Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
420Hashish

Fulham v Leicester - Pre-match thread (August 24th)

53 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Same Fulham who battered us 5-3 we were in the PL in 22/23, we had a front 3 of Vardy, Barnes and Maddison that day, do you think the current front 3 are better? 

In 22/23 we won more games then Forest, and the same as Everton, we went down because we were a soft touch and lost to many games.

The other stayed up on the back of picking up draws.

Being tough to beat isn't a bad thing. 

Not the same Fulham team and not the same leicester team is it, we're arguably weaker of course. 

But it was precisely those sort of tactics by Rodgers and ridiculous team and formation selections that caused it . Slow starts, pissing around tippy tappy at the back and no penetrative. You've named three players and there were more that were well capable of causing damage to the opposition. We didn't even try!

Here's some pre-match reading if you fancy taking your mind off the actual game - looking at the first time Leicester won at Fulham and what was happening at the time including some links to the local area, World War One, Leicester Fosse players who fought in the war and how it all ties in to the UFS boat trip this Saturday:

https://www.thefosseway.net/viewpoint/leicester-city-oars-war-dying-day-fulham

6 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Not the same Fulham team and not the same leicester team is it, we're arguably weaker of course. 

But it was precisely those sort of tactics by Rodgers and ridiculous team and formation selections that caused it . Slow starts, pissing around tippy tappy at the back and no penetrative. You've named three players and there were more that were well capable of causing damage to the opposition. We didn't even try!

We scored 2 at Spur and Brighton and 3 at Fulham.

The issue was BR couldn't create a cohesive defence structure, we were woeful on the transition and too open. 

I think we can be defensive sound and also be on the front foot, we have the resource to play really well on the break. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

The issue was BR couldn't create a cohesive defence structure, we were woeful on the transition and too open. 

I think we can be defensive sound and also be on the front foot, we have the resource to play really well on the break. 

Absolutely, I agree. Add another forward to cover Vardy and I think we could have a good go. The second half Spurs performance has to give them confidence. If we play and at least have a go like that but still go down because of points deduction then so be it, I'll be proud of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

If we had anybody but Ward in goal, we would've survived. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Same team as against Spurs. 

Skipp on for Buonanotte later in the game if we get a lead and Stephy on when Vardy slows up. 

Agreed, I don’t see how you change from the first 11 - there’s a game against Tranmere on the following Tuesday to do squad rotation.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sm1 said:

If we had anybody but Ward in goal, we would've survived. 

He wasn't the only issue.

We conceded 5 to Fulham with Iversen in goal. 

in 12 games with Iversen in goal we conceded 22 goals, at average of 1.83 goals a game. 

The issue was deeper then just Ward. 

• Like 2

"I was close to being convinced we were adding two attacking players, but it didn’t play out as we hoped.”

“I think we’re close, but we’ve been closer than we feel today"

These two lines make me very nervous - basically saying, until the fat lady sings, there's every possibility Rudders can F it up

• Like 3

I'd desperately like some points from this as redemption for the debacle last time we visited Craveb Cottage. And to mitigate the pain I'm experiencing at paying out for seats in the Riverside stand! 

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

That Fulham game was the final nail in the coffin - after a bit of promise and improved performances, Smith took us there and decided to play peak Rodgersball against a team well-known for pace, pressing and overloads at the time. We got absolutely destroyed.

I'm hoping it will be very different this time - second half on Monday was definitely the blueprint. These are no mugs though, and will be looking to respond after performing well but coming out with nothing against a jammy Man Utd. side. We'll have to stay switched on and ride our luck a bit, then aim to play through their lines like we increasingly did against Spurs. I'd take another draw but this is winnable with the right application.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

That Fulham game was the final nail in the coffin - after a bit of promise and improved performances, Smith took us there and decided to play peak Rodgersball against a team well-known for pace, pressing and overloads at the time. We got absolutely destroyed.

I'm hoping it will be very different this time - second half on Monday was definitely the blueprint. These are no mugs though, and will be looking to respond after performing well but coming out with nothing against a jammy Man Utd. side. We'll have to stay switched on and ride our luck a bit, then aim to play through their lines like we increasingly did against Spurs. I'd take another draw but this is winnable with the right application.

Yes a draw away at Fulham would be a decent result. No need to over respect them though. I  too think that with the right application we could cause an upset.