yet it's just not worked for him.

I think them doing so well has also made him gettable for a modest fee, which to me makes this such a tempting deal.

Ability wise, he has everything none of our other strikers have had in recent years, including Vardy. He's powerful, his 1st touch is excellent, he carries the ball well, he holds it up and links play. He can take players on, he can finish, he has the technical ability our forward line isn't overly blessed with.

Curiously I could see him being ideal behind Daka in a carefully put together system, that's the sort of creative forward Daka thrives alongside, like he did at Salzburg.

Can he be the 9 on his own? He can if we deploy 2-3 runners around him such as Zaha/Mavididi/Fatawu. I could see that working extremely well.

I agree -he’s not a 9, which is why we need Fodis as well and then have 2 of the 3 you listed also be runners. I do worry about Zaha a little. He and Stephy want to play in same space Stephy liked being main man. Also Zaha isn’t a presser so what does that do to us defensively? That was a huge part of our success last season but clearly we’ve lost the player who was key to that (KDH) cc: @StriderHiryu

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimJams said:

A second striker is fine if Cooper wants his wide players to attack the box and get into scoring positions from wide.  Only thing is he hasn't had them playing that way in pre-season.

That's a bit of a worry then? He's leaving it a bit late to get his system and thoughts across. Couldn't he have still done that with what he'd got, Mavidivi and Fatawu seemed pretty good at that last season. Perhaps we could send him a video? 

21 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Just doing some digging comparing Hlozek’s 21/22 season at Sparta to Ioannidis’s 23/24 season at Panathinaikos, plenty of similarities to some key statistics...

Dribbles per90

Hlozek - 5.04

Ioannidis - 5.42

Progressive Runs per90

Hlozek - 2.23

Ioannidis - 2.00

Smart Passes per90

Hlozek - 1.01

Ioannidis - 0.98

Key Passes per90

Hlozek - 0.73

Ioannidis - 0.77

Accurate Back Passes(Indication of link up play)

Hlozek - 93.02%

Ioannidis - 95.35%

Yet more evidence that we’ve clearly targeted a certain type of player, someone that will not only get us up the pitch through dribbling and ball carrying ability, but also have the skill set to drop deep and operate pretty much like a 10. 

Great info, which I think does suggest it will be 1 or the other, not both signing.

1 hour ago, HoustonFox said:

If he’s second striker he’ll also have a #9. I think he needs one. He really looks like he drifts to create space for others and has a good decisive passing range 

Buonnanote isn’t a 10. He’s an 8 

I agree -he’s not a 9, which is why we need Fodis as well and then have 2 of the 3 you listed also be runners. I do worry about Zaha a little. He and Stephy want to play in same space Stephy liked being main man. Also Zaha isn’t a presser so what does that do to us defensively? That was a huge part of our success last season but clearly we’ve lost the player who was key to that (KDH) cc: @StriderHiryu

Whoever will play upfront will be expected to drop deep to join the play, just like the striker did last season. So they are essentially a false 9 so the 10's can run past them, they drag the strikers up field.

This kind of move:

giphy.webp

This is why I could see Hlozek being the striker, because I think he has the skill set to do that. In fact, all of the forwards (Ionnidis, Zaha, Hlozek, Bergwijn) we've been linked with could do it, and it's also why Mavidid was put up top before Tom Cannon. Whether you agree with it or not, that's the way we are trying to play, and there have been examples of Daka operating this way already in Cooper's games.

Here's a quick clip:

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxkR8tlpGa5U2niFDSoWmnW-T-wmv8GS1J

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Whoever will play upfront will be expected to drop deep to join the play, just like the striker did last season. So they are essentially a false 9 so the 10's can run past them, they drag the strikers up field.

This kind of move:

giphy.webp

This is why I could see Hlozek being the striker, because I think he has the skill set to do that. In fact, all of the forwards (Ionnidis, Zaha, Hlozek, Bergwijn) we've been linked with could do it, and it's also why Mavidid was put up top before Tom Cannon. Whether you agree with it or not, that's the way we are trying to play, and there have been examples of Daka operating this way already in Cooper's games.

Here's a quick clip:

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxkR8tlpGa5U2niFDSoWmnW-T-wmv8GS1J

Which is why I'm more than happy with Zaha. Him running beyond Hlozek could be very good. He's more composed infront of goal than Mavididi and Fatawu currently. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scotch said:

Which is why I'm more than happy with Zaha. Him running beyond Hlozek could be very good. He's more composed infront of goal than Mavididi and Fatawu currently. 

Very much agree with you. Zaha himself could even play as the false 9, though I feel he'd be less effective there. But he player as a striker for Palace and as he has a tendancy to drift, there are attributes that would suit his game.

100% he's got the composure. For me he's the most exciting player we've been linked to because he's the only one I think would get to double figures over the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HybridFox said:

Can't wait to see Birch read out his name lol

I’m looking forward to Dave, Chris and Brian’s pronunciation on western boulevard walking home from the game after he’s missed a sitter 

15 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Very much agree with you. Zaha himself could even play as the false 9, though I feel he'd be less effective there. But he player as a striker for Palace and as he has a tendancy to drift, there are attributes that would suit his game.

100% he's got the composure. For me he's the most exciting player we've been linked to because he's the only one I think would get to double figures over the season.

For me it would depend on the opposition. In a match that we expect to have some decent possession, Hlozek playing that role makes sense but in a game against the top 6 where we will look to counter, Zaha makes more sense with Mavididi and Fatawu in a front three and an extra CM. 

(Not accounting for Vardy ofcourse)

1 hour ago, Scotch said:

Not according to any Brighton fan that I've seen talk about him...

Not according to my Brighton supporting mates. 

I guess we are at an impasse my friend… 🤣

Edited by HoustonFox