Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Oliver Skipp Confirmed

5 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Double pivot podcast is pretty good. He's decent on analytics and a spurs fan, I'd take his opinion with a lot of credence on this tbh

The thing that surprised me was he looks tall… but is only 5ft 9.

I’m one of those that sees value in having players you can utilise at set pieces (both ends) - he’s not exactly one of them.

What’s surprised me even more - Winks is an inch taller at 5ft 10!

29 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

The O'Neill era was marked by unimpressive and unimaginative-looking signings which made you say 'oh, that old carthorse?!' or 'is that really what we need?'

I'm clinging on to the hope that these signings are in that Claridge / Keller / Prior / Marshall / Cottee / Taggart / Sinclair / Impey bracket, rather than anything from the Adams era. Even Pearson liked a few veterans, albeit at budget prices.

It's more expensive, even relatively speaking, than any of the aforementioned, but then again he's a good few years younger than most of them were. Even if Reid and, if he comes, Ayew, certainly aren't. And our recent recruitment hasn't always suggested that recruitment is in line with management. But you never know.

all our flashy signings are usually crap

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Can't we play him tonight under somone else's name.

He can’t lose tonight 

he’ll probably sit in the directors box and stand and clap politely in the unlikely instance that we score. Each time spurs score he’ll be punching the air (whilst sitting and not moving ) 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He can’t lose tonight 

he’ll probably sit in the directors box and stand and clap politely in the unlikely instance that we score. Each time spurs score he’ll be punching the air (whilst sitting and not moving ) 

With a half-half scarf on

28 minutes ago, shen said:

Seems extremely excessive this fee. How Winks is 10m and Skipp 20m is bewildering to me...

Skipp is 5 years younger and has a higher ceiling than Winks. He was also a key player and played virtually every minute on loan at Norwich in the Championship when they easily won the league. He’s worth a lot more than £10m. 

21 minutes ago, Viva said:

He was also a key player and played virtually every minute on loan at Norwich in the Championship when they easily won the league. He’s worth a lot more than £10m. 

Great, he'll come in handy next season

This is the kind of signing, that if another club (e.g palace) were making most of our fan base would be shouting about saying we should have got that done.

23, English, established, etc. look at where KDH was at 23…just breaking into our team and having to send him off to Luton on loan (back then in the champ).

Also, if we were signing the equivalent from a French, German, Spanish, Dutch etc team we would be all excited about it.

Give the lad a chance, he will end up being a very steady player for us for years…..hopefully. Better 20m spent than on Skipp than a 20m risk from another league imo. 

• Like 2

I don't mind this signing. It offers little creativity, but should make us harder to break down in midfield. That's vital given the lack of quality in our back line. He's expensive, but he's also young, experienced in this division and should have some resale value. I would like to see an exciting LB and an ST come in, possibly a CAM if possible, but I do actually think this is a sensible acquisition. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You don’t have to be ITK to make some very basic assumptions about this signing;

• This was a Cooper recommended signing.

• We accelerated the signing after missing out on other signings to get one over the line and show ‘backing’ to the manager.

• That no-one else had seriously come in for him, leaving our path clear - especially after agreeing the now widely reportedly fee.

• That had he still been on Tottenham’s books come deadline day, the fee would have been a lot less (probably more than half what we paid).

Another couple of observations are;

• The fee paid tends to have some correlation to what wages you pay - so he’s probably on an eye watering weekly amount to! 

• This is a transfer that will raise eyebrows within the squad, primarily due to the fee - and that fee puts undue pressure on Skipp himself.

• Pre-PSR days you could guarantee he would have been given a 3 year contract.

Of course amortisation means a 5 year contract is the norm now - but this just provides another indication of how broken the PSR regulations are and how they’re a detriment to prudent football finance.

So no offence to Oliver - I’m sure he’s a nice guy, a solid professional and could even turn out to be a good player for us - but I’m pretty certain no-one inside the club considers this a prudent deal. 

A necessary one, maybe, but not a value one.

All the best Skippy! 

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Foxandfolly said:

This is the kind of signing, that if another club (e.g palace) were making most of our fan base would be shouting about saying we should have got that done.

23, English, established, etc. look at where KDH was at 23…just breaking into our team and having to send him off to Luton on loan (back then in the champ).

Also, if we were signing the equivalent from a French, German, Spanish, Dutch etc team we would be all excited about it.

Give the lad a chance, he will end up being a very steady player for us for years…..hopefully. Better 20m spent than on Skipp than a 20m risk from another league imo. 

Have to agree.  

1 hour ago, Foxandfolly said:

Established? He was a rotation/backup player for Spurs. Despite breaking through a long time ago he's not been able to cement a place in the team. 

Compare this to the fee Spurs paid for Maddison, a high-scoring, high-assisting star player at Cov, Norwich and with us for several years in the PL.

It's just an eye-watering price and a fee we will likely never get close to recouping.

I hope he turns out fine...

• Like 2

I had a thought last night, perhaps this signing isn’t an indication that soumare is leaving but Hamza.

As Hamza would be all profit, a £5m deal to the championship would balance this years books for skipp. 

Maybe he’s got an offer from leeds or someone :dunno: it would be hard to argue he’s not an upgrade on hamza and that this would be good business 

Edited by Lambert09

21 hours ago, Izzy said:

Must admit I quite like an old skool tough tackling midfielder, it's a dying art.

You can see how he'll fit in with the system.

Ndidi was great at recovering the ball and pressing, but looked fairly lost when with the ball at his feet. 

Skipp should hopefully allow us to dictate play from both him and Winks.

• Like 1