Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Leicester 1- 1 Tottenham Post Match Thread

23 minutes ago, Quorndon_Fox said:

Also went awol and acted like an utter cvnt to force a move. Embarrassing by the time he left.

Im not bitter about it still…

My point being you can see why people at the time would have booed him.

Nah , It definitely sounds like you're still bitter 🤣 

I prefer to remember him as the most gifted player I've been lucky enough to watch in a Leicester shirt, who was a massive part in giving us our greatest period.... and who (unlike Kante) stayed for the champions league attempt 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CUJimmy said:

The last manager we had with strong Forest connections was not greeted enthusiastically by the fans - favourites for relegation but got a team playing with some fight.  

Didn’t turn out too badly if I remember correctly.

Megson !

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Few polite claps for Maddison fair enough, but those clapping him for his first 5 corners should be embarrassed. He got more applause yesterday when taking them than he did when he played for us!

Like you said the people clapping him would never have given him that much support when he played for us. He was here for however long and never got his name sung by the wider fanbase. Performative nonsense.

• Like 1

Those twenty minutes before Bentancur’s head injury from Mads save, I felt we played some great football at times and Spurs were defensively a mess and were the team on the ropes. It’s a shame that Vardy couldn’t have stuck that chance away  as it was a great move! Buonanotte looks some player. Fatawu, Winks Reid and Kristianson all put in a shift last night.

9 hours ago, orangecity23 said:

I think that's just Chris Kavanagh doing his usual Chris Kavanagh things.

Can’t stand Kavanagh, he refs like he’s in a dream, needs a right kick up the jacksie!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quorndon_Fox said:

Mainly applause near me, couple of boos but more in jest. 

Tbf to tha lad he came round and applauded the Leicester fans in the family end after he’d been over to the Spurs support.

I always thought he wouldn’t give a shit once he got his big move but gladly I can say I was wrong. 

Maddison also came over to East Stand and Kop to applause us as well which takes additional balls too.  

Did anyone noticed Porro blowing kisses at us as well after his goal?

Edited by The Blur

It felt to me like the second half was going the way of the first until we scored that goal out of nowhere. Then Spurs completely folded and we started playing like a team that thinks they deserve to be at this level. Until the Soumare change then we handed back the imitative.

Felt like the championship last season, the amount of chances we gifted and the opposition just hit their shots straight at Mads every time.

It was clear the players were playing for Cooper which is a good sign. I just hope that he and the players realise we don't just have to be here to make up the numbers and we can actually look dangerous ourselves if we actually try and get into the other teams half more than once every 20 minutes.

Was nice to see Maddison taking the sting out of every opposition attack instead of killing our attacks.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-not-normal-jamie-vardy-9494896

What 'not normal' Jamie Vardy told Steve Cooper to change Leicester City manager's plan
The Leicester City manager gives his thoughts on the 1-1 draw with Tottenham and Jamie Vardy's return from injury with the striker heading in the second-half equaliser

ByJordan Blackwell
00:01, 20 AUG 2024Updated00:05, 20 AUG 2024

Steve Cooper will do what it takes to ensure Jamie Vardy remains Leicester City’s “main man” this season as the number nine again defied the odds.

Vardy had been ruled out of Monday’s fixture with Spurs but returned from a month-long injury in the nick of time to score City’s equaliser and earn them a point. Had City opened their campaign over the weekend, he would not have been fit to play, manager Cooper said.

But Vardy, now 37, shook off the rust to head in Abdul Fatawu’s cross and quickly get up and running for the season. Cooper is keen to help him enjoy more moments like that over the next nine months.

“If the game was yesterday or Saturday, he wouldn’t have played,” Cooper said. “There were no mind games or lies. There were no lies in the press conference. I have done that before but I wasn’t this time.

“It wasn’t sitting right with him. He’s the main man here and we want that to continue. It wasn’t sitting right with him that we didn’t have a fit senior striker because Patson Daka is out for three months. He was feeling okay in his rehab, so he came to see me and declared himself fit. Go play, boy, no problem.

“For sure, he’s not normal in terms of what he can still produce at his age and the athlete he still is. He’s still hitting high speeds on tests in pre-season. He’s right up there in the top category. He’s hungry and motivated.

“We’re going to work strongly with him to make sure he has the right programme, respecting his body and what he feels is right for him. If we do that, we’ll be able to get more moments like tonight out of him. He’s the main man here and I want that to continue.”

Vardy scored as part of a superb second-half fightback, with City dominated in the first half but turning the game around. After they scored, they looked the team most likely to net a winner.

Cooper felt his team were well-placed to push for a second goal, but a serious head injury to Spurs midfielder Rodrigo Bentancur saw the game paused for more than five minutes and disrupted their momentum.

Cooper said: “The first half wasn’t what we intended it to be and what the plan was. We didn’t get our out-of-possession game right and the plan wasn’t delivered. Because of that, we couldn’t get our in-possession game going. We were too deep and gave up too much territory and against a team like Spurs, they’ll create chances.

“We showed some images at half-time about how we could get the press better and be more aggressive and play with more intent. We did that brilliantly. The in-possession game improved as well. I thought we were good for the equaliser and if anything I thought we’d get a second.

“I don’t wish an injury like Bentancur’s on anybody but in terms of the momentum in the game, it killed it for us. We had to try to get going again.

“I’ll look at the first half as much as the second half because that’s my job. I won’t walk out of here thinking that was a good second half, we’ll be alright. I’ll be asking why the first half wasn’t as it should have been.

“There must have been nerves and anxiety. To get that out of the way, to do what we did second half, a really good atmosphere, the supporters didn’t show any frustration and responded to the team’s improved performance, and it became a really difficult place for any opponent to play in. I think Spurs would have felt that.

“It’s not a win, it’s a point, but we’re up and running. It’s more than just a half-decent result, it helps with the confidence and belief as well.”

not sure what people saw in that to be positive besides the effort second half, because let's be honest it was a league one side vs prem side in the cup standard performance, get absolutely battered, rescued by your keeper and hope in the 15/20 minutes you get a big chance. 

In the championship you might get away with a 1st half like that as sides aren't as ruthless. 

The Prem is miles ahead and teams can put you away before you've got time to respond. 

Luckily for us it was Spurs , who have battered us quite a few times,  but were incredibly wasteful and will be wondering how they didn't have the game done by half time. 

Great fightback from Leicester though and great to see the fans get right behind them (Union FS 👏)

We'll need plenty more of that as well as a few more players , if we're going to compete this season🦊

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-not-normal-jamie-vardy-9494896

What 'not normal' Jamie Vardy told Steve Cooper to change Leicester City manager's plan
The Leicester City manager gives his thoughts on the 1-1 draw with Tottenham and Jamie Vardy's return from injury with the striker heading in the second-half equaliser

ByJordan Blackwell
00:01, 20 AUG 2024Updated00:05, 20 AUG 2024

Steve Cooper will do what it takes to ensure Jamie Vardy remains Leicester City’s “main man” this season as the number nine again defied the odds.

Vardy had been ruled out of Monday’s fixture with Spurs but returned from a month-long injury in the nick of time to score City’s equaliser and earn them a point. Had City opened their campaign over the weekend, he would not have been fit to play, manager Cooper said.

But Vardy, now 37, shook off the rust to head in Abdul Fatawu’s cross and quickly get up and running for the season. Cooper is keen to help him enjoy more moments like that over the next nine months.

“If the game was yesterday or Saturday, he wouldn’t have played,” Cooper said. “There were no mind games or lies. There were no lies in the press conference. I have done that before but I wasn’t this time.

“It wasn’t sitting right with him. He’s the main man here and we want that to continue. It wasn’t sitting right with him that we didn’t have a fit senior striker because Patson Daka is out for three months. He was feeling okay in his rehab, so he came to see me and declared himself fit. Go play, boy, no problem.

“For sure, he’s not normal in terms of what he can still produce at his age and the athlete he still is. He’s still hitting high speeds on tests in pre-season. He’s right up there in the top category. He’s hungry and motivated.

“We’re going to work strongly with him to make sure he has the right programme, respecting his body and what he feels is right for him. If we do that, we’ll be able to get more moments like tonight out of him. He’s the main man here and I want that to continue.”

Vardy scored as part of a superb second-half fightback, with City dominated in the first half but turning the game around. After they scored, they looked the team most likely to net a winner.

Cooper felt his team were well-placed to push for a second goal, but a serious head injury to Spurs midfielder Rodrigo Bentancur saw the game paused for more than five minutes and disrupted their momentum.

Cooper said: “The first half wasn’t what we intended it to be and what the plan was. We didn’t get our out-of-possession game right and the plan wasn’t delivered. Because of that, we couldn’t get our in-possession game going. We were too deep and gave up too much territory and against a team like Spurs, they’ll create chances.

“We showed some images at half-time about how we could get the press better and be more aggressive and play with more intent. We did that brilliantly. The in-possession game improved as well. I thought we were good for the equaliser and if anything I thought we’d get a second.

“I don’t wish an injury like Bentancur’s on anybody but in terms of the momentum in the game, it killed it for us. We had to try to get going again.

“I’ll look at the first half as much as the second half because that’s my job. I won’t walk out of here thinking that was a good second half, we’ll be alright. I’ll be asking why the first half wasn’t as it should have been.

“There must have been nerves and anxiety. To get that out of the way, to do what we did second half, a really good atmosphere, the supporters didn’t show any frustration and responded to the team’s improved performance, and it became a really difficult place for any opponent to play in. I think Spurs would have felt that.

“It’s not a win, it’s a point, but we’re up and running. It’s more than just a half-decent result, it helps with the confidence and belief as well.”

Very encouraging assessment from cooper, making changes quickly, and showing the team how to change. I’ve moaned about managers being too stubborn in the past like maresca and Rodgers. Hopefully a manager not afraid to change things. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

not sure what people saw in that to be positive besides the effort second half, because let's be honest it was a league one side vs prem side in the cup standard performance, get absolutely battered, rescued by your keeper and hope in the 15/20 minutes you get a big chance. 

You must be having a laugh :ph34r:, it was two evenly matched sides was the way it was imo, yes it was a bit apprehensive from us in the first half, but that's to be expected because it's our first game back in the premier league but we more than matched Spurs and can compete at this level no doubt about that.

7 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Laugh a minute... 

Oh, another thing to add to my earlier bit about players leading by example and raising standards - there was a point towards the end where we got two corners in a row and Winks' decent near post delivery wasn't attacked for the first.

Harry went absolutely mental, basically ran twenty yards to yell at the lads to make runs and attack the ball. Was good to see. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Thank goodness the manager and players don't seem to share the mentality of the fanbase...

52 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Just watched the extended highlights - highly amused by the commentator struggling to pronounce all the syllables in Buonanotte :D 

Alan Brazil is pure comedy gold on Talksport for this. Hilarious. 

28 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It was clear the players were playing for Cooper which is a good sign. I just hope that he and the players realise we don't just have to be here to make up the numbers and we can actually look dangerous ourselves if we actually try and get into the other teams half more than once every 20 minutes.

We looked nervous and treated them with too much respect, but the goal gave us a massive boost of confidence and belief.

In the first half, we sat off and let them play. For that 20-minute period, we got in their faces and stepped onto them. 

We need to compensate for the lack of quality with aggression, work rate, and passion. Get into the team and have a go.  

• Like 1