Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The curious case of Ricardo Pereira

2 minutes ago, BigGibbo said:

Seems to be suggesting he, and by extension probably Mavididi (+ any other conspicuous absentees), doesn’t give it everything in training? So work rate is his primary barometer for judging players?

Agree with your take. 

Rank bad management. Some people just don't switch on until the lights are on. Good managers know that. 

Plus, they clearly train to a certain level, otherwise they'd both been rumbled by previous managers 

It's a grotesque lack of professional respect and of leadership intuition. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Cooper really annoys me at times, he seems like the typical yes man that just wants to be liked. Could have asked him about playing Ward LB and he'd say "yeah he could probably do it its something we could consider"

He's not playing Ricardo because he doesn't fit into his current ideal RB that's a third CB, and he's not played Ricardo as a CM because he trusts Ndidi to do the role. 

I think (unfortunately) Ricardo only fits in if Cooper was to reverse the current tactic so a LB tucks in and allows a RB to basically be an attacking RWB. Don't think it's about work rate in training otherwise we'd be seeing Alves on the bench and not ****ing Soumare.

2 hours ago, RedSoxUK said:

Cooper really annoys me at times, he seems like the typical yes man that just wants to be liked. Could have asked him about playing Ward LB and he'd say "yeah he could probably do it its something we could consider"

He's not playing Ricardo because he doesn't fit into his current ideal RB that's a third CB, and he's not played Ricardo as a CM because he trusts Ndidi to do the role. 

I think (unfortunately) Ricardo only fits in if Cooper was to reverse the current tactic so a LB tucks in and allows a RB to basically be an attacking RWB. Don't think it's about work rate in training otherwise we'd be seeing Alves on the bench and not ****ing Soumare.

You have absolutely nailed why he’s not getting in to the team here in the second paragraph onwards. Amazed more aren’t realising this is the reason. 

The bit I’ve highlighted won’t happen unfortunately - Cooper doesn’t want Fatawu to drift inside and wants him to hold the width which wouldn’t make the room for Ricardo.

This is the crux of it and why he’s not getting in the team, not that I at all agree with it. Also why Enzo deploying him in the way he did last year was such a masterstroke.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

You have absolutely nailed why he’s not getting in to the team here in the second paragraph onwards. Amazed more aren’t realising this is the reason. 

The bit I’ve highlighted won’t happen unfortunately - Cooper doesn’t want Fatawu to drift inside and wants him to hold the width which wouldn’t make the room for Ricardo.

This is the crux of it and why he’s not getting in the team, not that I at all agree with it. Also why Enzo deploying him in the way he did last year was such a masterstroke.

Ricky can get away with his loss of pace against inferior championship level players.

He will be targeted and hung out to dry in the Premier league.May be more useful further up the field as a squad player,

but he's never a starting Premier League

full back.injuries have caught up with him.

37 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

Ricky can get away with his loss of pace against inferior championship level players.

He will be targeted and hung out to dry in the Premier league.May be more useful further up the field as a squad player,

JJ may have pace on Ricardo but the latter is light years ahead with his positioning and reading of the game ie he doesn't need as much pace to be better. 

A good recent example at Leicester before his demise would be Evans. Never in his whole career did he have pace but he was superior to anyone else we had.

Ricardo, because he has ability to adapt did a particular job for Maresca last year. That doesn't mean he can't return to a former position and shine. Whether his strength and fitness is up to it or not would only be known by the club. If fit though he's still way ahead of the poor JJ. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cropstonfox said:

Pace is very much overrated in modern football, if you have players who have good decent game intelligence and positional awareness. Ricky reads the game really well, JJ doesn’t. 

Cooper’s safety first approach is going to make us consistently going behind. The onus is on us soaking up pressure rather than taking the game to the opposition. JJ over Ricky is symptomatic of that. 

10 hours ago, cropstonfox said:

Remind me again which side the goals yesterday came from?

Ricardo was a mainstay in the meanest defense last season and he was a key player in controlling possession and using our '8'.

• Like 2

He spent most of the match yesterday warming up just in from of where I was sat. Mainly talking to Castagne. Judging from the body language, I don't think either Castagne or Ricardo could understand why Ricardo wasn't playing. A lot of arm waving and shoulder shrugging. 

Absolute madness he isn’t getting game time, I wonder what some of the other senior players, especially the ones who have been in and around club last season and for a few years think of the current treatment of such a popular and respected member of the squad, I have a feeling this will be creating some tension and frustration, also the insistence on not starting Mavididi, it beggars belief. 

I have a horrible feeling Riccy could leave before next weekend and funds used to invest in players that fit his criteria. 

Massive red flag to me regards Cooper,  his tactical ability and his judgement on players. 

I don't see why he can't play on the right side of midfield and link up with Fatawu and JJ and help cover both defence and attack.

He's good on the ball and would make better runs at the defences with the ball than Ndidi,  who isn't as good in possession.

I think he'd help bring Fatawu into attacking positions better. On a separate note, I do wish Abdul would stop trying too hard to bend his shots when he's beat his man. So frustrating.