Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The curious case of Ricardo Pereira

At times tonight Justin was inverting to a third CB with Fatawu filling in at RB in a back 5 when we were defending deep. That's the only reason I can see Ricardo not starting as he can't play CB.

However, Ricky P is a quality player and would help us holding possession and progressing the ball up the pitch. Needs to be somewhere in the starting 11 whether that's at full back, either wing or CM.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Mark said:

Soumare ahead of Ricsrdo now? What’s going on?

I mean they play completely different positions. We were never taking Justin off tonight as he was class. It’s going to be a long season and as we know Ricky breaks easily. Think people are overthinking things. 

• Like 1

One of the things to note, we’re not exactly the tallest of sides - certainly the first 11 wasn’t, so at least Justin, whilst not exactly tall himself, has a presence in the air.

It’s something Cooper will need to look at and consider with our transfer business, otherwise we’ll be ‘short’ when it comes to set-pieces.

It's hard to stomach Ricardo not being in the team, but to be fair to Cooper tonight:

- Justin was outstanding and pocketed Son

- Ndidi defensively was strong and allowed us to compete

Where we missed Ricardo for me was in our attempts to play our from the back. Spurs targeted Ndidi via their pressing trigger to stop our attacks in their tracks. But overall Ndidi was strong and probably got a 7/10 or more from me. So in this instance I can see the argument for not playing Ricardo, but I feel he should have been involved at least as a sub, and I still fear he will be frozen out.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I mean they play completely different positions. We were never taking Justin off tonight as he was class. It’s going to be a long season and as we know Ricky breaks easily. Think people are overthinking things. 

There is not a single position on the pitch that Soumare plays better than Ricardo (unless Soumare is secretly an excellent goalkeeper). 

• Like 1

Strange not seeing him feature tonight, almost a little sad in a weird way. I’m sure Cooper has his reasons tactically and it paid off with us getting a point. Hopefully we’ll still see him get plenty of game time as it’s hard to ignore his genuine quality. 

Hope he doesn’t end up at some team in Europe come the end of the window as I just have this odd feeling for whatever reason he’s not massively in Coopers plans. 

it’s a weird one!

58 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's hard to stomach Ricardo not being in the team, but to be fair to Cooper tonight:

- Justin was outstanding and pocketed Son

- Ndidi defensively was strong and allowed us to compete

Where we missed Ricardo for me was in our attempts to play our from the back. Spurs targeted Ndidi via their pressing trigger to stop our attacks in their tracks. But overall Ndidi was strong and probably got a 7/10 or more from me. So in this instance I can see the argument for not playing Ricardo, but I feel he should have been involved at least as a sub, and I still fear he will be frozen out.

I think Justin played more as he has the positionally flexibility to invert from RB in a back 4 to RCB in a back 5 which then allowed Fatawu to slot into RB (in a back 5).

This shape out of possession allowed us to defend our box well at times tonight when subject to extreme pressure from spurs.

It then appears Cooper favoured playing a left footer at left back against Brenan Johnson who is right footed (very unusual in the modern game to have an actual right footer on the right wing). This worked very well in the second half and stopped Johnson going on the outside onto his favoured right foot.

I suspect Ricardo will play more this season when facing other types of sides / players. He's still the most skillful and clever player in our squad for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

Worried about Cooper - Soumare before Ricky - that’s Brendan fuching idiocy 

....  you posted that at 2315?   After a draw against Spurs?

Do you need a reality check?