Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Oliver Skipp Confirmed

Seems to me this signing and announcement was rushed to be before this game in order to try and appease the fans ahead of what could have been a hostile atmosphere.

Having said that - I think they've overestimated themselves and this signing somewhat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chappers200 said:

Seems to me this signing and announcement was rushed to be before this game in order to try and appease the fans ahead of what could have been a hostile atmosphere.

Having said that - I think they've overestimated themselves and this signing somewhat.

It’s much more likely that this signing was effectively agreed ages ago, but that Spurs wouldn’t allow it to go through before we played them.

1 minute ago, beastfootballx said:

Managers on Oliver Skipp:

Pochettino: "Fantastic. I think he plays like a 30-year-old man."

Mourinho: "I see him being one day a future captain."

Conte: "He could become a top midfielder & has desire to become an important player."”

Trevor Francis: 'The arrival of Adr Akinbiyi gave everyone a lift.  he's a natural born goal scorer'

Yeah,...manager quotes:wes:

I think people are over-reacting. 

We paid too much, yes but everything else about this signing, I like. He's young, has experience at this level, knows the manager and who is likely to be his CM partner, is apparently a work horse and is a leader. There is potential for a sell on profit and he improves our starting 11. It's a good signing. 

I honestly think that, had we got Zaha on loan for £8m and Hlozek with an option to buy and then signed Skipp like we were obviously wanting, the optics of this would be much better. 

Fee aside, I’m glad we’ve added another body to central midfield, the thought of having Soumare and Choudhury as back up options was too much of a depressing thought, hopefully this signing also means we’ll be saying cheerio to Soumare soon. 

Also from a negative standpoint, if we do get relegated, Skipp will probably be a magnificent asset to have in the Championship. 

• Like 1

Winks, Skipp - ex Spurs players whose names are verbs.

I like it.

I've hardly seen Skipp play recently, but still preferable to Soumare.

Good look to him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Micky said:

The money doesn't matter. What matters is if we have signed a really good player. Which we have. 

Of course it matters, that’s why we’re in so much shit with ffp. Signing hod carriers for 20+ mil is disgusting, no matter what spin you put on it

17 minutes ago, LestaLad said:

£20m and a sell on clause?? They’ve had Rudkin’s pants down on this one. 

I wouldn't be worried about the sell on clause. He'll leave for free at the end of his contract regardless of what happens in the 5 years before then. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, beastfootballx said:

Managers on Oliver Skipp:

Pochettino: "Fantastic. I think he plays like a 30-year-old man."

Mourinho: "I see him being one day a future captain."

Conte: "He could become a top midfielder & has desire to become an important player."”

Narrator: "Skipp went on to play for struggling Leicester"

I mean it sounds very boring but him and Winks should give us more control of the midfield and provide us a platform on which to attack. Both offer good ball retention and can dictate the pace (unlike an Ndidi/Hamza who I'd say are more ball winners than users) which given we may well be under the cosh in a lot of matches could prove valuable. We just now need to add the attacking threat - not an easy task. Might not be the signing we wanted, but could be a signing we needed.

• Like 3

I'll reserve my judgement until the window has closed. It's an area in which he will no doubt strengthen but there's clear priorities in other area of the pitch.

Also, I find it mental that we sell KDH, who progress through our academy, in order to meet PSR or whatever ruling it is, to then sign a player for a similar amount of money, who coincidentally came through the Spurs academy. The whole financial thing is a joke.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chappers200 said:

This is a club who's PR department refers to being in the ground as "in the bowl" and thinks free fox lollipops and clappers will improve the match going experience.

The real issue we have at the club is too many absolute chancers riding off the success of a few who are long gone. I think that extends to even departments like fan relations. They haven't got a clue and in the board room they'll all just point at the Premier League and FA Cup like Rodgers does his Gucci belt. We should just be grateful that all happened and accept the shit show about to unfold. 

• Thanks 1