Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Tottenham (H) - Mon 19 Aug 8pm - Pre-Match Thread

56 minutes ago, NJFox said:

Just had a fox run in front of me and the dogs on our morning walk…I’ll accept it as a good omen for Monday that it wasn’t a mangy fox.

Grasping at straws for pre-match optimism.

You didn't see the Cockerel running after it !!

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

I saw what I saw. One of them was wearing a tiny silver backpack and seemed to keep falling over. 

Was there a cockerel that looked unfit, gormless, always with it’s mouth open, that looked like it was supposed to be leading the line but kept dropping back into midfield? 

(I have a hunch he’ll be back and playing in England by the end of the January window)

• Like 1

Based on a bizarre pre season I’m going to take a guess at Cooper’s formation v Spursy. He seems to love a player or two out of position. 

GK Mads

RB Justin

CD Faes

CD Okoli

LWB VK

CM Winks

CM Hamza

CM Ndidi

RW BDCR

LW Fatawu

CF Mavididi

I’d play

GK Mads

RB (inverted) Ricardo

Faes

Vesty

Justin

CDM Winks

No 8 Ndidi

No 8 Buonanotte

RW Fatawu 

LW Mavididi

CF Cannon 

Both teams will lose but my one will do it with a bit more attacking intent and a bit more hope. 😂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, woollett the bullet said:

Unfortunately  after this  game , Spurs will likely be top of the premier league  on goal difference :thumbup:

Thanks for that thought - it's really made my day :P Still, at least they'll only be on top for a week? :P 

44 minutes ago, woollett the bullet said:

Unfortunately  after this  game , Spurs will likely be top of the premier league  on goal difference :thumbup:

Arsenal will get more goals against wolves then spurs against Leicester 

3 hours ago, MPH said:

I don’t think I’ve ever gone into a season before feeling this flat. I’m usually on the front seat of the optimistic bus!

Me too. Even in the really miserable old days, Levin etc, I started the season with optimism, a 'this year we might be good' outlook. 

I want to be wrong but, I can't see anything other than utter misery this season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

Based on a bizarre pre season I’m going to take a guess at Cooper’s formation v Spursy. He seems to love a player or two out of position. 

GK Mads

RB Justin

CD Faes

CD Okoli

LWB VK

CM Winks

CM Hamza

CM Ndidi

RW BDCR

LW Fatawu

CF Mavididi

I’d play

GK Mads

RB (inverted) Ricardo

Faes

Vesty

Justin

CDM Winks

No 8 Ndidi

No 8 Buonanotte

RW Fatawu 

LW Mavididi

CF Cannon 

Both teams will lose but my one will do it with a bit more attacking intent and a bit more hope. 😂

That midfield should come with a parental warning.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I assume this has been provided to make up for the lack of goals during pre-season 😂

Alves features a lot in these 👍

They're scoring at will against Ward. False sense of security that...

• Haha 2

Just now, JimJams said:

A quick glance on the FPL doesn't have either as suspended.

Yeah I think it is wrong as I can't even remember Faes getting sent off and sure booking points get wiped off. 

56 minutes ago, BillyFOX12 said:

Buzzin' for this now actually. Did me some good watching Everton and Ipswich today-

People don't realise how average the bottom 5 or 6 teams are in the PL.

We are competing against them, not the rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Time for the Pre-Match preview!

This season, I have started a YouTube channel and will be posting full videos on there as speaking through things and using examples is a LOT easier to do than typing things on the forum. However, old habbits die hard, so I will post a few things on here too!

Spurs will be a tough test for us given our current team and squad. Ange plays a very specific system that means we know almost exactly what to expect:

giphy.gif

^ Spurs invert both their fullbacks into number 8 positions. This gives them a defensive "box" to build with and defend on transition, with potentially 6 men forwards in attack. The system gives them 6 men in attack if they can get the ball forwards:

tRHF86l.png

^ Here they are up against Liverpool who have a 5 man press against their 4 man build-up structure. But we also see their inverted fullbacks providing additional passing opportunities to generate attacking superiorities. I have also shown an area of weakness. If we can turn the ball over, there are gaps on either side and with our fast and talented wingers, this gives us a potential attacking angle to exploit if we can win the ball back. It is a big if though!

wx0QRaP.png

^ Ange has totally transformed Spurs from a "sit back and soak it up" team under Nuno, Conte and Mourinho to a front-footed one. In fact last season, Spurs made the most attacking turnovers by any team in the league, more even than Klopp's Liverpool. They have pace in attack and will make it hard to play out from the back. Vestergaard may well sit this one out because of his lack of pace, though I worry somewhat without him or Ricardo in the team, as this severely impacts our ability to play through the press.

I think the game has a few key battles that could determine how the game goes.

YLLagdS.png

QzJl2da.png

In pre-season when we build, Ndidi pushes forwards, leaving Harry Winks as the sole pivot to receive, turn and make things happen. He's a great player, but this means that teams will target him as the key man to stop our build-up. Maddison has been great at pressing after being coached to do that by Rodgers when he was here, so he will be the one who is tasked to hunt him down and try to stop Winks. If Winks can get out of his press, it will act as a way to unlock Spurs, but if Maddison has the better of Winks, we will be in for a long day. We may also decide to tell Ndidi to be more conservative and make sure Winks has protection, which IMO would be the more sensible and pragmatic way to go.

0ruzp9n.png

GzKNvkT.png

Yves Bissouma has been left out of this game for an internal discipline breach. This means that either Archie Gray or Lucas Bergvall will probably come into the team as a number 6. I expect Gray given the fee paid for him, and think this is a battle that Ndidi will be selected for and possibly one that he could win. Ndidi can win the physical battle, and we could set pressing triggers and traps to lure Spurs into passing into Gray and try to target him.

Spurs have by far the superior team and squad, and I haven't mentioned Son, Kulusevski or Solanke here (but do in the video) which is a formidable frontline. Despite that with Hermansen's distribution and two good wingers, I'd give us a chance, even though I sadly expect a pretty routine win for Spurs.

If you do watch the video, please let me know what you think about it, I would appreciate the like / subscribe / comment tripple threat!

You can also follow the channel on Twitter too, even if it's a horrific social network!

@ForFoxSakeTV

:scarf:Come on you Fantastic Foxes! :scarf:

You're a bit older and better looking than I imagined :D

• Haha 1