Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

New Leicester City Deal For Kasey McAteer

2 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Great to see another academy graduate getting game time in the Prem. He probably does need a loan to help him develop but he'll be a decent squad player for us. I think he has the minerals to keep improving.

Yep - he could develop into a rock in time 

• Haha 2

Good news, he deserved it after last season.

Will be interesting to see if he goes out on loan or not. In his short cameo against Spurs his tendancy to be a ball of energy was extremely useful and he helped us make sure we got something from the game. It might be unfair for his development to be used like that, but it's a pretty useful set of skills to have in the squad. He's definitely the sort of player you can bring on with 30 to go whose energy goes a long way.

• Like 2

I don't think he'll make it as PL player, however if he kicks on after a good loan he could be a useful squad player or we sell him for a decent fee. Seems like great lad and his attitude is first class, nice to have players that care.

In a counter attacking football team I can see him being a decent impact sub. He loses the ball a lot but that's less critical when you aren't exposing yourselves in a high line against teams in a low block.

I'd keep him around until at least January anyway.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I don't think he'll make it as PL player, however if he kicks on after a good loan he could be a useful squad player or we sell him for a decent fee. Seems like great lad and his attitude is first class, nice to have players that care.

He didn’t look out of place at all last night and gave us an enormous energy boost. What wouldn’t he make it as a PL player?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The_77 said:

He didn’t look out of place at all last night and gave us an enormous energy boost. What wouldn’t he make it as a PL player?

It was a brief cameo in frankly what was quite a bizarre game - it’s not that telling.

From his much more comprehensive amount of Championship minutes he looked a physically capable grafter with good timing off the ball. In possession he’s limited, I can’t recall him playing many positive passes so he’s uncreative and he’s a bit awkward at dribbling.

That skillset translates to being Championship standard in my opinion, I’d love him to prove me wrong but creativity isn’t something players add to their game.

3 minutes ago, Stadt said:

It was a brief cameo in frankly what was quite a bizarre game - it’s not that telling.

From his much more comprehensive amount of Championship minutes he looked a physically capable grafter with good timing off the ball. In possession he’s limited, I can’t recall him playing many positive passes so he’s uncreative and he’s a bit awkward at dribbling.

That skillset translates to being Championship standard in my opinion, I’d love him to prove me wrong but creativity isn’t something players add to their game.

I get that, definitely fair points about Kasey. I don’t expect him to be the next Mo Salah but his movement is very intelligent and I think he’s a very clever player. I have a feeling he’ll have a successful career in the top flight. 

36 minutes ago, The_77 said:

Yes I totally agree. Given his time in the first team he is certainly making a good case for developing into a useful asset. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sly said:

He’s a strange one, as you watch him and he doesn’t do anything particularly well. However he scores goals. 

Frank Lampard was the same. 

Reminds me of David Platt, who also had a knack of getting goals.

• Like 1

Hopefully he puts in a few decent performances and we can get a fee in Jan/summer

Seems a class lad, cant knock his attitude and knack of ending up in the right spot. For me though, he's nowhere near Premier League level, I have my doubts about him at championship level. 

His speed of thought, decision making and technical ability just dont seem up to the level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_77 said:

The floor for players to make the step up isn't as high as people think anyway. If the system suits him he'll be capable, especially on last night's showing.

His skillset and habit of ghosting into goalscoring positions reminds me a bit of Andy King, and despite people saying the same about him ad nauseum he was still a regular for us for 3 years in the top flight. It was only the move to possession footy under Puel which for right or wrong exposed his shortcomings.

If Cooper thinks he has a part to play, he'll feature. We're going to need to graft this season and Kasey does that in spades.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Mcateer is probably a good example of how the loan system can fail young players. Went on loan to a league 2 side and hardly played.

Stayed with us the following season and got far more minutes playing for the best side in the championship and that's despite him being injured for a decent spell. Now it looks like he's going to be one of the first options off the bench for a PL side.

Loans arent the fix all for young players like they are made out to be, in Mcateer's case they could very well have ruined him had Maresca not given him a chance. I say keep him and let him adjust to the Prem.

Very good point. It’s probably a case by case basis but sometimes 5 PL/Ch starts and regular 20 minutes cameos for someone like Braybrooke could be better than playing 35 games in an attritional League One season.