Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The curious case of Ricardo Pereira

There is a few things to consider here, Cooper doesn’t use the inverted full back in the same way Enzo did, and tends to use his full backs in a more conventional manner. 

Was Riccy one of the players who decided to stay last season because of Enzo and him leaving has raised question marks over his own commitment to the club. There could be interest from other clubs and he has said he would like to explore other opportunities. Let’s be honest any team adopting the inverted full back role and needing at natural to play there would probably consider him as a pretty cost effective solution. 

Cooper watched all of last seasons games, whilst I love Riccy we did become very susceptible to conceding goals from

teams targetting us in the spaces he left on the right and he did struggle in transitions. It certainly felt last night like he wanted Justin to stay at home and offer stability and in certain games will set us up to try and nullify the attacking threat of the opposition. 

Basically there could be a number of factors at play that is meaning Riccy has not been 1st choice, it could be player, manager or club driven. I am pretty sure it will becomE a lot clearer in the next couple of weeks. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, stevebfox said:

Ok, he was on the bench (he'd be in my starting 11), but when you take off Buonanotte why replace him with Soumare? Ricky makes far more sense to drop into that position. If Cooper was trying to protect the 1-1 then it didn't work, Soumare was jogging around and did nothing to close down and press. He certainly didn't create anything either! Ricky would have done far more work, held up the ball better and linked with Mavididi.

Squad has gone through a reset with Cooper coming in, I dont think Soumare will stay ahead of Ricky for the season.

There is something amiss about his absence, last night was crying out for him to come on for his football sense, nous and just better quality of passing, last 20 when we got the ball we needed to keep it and use it better, Mavididi & McAteer did a shift but Riccy or Hamza would have been a better bet than Soumare.

Hope I have read too much into it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Squad has gone through a reset with Cooper coming in, I dont think Soumare will stay ahead of Ricky for the season.

Lets's hope so, I just find it worrying that this was Cooper's thinking in the first place lol.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think he'll be one who leaves late in the window, will be a real shame but he's on massive wages for where we are as a club now.

After Vardy, I think this would be the the most gutting player for us to lose for me

• Like 4

10 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Justin was outstanding and pocketed Son

Massively supported by Fatawu certainly in the first half it was Fatawu who was the first line of defence against Son and did a very good job on him.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think he'll be one who leaves late in the window, will be a real shame but he's on massive wages for where we are as a club now.

It’s not impossible - I still think his reported  wage is wide of the mark. When he resigned he was still recovering from his injuries and I can’t accept we would have given him more than 75k. (Unless there was a prior agreement pre injury which the club felt they had to stick to) 

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Possible, could be Cooper has been told Rudkin is incapable of shifting squad players (in different words of course) so if he wants new bodies we need a star to leave to open up the budget.  Would explain his lack of action.  Hopefully my previous reply is more accurate.

Edited by Chrysalis

Just now, honeybradger said:

Son has lost his ability to take on players due to his old age. That wont have been the reason JJ played.

But let's not forget, this is the same Son who scored 17 goals and got 10 PL assists last season. 

It is not just about being taken on but about the ball played behind the full-back; he still has plenty of pace.

Son was in the 78th percentile for successful take on last season as a forward, where he played most of the season. He was not far behind Saka when playing as a winger; Son was in the 38th percentile, Saka 46th. 

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't see it.

We would then need another RB, who would cost a fee.

13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s not impossible - I still think his reported  wage is wide of the mark. When he resigned he was still recovering from his injuries and I can’t accept we would have given him more than 75k. (Unless there was a prior agreement pre injury which the club felt they had to stick to) 

I think it would have been us viewing the opportunity to keep Ricardo that had he not been struggling with injuries wouldn't have happened and would have given him a pay rise. 

42 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

JJ played RB because of Son's pace.

I expect Riccy to play a lot still this season. 

I'm really not convinced he has the physical attributes Cooper wants from his either his full backs or his midfielders

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

Possible, could be Cooper has been told Rudkin is incapable of shifting squad players (in different words of course) so if he wants new bodies we need a star to leave to open up the budget.  Would explain his lack of action.  Hopefully my previous reply is more accurate.

If Cooper wants to get rid of Ricky because of his highish wages, so he can get the likes of Jordan Ayew in, he's a total idiot.

• Like 1