Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Political Podcasts

Listened to Rory Stewart and Alistair Campbell’s Leading podcast - the recent episodes with David Davies and Nick Clegg.

Thought Davies came across really poorly and manipulative and was trying to sell himself as some predictive genius who was never wrong and was behind the scenes at all the pivotal moments.

But Clegg actually came across better than I thought, even though I’ll probably never forgive him.

Does anyone listen to other ones?

• Like 1

Really like Stewart and Campbell, I always learn loads listening to them. I thought Teressa May came across well with them tbf and also the Birmingham and Manchester Mayor's were a good listen.

Not so keen on US version with Katty Kay and Scaramoochie. She's a bit over excitable for me and asks a dozen questions in a row. She needs to slow down, shut up, and listen more.

I often watch James O'Brien's podcasts/interviews on YT. Just ordered his book 'How they broke Britain'

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Really like Stewart and Campbell, I always learn loads listening to them. I thought Teressa May came across well with them tbf and also the Birmingham and Manchester Mayor's were a good listen.

Not so keen on US version with Katty Kay and Scaramoochie. She's a bit over excitable for me and asks a dozen questions in a row. She needs to slow down, shut up, and listen more.

I often watch James O'Brien's podcasts/interviews on YT. Just ordered his book 'How they broke Britain'

Got a few books by James O'Brien, all really good

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Listened to Rory Stewart and Alistair Campbell’s Leading podcast - the recent episodes with David Davies and Nick Clegg.

Thought Davies came across really poorly and manipulative and was trying to sell himself as some predictive genius who was never wrong and was behind the scenes at all the pivotal moments.

But Clegg actually came across better than I thought, even though I’ll probably never forgive him.

Just listened to the David Davis episode and I largely agree with you. He's quite a likeable bloke in some ways but you can see why he never made high office. He just doesn't have sufficient command of the detail.

On other podcasts, I'm a huge fan of Political Currency with Ed Balls and George Osborne. I was very sceptical before listening as I didn't think the world needed another podcast with two ex politicians from the centre of their parties largely agreeing with each other. What differentiates it from the rest is their honesty and willingness to admit mistakes. They also go into a lot of detail about the nuts and bolts of policymaking, particularly fiscal policy.

Very different but also enjoyable is Past Present Future. It's quite academic and the strength of the episodes largely depends on the guests. They recently had an interesting series on political fiction - the episode with Helen Lewis talking about To Kill A Mocking Bird is great if you're into that sort of thing. Before the general election they had a series on previous 'change' elections, starting with 1906.

The FT Politics podcast is always a good (and relatively short) listen, particularly if Stephen Bush is on.

Finally, if you're into American politics, I can recommend Know Your Enemy. It's a deep dive into conservative and Republican thinking from two guys broadly on the left, one of which is a former Republican. They have a nice way of delving deep into history to explain what's happening in the Republican party now.

43 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I just finished the Clegg episodes today, very enjoyable although they really need more time to explore what he said. 

I listen to The News Agents, excellent and well put together. 

Alistair Campbell was an after dinner speaker at an event I went to earlier in the year, he was really good and engaging, few gags got lots of laughs and some others a bit flat - this was pre GE so he was plugging the labour party as expected but it wasn't a hard sell. 

Willam Hague was the year before - a bit before my time but found him facinating, he got a standing ovation.

the Wes Streeting and Angela Rayner episodes are a good listen... in fact, I'd argue any of the ones that are longer form interviewing a person are interesting.  at least you get to learn abit about the character of the MP in question. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

I listen to The Rest is Politics but not Leading. 

How Rory and Alistair pronounced migraines "megraines" the other day made me want to scream though.

I've listened to every single one of the main podcast episodes which has probably turned me into the ultimate centrist Dad or something

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Yeah Theresa May came across much better than I expected too even if I still profoundly disagree with her on Brexit. John Major also came across well. I’d like them to interview Cameron at some point to see if he profoundly regrets everything. The Clegg one was interesting because you can tell there’s certain stuff he regrets and other stuff he was kind of making excuses for. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Yeah Theresa May came across much better than I expected too even if I still profoundly disagree with her on Brexit. John Major also came across well. I’d like them to interview Cameron at some point to see if he profoundly regrets everything. The Clegg one was interesting because you can tell there’s certain stuff he regrets and other stuff he was kind of making excuses for. 

I'll be amazed if they get Cameron on as a guest.

Rory Stewart was quite dismissive of him in his book I thought and clearly isn't a fan. 

• Thanks 1

I’l join in on the Rest is Politics love in, they’re both very engaging and open and have really highlighted the utter lack of class at the top of politics in this country in recent years. 

I don’t listen to that many of the Leading interviews, but I listened to the Kwasi Kwarteng one recently. I was very surprised at how well he came across, the benefit of a long form interview is it gives a chance for a persons real character to come through, both strength and flaws. Short interviews where people have to deliver a message only seems to bring out flaws.

I listen to the US podcast but find them both very grating. The insight they give, as someone who isn’t that tuned in to US politics, is very good though and makes it worth a listen. 

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Clegg probably won’t give a **** about his reputation, he’s been coining it in since leaving office. 

News Agents is also well worth a listen. Different slant as it's hosted by ex hacks. 

Plus a chance to admire the marvellous Emily Maitlis. 

Edited by Zear0

8 hours ago, Daggers said:

The News Agents is the only one I regularly listen to because Maitlis is one of the best journalists this country has ever produced. 

Also she is lovely.  I listed to the Newsagents a lot, however someone I saw described it as a little smug, and I can't shake that thought now.

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

Also she is lovely.  I listed to the Newsagents a lot, however someone I saw described it as a little smug, and I can't shake that thought now.

Some people don't like able, intelligent, confident, witty women. Says a lot about them to describe her like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

Some people don't like able, intelligent, confident, witty women. Says a lot about them to describe her like that.

Not her as such but the combination of them.  I like the way they interact as a three.  Also i think being free of the BBC to give person views is a lot more interesting.  Newscast is dull in comparison.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Not her as such but the combination of them.  I like the way they interact as a three.  Also i think being free of the BBC to give person views is a lot more interesting.  Newscast is dull in comparison.

Ha! Newscast is the most lumbering, self-satisfied barrel of smug! lol Literally hate them all, mainly for their ever unchallenged client journalism on behalf of the Tories.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I agree with this, it does come across a bit sometimes as the three of them reveling in all the insight they have, which in fairness, they do have a lot of

• Like 1