Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The curious case of Ricardo Pereira

10 hours ago, sm1 said:

If Cooper wants to get rid of Ricky because of his highish wages, so he can get the likes of Jordan Ayew in, he's a total idiot.

I meant it be Rudkin not Cooper.

Rudkin only seems capable of shifting our best players.

Paying for Ayew out of Ricky's wages though yeah would be daft.  I am not even convinced he has that high wages as he renewed during a very unstable injury period.

12 hours ago, Guest said:

I'm really not convinced he has the physical attributes Cooper wants from his either his full backs or his midfielders

I'm hoping the reason is more along these lines and, as others have suggested, JJ was seen as the best option against Son. Against other opponents the it may be that Riccie is seen as the better alternative.  There is also the consideration that Ricci has to be handled with care given the effect of his previous injuries. We will just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

Surely just using Ricky as a plain midfielder has to be a consideration? Him not having to be a genuine fullback is probably what saved his hamstrings last season plus he's got more than enough quality to back it up.

7 hours ago, deep blue said:

I'm hoping the reason is more along these lines and, as others have suggested, JJ was seen as the best option against Son. Against other opponents the it may be that Riccie is seen as the better alternative.  There is also the consideration that Ricci has to be handled with care given the effect of his previous injuries. We will just have to wait and see.

Ricky could probably drop into any position other than GK and improve it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It does but I just find it strange that he has been the one that's got to bide his time. He's arguably our best player.

Yeh I agree, I think Copper wants his full back to drop into a back 3 with Faes and Vestergaard when backs to the wall, Justin is more suited to that - that’s the only thing I can thing of. 

• Like 1

Maybe something is going on behind the scenes? Ricardo was Enzo’s Pet and first name on the team sheet. Perhaps he’s not showing enough positivity to being “downgraded” in Cooper’s system? Whatever the reasons, the sooner he’s back in the side the better.

41 minutes ago, damolcfc said:

Well you think you can blow millions on players with no sell on value and put them on high wages?? 

That's a skill mate ☺️

I'd get Ollie Palmer in from Wrexham on £150k a week.

4 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Cream rises to the top, I don’t think it’s a massive concern with a 50 games season, RP will take his chance when he gets it, hopefully that extra competition for his place improves both him and JJ. 

I mean Ricardo is 30 now and has been consistently excellent for us when played apart from the 4-2 at Bournemouth in his first season. We should be maximising his playing time (whilst avoiding overplaying him due to injuries) whilst we can.

We haven't had many players better than him in our history, it's such a shame to not use him when he's finally fit. 

• Like 1

We all know how good Ricardo is, and he is probably still one of, if not the best pure footballer in the squad, but his role would change completely in this Cooper side compared to Enzo, where his inverted role and our dominance in possession didn't tax his body so much. Who knows whether he still has that explosiveness in attack and recovery pace in defence that we'll be more reliant upon this season.

Cooper will pick his team based on opponents.

I expect Riccy to play plenty of games where we feel we can be more attacking.

JJ is a better 1 vs 1 defender and can play right of a three. Played well against spurs so selection justified imo 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Cooper will pick his team based on opponents.

I expect Riccy to play plenty of games where we feel we can be more attacking.

JJ is a better 1 vs 1 defender and can play right of a three. Played well against spurs so selection justified imo 

Surely we could have subbed in Ricardo instead of Soumare though. Having him as an unused option on the bench doesnt feel right.

2 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Surely we could have subbed in Ricardo instead of Soumare though. Having him as an unused option on the bench doesnt feel right.

Bit of a square peg in a round hole. 

If coops had done that and we had lost he would have been slated for the sub with a Soumare and Choudhury on the bench 

7 minutes ago, martyn said:

We all know how good Ricardo is, and he is probably still one of, if not the best pure footballer in the squad, but his role would change completely in this Cooper side compared to Enzo, where his inverted role and our dominance in possession didn't tax his body so much. Who knows whether he still has that explosiveness in attack and recovery pace in defence that we'll be more reliant upon this season.

I get what you are saying but shouldn't Cooper be building a system that fits/suits the strengths of our best players, rather than a system that doesn't?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Bit of a square peg in a round hole. 

If coops had done that and we had lost he would have been slated for the sub with a Soumare and Choudhury on the bench 

He played in midfield for us plenty of times last season and was better than Soumare and Choudhury have been there. There were quite a few games with Ricardo in midfield and Choudhury at right back even.

56 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

He played in midfield for us plenty of times last season and was better than Soumare and Choudhury have been there. There were quite a few games with Ricardo in midfield and Choudhury at right back even.

Can get away with it in the championship, against a top 6 premier league team I’m not sure