Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Premier League 2024/25

49 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Isn't the "new" rule that they can only amortise a fee over 5 years? There's no actual restriction on the length of a contract? 

That said, there's no sensible reason for either a player or a club to commit to 9 years so there's obviously some sort of shenanigans going on you'd imagine. 

Having literally just spoken about trust, paranoia and conspiracy theories I'd love to say something to the contrary but given how Chelsea have operated in the last couple years you'd have to imagine their must be some accounting creativity behind that decision? 

I don't think it's particularly shenanigans, I think the idea is to protect the players value beyond the 5 years of amortisation. They're all young players really, probably be 27/28 when the 5 years is up, so they'll be paid for whilst still having long contracts so still have value in their prime years and effectively sales are like selling your academy players. 100% profit on the books then.

Fxxked if the players turn out to be shit on big wages but apparently the new Chelsea contracts are heavily incentivised.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimJams said:

I don't think it's particularly shenanigans, I think the idea is to protect the players value beyond the 5 years of amortisation. They're all young players really, probably be 27/28 when the 5 years is up, so they'll be paid for whilst still having long contracts so still have value in their prime years and effectively sales are like selling your academy players. 100% profit on the books then.

Fxxked if the players turn out to be shit on big wages but apparently the new Chelsea contracts are heavily incentivised.

Yeah but he's not Messi, it's just Nicholas Jackson. I'm not sure his value needs "protecting." I think he's decent but they can't possibly belive they've found the next Drogba or Lewandowski. 

More likely they'll want to upgrade in the next couple years and they'll find it hard to get him off their books. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah but he's not Messi, it's just Nicholas Jackson. I'm not sure his value needs "protecting." I think he's decent but they can't possibly belive they've found the next Drogba or Lewandowski. 

More likely they'll want to upgrade in the next couple years and they'll find it hard to get him off their books. 

just a thought. I could be hugely wrong but wonder if its actually say 5 years with a club sided option for 4 addition years? would offer the club protection

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

True, but that's where the incentivised contracts will come in.  That and hotels....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Something died a little in me in the last year of Brendan Rodgers and it hasn't really come back. 

I'm finding it very hard to love football these days. 

I used to watch Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1 all the time, was constantly on the BT app watching highlights, would watch multiple Champions and Europa League games every round, be glued to every international summer tournament. 

Barely watched any football at all last year other than Leicester. I told myself I was just sulking because we got relegated but I absolutely don't give a shit now we're back up either. 

As you are no doubt aware you are not alone in your diminishing love of the game, l firmly believe its the same thing ruining our game as ruins virtually everything else, money, greed and the desire for power and influence.

Those that run the game love to feel that they can make changes - "improvements" which as night follows day are ill thought out and inevitably make the game worse.

I too used to watch lots of games but now l often tune out after a few minutes - I'm of the generation that didn't cheat at sport or feign injury so that aspect of the game also makes me turn off too.

Watching the Olympics makes me realise that true sportsmanship still exists and watching the Rugby WC that behaving like an adult is not dead.

Sadly football is becoming less of a fair, competitive sport with each passing season.

• Like 1

After we won the league,  went to Europe,  won the fa cup and that last BR season really made me see that what we witnessed was the greatest city period ever. Our subsequent downfall (and ffp)  have made me feel MEH about football. 

I will admit that when I became a dad 11.5 years ago my days of watching lots of football went down the drain. It was city games only.

Now, I am so bored of football and not just because we have fallen a bit but rather that outside of our 1 epl champion season, things have fallen back to how they were. Same bloody teams always at the top. Same midtable crap and relegation dogfights. Whether you are Fulham, Brentford,  Southampton, us, leeds, Burnley etc the reality is we have 0 hope for any real success.

Pundits are always former top 6 club players who ejaculate when their former teams score. The bias is unreal . They really shove top 6 down your throat.oh and **** VAR.

Hate to admit this, but championship, league 1 , league 2 have dog fights in them. Never know how things will shake down. It's like the 10/10 sexy lady vs the solid 6/10. Sure, not as sexy but a much better shag. I fully expect comments on this part lol.

I don't want to be in the lower leagues, I just want things to be more even, more likely that any of the epl teams stand a great chance at winning some time in their life. Not in 20 years but maybe this year or next.

We cry together, we celebrate together, we call each other cvnts but we love the club so much that we overlook the bleak future.

We need to see hard salary caps, contract limits, harsh punishments for unsettling players, capping player hoarding/loaning. Make it more even. Heck, if we get relegated I don't care so long as we see change and who wins the epl. Would be nice to see others win instead of the same old borefest.

Fecking off to  bed now lol.

• Like 2

They must have excellent negotiators.

It's like selling an unproven green apple from a tree to a buyer and winning the buyer over by saying that it's going to be the tastiest one they've ever had in their life for an over-inflated price..

8 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

They must have excellent negotiators.

It's like selling an unproven green apple from a tree to a buyer and winning the buyer over by saying that it's going to be the tastiest one they've ever had in their life for an over-inflated price..

Yeah either that or it’s all corrupt 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Isn't the "new" rule that they can only amortise a fee over 5 years? There's no actual restriction on the length of a contract? 

That said, there's no sensible reason for either a player or a club to commit to 9 years so there's obviously some sort of shenanigans going on you'd imagine. 

Having literally just spoken about trust, paranoia and conspiracy theories I'd love to say something to the contrary but given how Chelsea have operated in the last couple years you'd have to imagine their must be some accounting creativity behind that decision? 

There's definitely something weird going on with it.

Surely the entire point of having players on a 7+ year contract is that you don't need to give into to wage demands because you've got all the control. A player can't run his contract down for 5/6 years without massively jeopardising his career. So why does Jackson need a 2 year extension to his 7 year deal after 15 minutes of reasonable form?

If I were Boehly and Jackson knocked on my door asking for a raise then I would just tell him to do one and prove his value over numerous seasons. Chelsea gain nothing from it.

• Like 1

Talk Sport doing a section on why we should have a game abroad each season and, surprise surprise, it's an American telling us how we need to do it.

But Americanisation of the sport isn't happening. 

His reasoning was golden - NFL teams tolerate it because it means they get more money and that way the smaller clubs (and he mentioned us as one of them) have a chance of winning the league. That's why the Premier League should do it.

The whole league need to **** off American owners post haste. The ONLY benefit of this would be owners and the big six. Talk Sport ought to feel embarrassed for allowing these folks a platform.

Chelsea hotel sale cleared by Premier League
The hotels at Stamford Bridge

Chelsea cashed in on their hotels in order to meet Premier League finance rules

Nizaar Kinsella
BBC Sport football news reporter
Published
4 September 2024
Chelsea have been cleared by the Premier League for the sale of two hotels to a sister company to keep them compliant with profit and sustainability rules.

The Blues published their accounts in April, revealing the sale of the Millennium and Copthorne hotels next to Stamford Bridge for £76.5m in an effort to help them avoid a potential £166.4m loss, reducing it to an allowable £89.9m for the financial year.

The hotels changed ownership from Chelsea FC Holdings Ltd to BlueCo 22 Properties Ltd, two companies under the control of the Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital ownership.

The sales have since been ratified by the Premier League under what is termed a 'fair market valuation' under the league's associated-party transaction rules.

Whether the £76.5m value has been changed is unclear but Chelsea have maintained their confidence in adhering to PSR rules that permitted clubs to have a maximum of £105m in losses over a three-year period as certain costs for infrastructure, academy and women's football are allowed to be deducted.

Such transactions are not allowed in Uefa competitions, with Chelsea back in Europe in the Conference League this season, and in the English Football League after they closed the loophole in 2021, but the Premier League opted against following suit.

The Premier League remains open to closing the loophole through a future vote.

An attempt to ban such transactions within the league was most recently attempted by Premier League members in June but only a reported 11 clubs supported the idea, with a minimum of 14 needed required to vote through a change to the regulations.

Senior staff within Chelsea and the controlling Clearlake Capital ownership believe they will be compliant with financial rules for the 2024-25 season.

The club is set to earn significant financial reward for taking part in the Club World Cup next summer.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, davieG said:

Chelsea hotel sale cleared by Premier League
The hotels at Stamford Bridge

Chelsea cashed in on their hotels in order to meet Premier League finance rules

Nizaar Kinsella
BBC Sport football news reporter
Published
4 September 2024
Chelsea have been cleared by the Premier League for the sale of two hotels to a sister company to keep them compliant with profit and sustainability rules.

The Blues published their accounts in April, revealing the sale of the Millennium and Copthorne hotels next to Stamford Bridge for £76.5m in an effort to help them avoid a potential £166.4m loss, reducing it to an allowable £89.9m for the financial year.

The hotels changed ownership from Chelsea FC Holdings Ltd to BlueCo 22 Properties Ltd, two companies under the control of the Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital ownership.

The sales have since been ratified by the Premier League under what is termed a 'fair market valuation' under the league's associated-party transaction rules.

Whether the £76.5m value has been changed is unclear but Chelsea have maintained their confidence in adhering to PSR rules that permitted clubs to have a maximum of £105m in losses over a three-year period as certain costs for infrastructure, academy and women's football are allowed to be deducted.

Such transactions are not allowed in Uefa competitions, with Chelsea back in Europe in the Conference League this season, and in the English Football League after they closed the loophole in 2021, but the Premier League opted against following suit.

The Premier League remains open to closing the loophole through a future vote.

An attempt to ban such transactions within the league was most recently attempted by Premier League members in June but only a reported 11 clubs supported the idea, with a minimum of 14 needed required to vote through a change to the regulations.

Senior staff within Chelsea and the controlling Clearlake Capital ownership believe they will be compliant with financial rules for the 2024-25 season.

The club is set to earn significant financial reward for taking part in the Club World Cup next summer.

I guess there's nothing to stop them selling the hotel back to the club and then the club selling it back every season lol

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I guess there's nothing to stop them selling the hotel back to the club and then the club selling it back every season lol

Funny idea, but I suppose there is something to stop them. 

Chelsea FC would have to purchase the hotels 'at fair market value' and then sell them again 'at fair market value' 

Doing so again and again would be harder to make any sort of 'profit' in the accounts. It would only work if Chelsea FC could purchase the hotels at a nominal or non-fair market value, but the PL would have to ratify that - and wouldn't. 

5 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Funny idea, but I suppose there is something to stop them. 

Chelsea FC would have to purchase the hotels 'at fair market value' and then sell them again 'at fair market value' 

Doing so again and again would be harder to make any sort of 'profit' in the accounts. It would only work if Chelsea FC could purchase the hotels at a nominal or non-fair market value, but the PL would have to ratify that - and wouldn't. 

I would have through that if the club purchases the hotel back, it would be classed  as an infrastructure investment and therefore not count towards PSR. Whereas if they sell it, it's income from the club, so that £80m can be used to count towards it.

So I imagine, in theory, they could just keep selling it and buying it at £80m and adding the money to artificially boost their income for PSR calculations.

@st albans fox you seem to know a fair bit about this. Is my plan for Chelsea practical or am I missing something? :D

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not sure where else to put this but sadly so many fans, either of Villa or other clubs including our own, can relate to this post form a Villa fan. It resonates on so many levels about the disconnect between owners and fans, and how fans are being priced out of the game they once used to love... 

I feel this blokes pain.  Their champions league ticket prices are an absolute joke.